Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 05:53 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i dont even know how to say pin different from pen
pin rhymes with kin, bin, sin, chin

pen rhymes or sounds like ken, ben, send, bend, lend

And being from Pennsyvania, Mary, marry, and merry are all pronounced differently, too. But I cannot explain it over the Internet. I tried once, but I failed miserably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We have a family story about when pizza first made in-roads into mainstream restaurants in the South as a new-fangled and exotic menu item. Auntie wanted to try it, but instead of saying "Pete-Za", she said it with a soft "i" and soft "z", which is what it looks like if you're a Southerner with limted exposure to Italian. The way she pronounced it the first syllable rhymed with fizz, so like "fizz-a", but "pizz-a" and added on the "pie" part. She said "I think I'll try a piece of that pizz-a pie". Think Aunt Bea.
Ha! Funny story!

Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
pin rhymes with kin, bin, sin, chin

pen rhymes or sounds like ken, ben, send, bend, lend

And being from Pennsyvania, Mary, marry, and merry are all pronounced differently, too. But I cannot explain it over the Internet. I tried once, but I failed miserably.
Yeah. Those are tough to explain minus audio. All three are different for me, too. I'm an anomaly, though.

Mary and merry are almost the same. Marry is totally different.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:21 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
We just got back from our trip there and I heard awesome southern accents all over the place. I love the southern accent, and was a little disappointed that I might not get to hear it. I wasn't denied.

I didn't ask anyone with the accent where they were from originally, so they might not be natives. But I never understood any kind of disdain about accents anyway. I like them all, and don't try to hide mine. It is very hard for me to talk to someone with a southern accent and not slip into it here and there either.

When I lived in Florida, my coworkers routinely made fun of my accent, asking me to say water and mother and father. It gets irritating after a while. So I adopted an overly thick southern drawl when I talked to them, and they stopped. lol

Old 10-18-2015, 11:53 AM

547 posts, read 775,091 times
Had Brixx last night at Bradford plaza...pretty decent. I like the light thin crust types "pies" though..

Old 10-18-2015, 12:23 PM

62 posts, read 68,523 times
We moved to NC 25 years ago and met transplants who came in with other groups 10 years before us. The influx has been happening for a long time. The early transplants are now connected to the state because they have since spawned two generations of NC-born residents.

Initially, our realtor talked us into moving into a subdivision where "you'll be comfortable; plenty of other people just like you." After about 6 months, we realized just what an insult that was and started looking around. We figured that we'd likely spend the rest of our lives here, we should work on assimilation and moved to a more rural area where there were few transplants. We found it easier to come to love this state than most of our fellow transplants, who continued to live in enclaves of other transplants and weren't as interested in exploring.

My advice? Move where you feel it is best. Choice in schools and amenities might be a bigger factor for some than it was for us, but get out and get to know the rest of the state. Blue Ridge Country and Our State are good magazines. Try to find time to explore the not-so-touristy places. Yes, everyone thinks "visiting the mountains" mean going to Boone or Asheville or "going to the beach" means Myrtle Beach (*blech* ). Buy something like a Delorme map and take the time to Google the smaller areas and visit them.

You'll never be a native, but it's easier to be accepted if you show a sincere interest and knowledge of your new home.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 AM

21 posts, read 33,856 times
Not to derail from pizza haha - but I found this to be a really great read: Flight of the Yankees: New Jerseyans go South - Tax Crisis Tax Crisis

Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Kind of a disgusting article pretty much reinforces the stereotypes of NC as a cheap place to take advantage of and natives are too stupid to know what to do with it. Saying NC has bottom barrel education and jersey is top in the nation....

Ugh...

Old 10-19-2015, 10:08 AM

It was an interesting article to read, although some of the comparisons were strange. The first family profiled, the Nangles moved from urban Jersey City to suburban Cary. So the article highlighted the price difference between an apartment in Jersey City and an apartment in Cary, but they are not an apples to apples comparison. And then the one guy with the 4 children in Chapter 5, Cooper said he could rent a 3-bedroom place in Cary starting at $900. While I'm not very familiar with rental prices in Cary, that sounds awfully low to me. But overall, it seemed like they tried to be balanced giving the pros and cons of each state. I laughed when the one guy who moved to Charlotte said the only thing he missed is good bagels and pizza. See, it's not just those of us on C-D who miss it! (I actually really like Randy's pizza, btw!)

Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Kind of a disgusting article pretty much reinforces the stereotypes of NC as a cheap place to take advantage of and natives are too stupid to know what to do with it. Saying NC has bottom barrel education and jersey is top in the nation....

Ugh...
I completely admit to just skimming through quickly but am not sure the article is anti-NC as you say. It lays out the economic hardships that are faced trying to raise a family in NJ, which is the main reason people are swarming here - but certainly not that natives are too stupid to know what to do with it! Eh, maybe I need to read it again.

If the test score data are accurate, then that's what they are...seems off, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary