Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,367 times

Advertisements

We came because we both lost jobs in 2007 and a company in NC was the first to make an offer. Wouldn't have considered relocating to an area where we knew nobody, until I checked out housing prices and real estate taxes, and realized that it was effectively doubling our household income, and without the PITA long commute. Awesome! So here we are.

I didn't love everything about the northeast, and I don't want to recreate it here. But, at the same time, just because we made the choice to move, doesn't mean that we should have to accept every aspect of Wake County without question or critique. This is our home now, too, and if I have an opinion, I don't like feeling that I shouldn't voice it, just because I wasn't born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
Well, I can tell you why this northerner is moving. Reason #1 is because my sister is in Chapel Hill. Reason #2 is that NJ is becoming the meanest, cruelest state in the country in terms of general population. If you're familiar with Chris Christie, you know what I mean. It's the "You Wanna Piece-a-Me??" state. See also: NJ drivers -- mean AND crazy. Reason #3 is property taxes. I want to retire in a few years and I can't do it with paying $9000-$12,000/year in taxes. Reason #4: Winters. My husband passed away two years ago and I really can't manage the winters with multiple feet of snow and power that goes out for days if a snowflake falls. Reason #5: I just need a change.

I don't expect NY-style pizza. I don't particularly like bagels (who needs bagels when you have biscuits???), so I don't care if what you can get there are "real" bagels. I will miss Jewish-style deli, but Katz's will ship corned beef and knishes anywhere.

To move someplace else and then complain that it is not like the place you left is just plain stupid. If you want it to be like the place you are leaving, then don't leave!
You are going to be FINE! Good luck!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
@NorasMom: Obviously you do not take I-80 West to get to work every day. :-)

NJ is not a homogeneous state. The western and southern parts of the state are more rural and more relaxed. I am in Bergen County, which is crowded and over-trafficked. So that is where my perspective comes from.
I lived in Passaic, Essex, Hudson, and Somerset counties, went to college in Newark, and as a news reporter I was all over the central and northern parts of the state. I grew up with kids whose parents were mafia - several - and kids whose parents were ministers. I know the state VERY well. Not sure why you would assume I'm from rural NJ.

Yep, Christie was elected twice - same phenomenon as Trump's success. He's a bully, people know it (now more than ever), but that doesn't mean they act like him.

You painted people from NJ as people who want to punch you in the face.

Simply not true - not even the people I know from mafia families.

I realize you were just being creative but my point was - they may not know the difference here, and considering the animosity toward people from NYC/NJ at least on this forum, might be better not to do that.

Glad you're leaving it and you'll like it more here, but no need to add to the animosity.

Last edited by NM posts; 10-13-2015 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: added more details.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I lived in Passaic, Essex, Hudson, and Somerset counties, went to college in Newark, and as a news reporter I was all over the central and northern parts of the state. I grew up with kids whose parents were mafia - several - and kids whose parents were ministers. I know the state VERY well. Not sure why you would assume I'm from rural NJ.

Yep, Christie was elected twice - same phenomenon as Trump's success. He's a bully, people know it (now more than ever), but that doesn't mean they act like him.

I realize you were just being creative but my point was - they may not know the difference here, and considering the animosity toward people from NYC/NJ at least on this forum, might be better not to do that.

Glad you're leaving it and you'll like it more here, but no need to add to the animosity.
New Jersey always gets a bad rap! Even though I have never lived there, I have spent a lot of time there, having grown up in neighboring Philadelphia. I always find the need to defend it because many people only know what they see on shows like Jersey Shore or Housewives of New Jersey or what they have seen off the New Jersey Turnpike. New Jersey is so much more than that!

I've been to lots of wonderful, walkable small towns throughout the state (Haddonfield, Lambertville, Chester), which are great places to live. We spend every summer in the Victorian town of Cape May which has some of the most beautiful late 1800's architecture in the country. And we drive through miles and miles of flat farmland to get there, which would make you think you are in the rural south. I have good friends in Morris County which is just beautiful - rolling hills near the mountains. And New Jersey has dozens of historic, beautiful beach towns to explore.

Yes, traffic can be horrible on the New Jersey Turnpike and taxes are insane, and there are places you wouldn't want to live in like Camden, but overall there are many great places in New Jersey. Also, overalll, salaries there are higher and benefits generally quite good, schools are ranked among the best in the country, and there is a ton of public transportation giving nearly everyone proximity to NYC and/or to Philadelphia. All of these make New Jersey a great place to live for many people.

(And last but not least, there are a plethora of good pizza and bagel shops. )

Old 10-13-2015, 10:55 AM

913 posts, read 885,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
New Jersey always gets a bad rap! Even though I have never lived there, I have spent a lot of time there, having grown up in neighboring Philadelphia. I always find the need to defend it because many people only know what they see on shows like Jersey Shore or Housewives of New Jersey or what they have seen off the New Jersey Turnpike. New Jersey is so much more than that!

I've been to lots of wonderful, walkable small towns throughout the state (Haddonfield, Lambertville, Chester), which are great places to live. We spend every summer in the Victorian town of Cape May which has some of the most beautiful late 1800's architecture in the country. And we drive through miles and miles of flat farmland to get there, which would make you think you are in the rural south. I have good friends in Morris County which is just beautiful - rolling hills near the mountains. And New Jersey has dozens of historic, beautiful beach towns to explore.

Yes, traffic can be horrible on the New Jersey Turnpike and taxes are insane, and there are places you wouldn't want to live in like Camden, but overall there are many great places in New Jersey. Also, overalll, salaries there are higher and benefits generally quite good, schools are ranked among the best in the country, and there is a ton of public transportation giving nearly everyone proximity to NYC and/or to Philadelphia. All of these make New Jersey a great place to live for many people.

(And last but not least, there are a plethora of good pizza and bagel shops. )
And don't forget the diners!!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

There's a clear problem with generalizations, I'll grant you that. However there's also a problem with ignoring stereotypes because there's usually some truth attached to them as well. People born and raised within a commutable distance from New York City have an inherent edge to them, even if it's not part of their basic nature. You're more aware of your surroundings, quicker to defend your turf (or perception of same) and aware that there will be unavoidable confrontations along the way in life and prepared to engage when necessary.

I'm a nice person, people will often use that word to describe me. But even after living in North Carolina for more than eight years I still have to override my basic instincts when someone cuts me off or blatantly breaks rules (like the guy in front of me on the Express Line at Food Lion last week with a full cart of food pretending he didn't notice the sign). My left hand still wrestles with the right while reaching for the horn when the car in front of me idles at a green light and I still strain against the slower pace. I mean, forty three years of living in and around NYC affects your DNA somewhat permanently.

My point is, I'm okay with people assuming my being from New York orients me towards a slightly more aggressive nature because it would be naive, if not risky, to assume otherwise.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

My point is, I'm okay with people assuming my being from New York orients me towards a slightly more aggressive nature because it would be naive, if not risky, to assume otherwise.
Then do you also assume that people native to NC are slow-moving, less-intelligent, rednecks? Because that is the stereotype for people from the south.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Geez, how could I forget those?!! I'm already looking forward to meeting my friends at our usual diner in New Jersey over Thanksgiving!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:20 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
And the tater servings?
Oh, yeah!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:27 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,440 times
I moved here from MA back in 1996. This place was growing like wildfire, the company I worked for moved here and my boss asked me to come down. Everything was great, business was booming until NAFTA got signed.

Now this place is starting to tank and look like a service industry since nearly all the manufacturers are gone or going away.

Yep, I think I have about had enough of NC now, I think now things are going to take a turn for the worse and the heat and humidity down here is rediculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary