Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM

143 posts, read 201,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith713 View Post
Bingo, nothing more frustrating than people moving here because where they came from sucked, then trying to turn this area into what they left.
Well to be fair, some of us came here because we had no choice - not because we didn't like where we were.

* looks innocent *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:06 PM

97 posts, read 115,280 times
It's funny, I moved here from LI in April and most of the people I have met and work with are from the northeast (NJ, NY, New England) yet I find people here generally to be more friendly. Maybe they are less stressed? Maybe its the weather? Or maybe everyone is embracing southern charm?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:10 PM

595 posts, read 676,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin257 View Post
It's funny, I moved here from LI in April and most of the people I have met and work with are from the northeast (NJ, NY, New England) yet I find people here generally to be more friendly. Maybe they are less stressed? Maybe its the weather? Or maybe everyone is embracing southern charm?
This matches my experience as well. We've been here since July 2014. My theory is that people in general are just less anxious, angry and frustrated. If I think of my situation when I worked in NYC, all my colleagues would arrive to work after a long, frustrating and expensive commute. Before your day has even started, you're in a bad place. And as the day progresses, what do you have to look forward to...another, long, frustrating and expensive commute. Week, after week, after week...

I've legitimately gained 2-3 hours of my life back everyday. I see the transformation in my friends that transferred down as well. I've worked with these same folks for years and we're all so much happier than where we came from.

Even if you take the work aspect out it, everything seems much easier here. If I need to run to Lowes or Home Depot on a Saturday morning, I just drive over, park near the entrance. Grocery store is the same experience. It's so much easier to run in and out without any crowds or lines.

And I think the overall aesthetic is just nicer and cleaner. Things here are newer and clean. One thing that I couldn't get over when we went back to NJ in May to visit was how dirty and worn everything seemed.

The honeymoon phase is still going strong with me. I still feel incredibly lucky I had the opportunity to move back here. I truly love my life down here and it's where I was meant to be. As a kid I lived in Raleigh from 2-8th grade. This is where I have always told people I am "from" and it feels like home to me.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:23 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
Even if you take the work aspect out it, everything seems much easier here. If I need to run to Lowes or Home Depot on a Saturday morning, I just drive over, park near the entrance. Grocery store is the same experience. It's so much easier to run in and out without any crowds or lines.

And I think the overall aesthetic is just nicer and cleaner. Things here are newer and clean. One thing that I couldn't get over when we went back to NJ in May to visit was how dirty and worn everything seemed.

As compared to the NE it is so refreshing to not have to stand in line ANYWHERE you go! Another thing..Motor Vehicles dept. employees are nice. I went to get DMV to get a request for a new title since I lost mine. Very helpful and friendly clerk. Was back there about 3 weeks later and the clerk said "Hey, I remember you...are you all set with the title now?". This was not in some pokey little office, it was the busy one in South Hills plaza.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
This matches my experience as well. We've been here since July 2014. My theory is that people in general are just less anxious, angry and frustrated. If I think of my situation when I worked in NYC, all my colleagues would arrive to work after a long, frustrating and expensive commute. Before your day has even started, you're in a bad place. And as the day progresses, what do you have to look forward to...another, long, frustrating and expensive commute. Week, after week, after week...

I've legitimately gained 2-3 hours of my life back everyday. I see the transformation in my friends that transferred down as well. I've worked with these same folks for years and we're all so much happier than where we came from.
Had this same conversation earlier today and I agree completely. I think people here are much friendlier and less stressed, both transplants and native for the reasons you mentioned!

Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM

814 posts, read 911,224 times
I went from NY to Va and had no problem adjusting to the southern culture, to be honest I like it better. Down here is not New York and honestly this obsession with pizza and bagels baffles me.

Pizza is played out in my opinion and when I lived in New York I got my bagels from Shop Rite. Now I get the Thomas bagels from my local Food Lion, its just a bagel.

NY, CT, NJ, they are all in trouble because they cannot continue to tax the people so heavily that they feel poor. The northern states are very democratic and if they dont change their ways ya'll might become the next Detroit.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
I can't understand why anyone from the north would want to move down here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...d-schools.html

900k...just not cutting it anymore

Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,506 times
I'm from NC originally but I left 40 years ago for college. I raised my family in Rochester NY and central New Jersey. I always wanted to return to NC but honestly I feel more like a "Yankee" than a southerner. The construction manager for our new home jokingly asked me if there any people left in NJ. We've been here a year and almost everyday I see NJ tags on cars so I know why he asked that question. I like the area and my wife loves it. But sometimes I'm concerned about the less progressive turn in the state, specifically what's happening with education/teachers and the more conservative state government. As someone born in NC and now in my early 60's, I hope NC continues to be part of the "new south." I remember the "old south." And in spite of yearnings for the good old days by some, they were not good for everyone.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 PM

814 posts, read 911,224 times
Unbelivable. My house was 150k, both my boys graduated high school, they both had gpa's good enough for 4 years of college.

Granted they didnt go to a magnet school but thats how much bs northerns are willingly to swallow, I'll pay 900k for good schools smh, all forms of education are good if you attend with the motivation to learn.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:18 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith713 View Post
Bingo, nothing more frustrating than people moving here because where they came from sucked, then trying to turn this area into what they left.
That's the thing though....they aren't TRYING to turn this area into what they left; it's just happening "naturally" as a result of them all moving here.

I don't have any feelings of personal resentment towards any specific individual who chooses to relocate to this area; from the Northeast or anywhere else. I am just wary of the effects the influx is having on quality of life and cost of living here; especially in the past 10 years.

This could be the "forum-effect" of reading a lot of people's comments here (and other places on the internet) but there's a certain level of naivety coming from a lot of recent or prospective transplants that makes me wince a little bit. It's almost as if they think moving here is a "no-brainer".... "Well gee....my property taxes will be lower and I'll have a bigger and newer house..plus no more snow!....how could anyone not make that move!"

When thousands and thousands of people collectively have that same "aha" moment; it really makes said realization less potent. And it's all relative. Sure, it may currently be less expensive, less crowded, and more "easy going" than the NYC or DC metro areas here now. But it is, to a (personally) alarming degree..noticeable more expensive, more, crowded, and less easygoing each and every year living here as the mass influx continues.

Ask anyone who has lived here (who isn't a Realtor) for more than 15 + years.....even people who transplants themselves before then (our resident bitter and hyperbolic New Orleans/NYC expat notwithstanding) and I imagine the majority would agree with the above analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary