Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 12:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
It is reallllyyyy ok to keep liking food you used to like even though you moved.

Really.

I'm so glad I've only heard this little meme on this forum.

To be blunt it's completely asinine and provincial.

It would certainly also be ok to move to NY and look for eastern Carolina barbecue, or wish you could find it.

It's all going to be ok.
Yup. I didn't quit liking foods I grew up eating here when I moved to Chicago.

I didn't gripe to the locals about their culinary choice deficiencies, but we definitely lamented over it at home amongst ourselves.

I think this is what most people do, no?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:14 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
I moved from the northeast, but have lived in TX and spent time in St. Louis, and while I too could find great pizza, I could not find a good variety of quality Q. Must not have many transplants from TX and St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yup. I didn't quit liking foods I grew up eating here when I moved to Chicago.

I didn't gripe to the locals about their culinary choice deficiencies, but we definitely lamented over it at home amongst ourselves.

I think this is what most people do, no?
Yes, we do it at 2:17 am. What you doin up.....lol?

Old 10-11-2015, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I'm a night owl.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Us CDF'ers are a wild and crazy late night bunch. Roaming the streets of the interweb drunk with information.

As far as Pizzagate goes,here's my stance.
Disclaimer:I've never had pizza in NY

I don't believe that the pizza in NY is so much better or different then pizza sold anywhere else. It's just that it's the pizza "you" grew up eating and its the sentimentality more then the actual taste. If I asked 10 people from NYC where the best NY pizza is, I bet I'd get 10 different answers. Same here when it comes to BBQ.

Now I do understand moving to an area and missing food if it's not available or the selection is lacking. But pizza? It seems to me that most places in the US have that covered. How many pizzerias exsist just in the Triangle alone? If you can't find a decent slice in Cary, it's not because we don't have good pizza. It's just not from the place you went back home.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
U
Now I do understand moving to an area and missing food if it's not available or the selection is lacking. But pizza? It seems to me that most places in the US have that covered. How many pizzerias exsist just in the Triangle alone? If you can't find a decent slice in Cary, it's not because we don't have good pizza. It's just not from the place you went back home.
Nope, it's a specific style of pizza just like Chicago is a specific style, etc. However, it can be found here easily.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 AM

547 posts, read 775,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I recently discovered that I like Blaze.
Blaze is the closest "New Haven" style pizza around here. pretty good for a fast casual.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:07 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Us CDF'ers are a wild and crazy late night bunch. Roaming the streets of the interweb drunk with information.

As far as Pizzagate goes,here's my stance.
Disclaimer:I've never had pizza in NY

I don't believe that the pizza in NY is so much better or different then pizza sold anywhere else. It's just that it's the pizza "you" grew up eating and its the sentimentality more then the actual taste. If I asked 10 people from NYC where the best NY pizza is, I bet I'd get 10 different answers. Same here when it comes to BBQ.
There is some truth to this as everyone has their neighborhood favorite, BUT there is a difference. When I travel to Queens or LI and we have pizza, regardless of where it's from, there is just a different aroma that fills the car as we take the 'pie' home. They're larger, along the style of Randy's Pizza. Hard to describe. Maybe because they're made by a 55 year old guy named Tony,Vito, or Vinnie and not some high school kid

whaddyagonnado?

Old 10-11-2015, 10:25 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Nope, it's a specific style of pizza just like Chicago is a specific style, etc. However, it can be found here easily.
I understand its a style of pizza just like Chicago deep dish or California style. My question is if Vinnie opens a pizzeria in Holly Springs using the same ingredients and recipe of an establishment in NY, will it not taste just as good? Some say it's the water. Who knows?

I just don't believe there is only one recipe for NY pizza that's only used above the Mason Dixon line. It's not like there aren't any pizza places here that serve NY style pizza. I love Sicilian slices and Casalinga used to have my favorite,their NY style wasn't shabby either. Do I use that experience to set the bar? Yeh,sometimes but it's cause I liked the pizza they made whether it was in NC or NY. It had nothing to do with the region. Started the love affair with Sicilian pizza back when I lived in Kinngsport TN. However I don't go around complaining that nowhere has pizza like TN.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Blaze is the closest "New Haven" style pizza around here. pretty good for a fast casual.
I just Googled "The Blaze" and all I came up with was some nut job talking about the end of days. Nothing about pizza. What am I missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary