Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimdetsiwt View Post
It's not too far fetched that the reputation of Apex, Cary etc is better, at least the company HR have quite actively promoted those areas, despite clayton being the place for working. I will have a few days in NC before we move, so I will drive around those areas and have a look. I will try to hit the beltline (40) between 7 a.m and 8 a.m to see if I would bother with the traffic.

As I will be working, I'm sure Clayton would suit me just fine, but my better half would also like to live quite central and not having to drive 30m+ to get to whatever is needed. If the commute can be done in about 30m then I would be OK, 50-60m would probably be a turn off for me.
The commute should not be any longer than 30 minutes if you don't get too far into Cary. That said, cyn7cyn has a good point about Garner. Very good compromise if you prefer to be a bit closer in than Clayton, but gives you a very short commute.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,238,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The commute should not be any longer than 30 minutes if you don't get too far into Cary. That said, cyn7cyn has a good point about Garner. Very good compromise if you prefer to be a bit closer in than Clayton, but gives you a very short commute.
Cary to Clayton between 7:00-8:00 AM in 30 is difficult. In addition to fast food options Clayton now has some excellent dining options including recently opened Manning's and Anthony's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Cary to Clayton between 7:00-8:00 AM in 30 is difficult. In addition to fast food options Clayton now has some excellent dining options including recently opened Manning's and Anthony's.
Like I said, depends on where in Cary. Southern/Southeastern outskirts near Raleigh should be barely doable. West Cary would be impossible.

I'd just move to Clayton or Garner.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,794 times
You have sort of confirmed my reservations regarding the cary->clayton commute, plus I don't see why I should add a car to the jigsaw puzzle when I have the chance of finding something in the Clayton area. Garner doesn't appear to have very good schools, that's why I have omitted that area.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:00 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
You wouldn't need a car in Clayton?

Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Quote:
You have sort of confirmed my reservations regarding the cary->clayton commute, plus I don't see why I should add a car to the jigsaw puzzle when I have the chance of finding something in the Clayton area. Garner doesn't appear to have very good schools, that's why I have omitted that area.
That's what I figured. Knightdale and Garner both good places to live except the schools and its a shame. TBH my daughter goes to school in Raleigh so I don't have first hand experience with them but I know parents with kids at Timber drive and Avesboro elementary schools and they are happy. My best friends son goes to Garner HS which is a magnet and loves it. I always tell posters that if they are involved with their kids education the low scores of other kids shouldn't effect them. It's not that Garner has bad teachers or inadequate resources. It just suffers the same ailments most schools have when there is a larger percentage of low income families in certain parts. However since we are in a county wide system it receives the same funding and operates with the same standards a school in Cary would.

You threw us with the car comment. I wouldn't live anywhere outside Raleigh proper with only one car per family. There will need to be 2 cars even if one parent stays at home TBH. Even living right in Clayton it's not going to be walkable to do most errands and shopping. Maybe we misunderstood,please clarify because it makes a big difference. Public transportation in Cary is minimal,Clayton is basically non existent.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
You'll definitely need a car.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 7,794 times
Sorry, I didn't make my point clear: We will definitely get 2 cars, but I will just not need to add to the dense traffic on the beltline during rush hour, if we find a place in Clayton/Garner.

I see the point with the schools in Garner, sometimes you get caught in interpreting the numbers wrong. I'm sure the schools get the same funding as other schools, and a probably as good, or at least close to, schools with much better scores.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:17 AM

207 posts, read 433,361 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't make my point clear: We will definitely get 2 cars, but I will just not need to add to the dense traffic on the beltline during rush hour, if we find a place in Clayton/Garner.

I see the point with the schools in Garner, sometimes you get caught in interpreting the numbers wrong. I'm sure the schools get the same funding as other schools, and a probably as good, or at least close to, schools with much better scores.
for the Garner schools - depends on the area. Like alot of towns - Garner has the newer and the older section . . .

I grew up in Garner. I have lived in Clayton for 25 years. I work in E. Raleigh. Drive time from Clayton to Cary in 30 min just boarder to boarder without traffic would be tight.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:04 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
My best friends son goes to Garner HS which is a magnet and loves it. I always tell posters that if they are involved with their kids education the low scores of other kids shouldn't effect them. It's not that Garner has bad teachers or inadequate resources. It just suffers the same ailments most schools have when there is a larger percentage of low income families in certain parts.
This. Our kids are in elementary school in Garner and their teachers and principal have all been hard-working, intelligent and dedicated. They're getting a good education. By contrast, I have a friend who pulled his kid out of a highly-rated school in Wake Forest because of the horrible teacher he had. All the "school ratings" tell you is test scores, which have as much (or more) to do with the social class of the kids' parents (and how much time they are able and willing to spend helping their kids) as with the quality of the schools and the teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary