Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,223,917 times

Advertisements

The media was quick to make this sound as bad as it could. Typical for the media. Maybe we aren't getting the full story.

As a parent, I'd want more information to know that my child was safe at Panther Creek.

I'm not seeing anything in the media about him being allowed back into school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,314,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
The Family Educational Privacy and Rights Act (FEPRA) is very restrictive in what information can be released.

Ex: Schools are not permitted to say what kind of punishment a student received and sometimes won't even say there was a punishment -- instead they will point to board policy -- which describes the violation and the potential punishments. Even if it's been in the media. The reporters know this and use other sources.

Not saying this is right or wrong, just that FEPRA is the reason.
I think FEPRA ties the hands of the administration at Panther Creek as far as what they can say about this student specifically. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Quote:
Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):

School officials with legitimate educational interest;
Other schools to which a student is transferring;
Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
Accrediting organizations;
To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

Once he was arrested that is part of the public record, but the administration's hands are tied as to what they can say. I would not be comfortable with him back in school, but I'm not sure what the legalities are there. Kids are entitled to a free education by law. Seem like one option would be for him to go to an "alternative" school for kids who have problems. I don't know if there's a WCPSS policy on students who have been arrested. Hope the dad did change the combination on the safe.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:37 AM

13,696 posts, read 12,403,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
He assaulted another student. That alone should have kept him out for a good while. That he had this "hit list" makes their decision even more confusing.

Maybe they are trying to sweep this under the rug. Would ruin PCHS' reputation and we all know that Cary thrives on positive rep.
One would think that to sweep it quietly under the rug, the expedient option would be to enroll him at Longview or Mary E. Phillips or somewhere, where it would be forgotten and dropped from the public discourse.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
One would think that to sweep it quietly under the rug, the expedient option would be to enroll him at Longview or Mary E. Phillips or somewhere, where it would be forgotten and dropped from the public discourse.
So would I. But, you and I are not in charge.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:43 AM

9,772 posts, read 15,771,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, obviously, not allowing him right back in school so quickly would not have ruined the young man's life.

I know people who have been suspended longer for far less.

My own child was suspended for over a month from 8th grade because he accidentally wore the jacket containing his mini Leatherman tool to school one Monday (he'd had it in his jacket pocket to use over the weekend).

Nobody was hurt (well, his buddy grabbed the thing a cut his finger, but it was a minor nick), threatened, and my son had no history of incidents. He was never in trouble before.

Now, his suspension was reversed and they let him come back after a couple of weeks (was toward the end of the year and he really didn't want to...he was allowed to complete his work at home, anyway).

The administrators at his school were quite apologetic that he was out for 2 weeks because of that tiny little thing with the 1.6" blade.
Wow, that seems over the top for a mini leatherman tool! Sometimes they follow the rules too closely without injecting their common sense into it. At least they realized the error of their ways.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Wow, that seems over the top for a mini leatherman tool! Sometimes they follow the rules too closely without injecting their common sense into it. At least they realized the error of their ways.
Yeah. It was rather silly. All his teachers and the guidance counselor told me they felt terrible that the poor kid had the book thrown at him. Their feedback was what got him back to school so quickly.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:24 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,074,921 times
RedZin, your kid's story is a case in point. If there had been someone there to look at the whole situation before going overboard with your kid, it would have made more sense. There is a huge difference between mentally ill psychotic kids acting out in attempts to make names for themselves or to get themselves killed, and average kids doing something stupid. And we haven't even mentioned average kids who are bullied enough to have poorly thought out responses.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
RedZin, your kid's story is a case in point. If there had been someone there to look at the whole situation before going overboard with your kid, it would have made more sense. There is a huge difference between mentally ill psychotic kids acting out in attempts to make names for themselves or to get themselves killed, and average kids doing something stupid. And we haven't even mentioned average kids who are bullied enough to have poorly thought out responses.
And, I agree. But, why'd he assault a female student? That does trouble me. I guess the school board is satisfied, but that part of the story is odder than the rest.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:45 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,074,921 times
I have no idea, unless, perhaps the female student was trying to get attention? If it was a true assault he should have been held accountable, of course.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:12 PM

142 posts, read 223,422 times
The rumor that he was in school yesterday was not true. He is NOT back at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary