Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 07:40 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times

Advertisements

We left a union state and moved to NC, a right to work state, and we made more money in doing so. Now we live in another right to work state and my wife makes even more. So I am very happy to live in states where we have a right to work, without being forced into a union. More options for us. And I am the son of an ex union worker. He lost his job in his 50's, when GM shut down their plant and he never got another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We like it because it's different.
I'm always happy to add to my pizza repertoire

Old 10-10-2015, 09:13 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
What's wrong with complaining about the "pizza" down here?
Not a thing. Learn to like Dominoes thin crust.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 AM

913 posts, read 885,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's a conundrum.

Right to work, lower wages, lower COL, lower property taxes, lower state income taxes...more "takers."

Unions, higher wages, higher COL, higher property taxes, higher state income taxes...less "takers."

If you're a person who isn't on public assistance and your financial and QOL pictures are strongly improved by moving to the South, is that not a form of profiting from the system?
Well in my case moving away from harsh winters had a side effect of lower taxes. I also benefit buy not needing to be in a good school district in NY which also gives me lower taxes. So I can enjoy lower taxes all around and no harsh winters. Works for me! Don't really see that as profiting from the system, but as I said never meant this to turn into a big discussion. Just wanted to state a fact.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:27 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Living up in NJ forever hardly ever visit Manhattan anyway so moving South for retirement was a no brainer for me. Better weather cheaper RE and property taxes. Slower pace suits me fine might no be for everybody but I love it.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
can someone explain this slower pace thing please

do you sprint places or what

Old 10-10-2015, 12:37 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
can someone explain this slower pace thing please

do you sprint places or what
I've always seen it as moving with less urgency. Sometimes a blessing sometimes a curse. Less frantic and more relaxed in physical movement,conversation and work related activities. It's the person who gives a sec of small talk at the register versus the deli guy who curses if you don't hurry the F up. Its often regional is to whom you see as the bad one. Those are the petty complaints but these regional differences are more critical in the workplace and the boardroom then the city streets.

Another good example of slower vs fast paced is going through life on a Sunday drive versus a rush hour commute.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
I always said the most stressful thing about my NYC job was the commute from LI. It really wore on me. I did it for 7 years. At times it even felt dangerous from overcrowding when there were train delays and issues. And before that I did it for 2 years while living in Manhattan - even that commute was rough at times due to subway overcrowding (I took the 6). Although I might still have to do it once in awhile when we go to visit family (my new company has an office there), I am still thankful most mornings to not have to deal with that anymore. It was exciting at first but the novelty quickly wore off for me. Some people I know love the commute and that's great for them!
When I worked in Exxon-Mobil HQ in NYC, I walked to work from a middle income project.

Left because we needed a 3 BR unit and none were available. Wound up in New Orleans until coming here in 1989.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
When I worked in Exxon-Mobil HQ in NYC, I walked to work from a middle income project.

Left because we needed a 3 BR unit and none were available. Wound up in New Orleans until coming here in 1989.
Really? I never saw you mention that particular employer before. Must have been tough to give that up, but you obviously seem very happy with living in NC now and I always say happiness is more important than money.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
We've been here about 4 months, and I just don't see the whole "slower pace" thing. It actually took me weeks to get used to how fast people drive around here (and I'm from MA). While driving as a whole is much less stressful due to the modern infrastructure and well-planned roads, there is no shortage of people flying and bobbing in and out of traffic in order to get to their destination 60 seconds sooner. Speed limits are higher here than what I was used to, which is a good thing, but I often see people driving 55-65 mph in 45 mph zones which I think is a bit much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary