Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,864,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I wouldn't move to Chapel Hill just because you're working here. As you said, jobs change........
^ This, exactly......especially when buying a home. Live where you want to enjoy. Live where you would like to take advantage of offerings very quickly and easily. While commute times should be part of the overall decision making process, it is a bit silly to have it be the single deciding factor. Live where you work? What if you do not like the area where you work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
If "roamingveg" means you're really a roaming vegetarian, I think you will love Chapel Hill. There's just absolutely no reason NOT to start your search there. The job is there, the schools are great, (lots of vegetarian options, too). If for some reason you get to Chapel Hill and you think, "Aughh, this place sucks," then go look some place else, but no reason to start out looking elsewhere.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 AM

69 posts, read 182,389 times
poppydog - we do love Chapel Hill, I love the Weaver St. Market in Carrboro! Reminds me of the awesome coop I used to frequent in Austin, TX, but bigger. We also love how wooded much of it is. But we have also liked the neighborhoods we've seen in western Wake (the older, more established 'hoods with big trees and such), and I personally love Raleigh as a city. Not too big, not too small. I would love to work there. I've been looking at rentals in CH, and the choices are pretty limited in our price range. I think we could afford to buy a small place there, but maybe I'm overestimating our ability to pay. This is probably the biggest reason I have to consider Wake. We're definitely leaning towards CH, but I want to be prepared for an alternative scenario. In any case, all of this input has been very helpful!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 AM

Don't overlook Durham. It's a much better commute to Chapel Hill than Raleigh, more centrally located to RTP, and great housing value. Schools are more up and down than in Chapel Hill, but there are some good ones out there, both in Durham Public Schools and charters and private. I have friends who have kids in Central Park School for Children charter, Carolina Friends private, Hope Valley Elementary and Jordan High public, Durham School of the Arts public and all are happy with their schools. If I had to live in another town in the Triangle besides Chapel Hill or Carrboro it would be Durham, hands down.

There are a fair number of people who work in Chapel Hill, but want more house for their money and live in Durham.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:08 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,524,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
you are way overthinking. Job is in chapel hill, move to chapel hill. Great schools, nobrainer.
+1

Old 10-20-2015, 05:04 PM

Thank you again, everyone. We'll see how it goes!

Old 10-21-2015, 05:23 PM

14 posts, read 28,972 times
hey veggie
You'll like Chapel Hill. We were taken aback at the different vacation schedules, the possibility of one kid in this district and another in that etc... so we went to CH schools. Very happy with the decision and the education is top notch. My wife and I didn't like the dice throwing chance of assignments and every (and I mean every) first day of school there is a massive screw up that leaves kids waiting for buses and hours to get to and home from school. Yes some of those schools have super programs but boy the Wake district just seems poorly run. BTW we like the bohemian, veggie, tree hugger (no offense please) atmosphere here. Very progressive community where everyone seems to have advanced degrees and yoga mats. I'm a bit out of place but really enjoying it.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 AM

nymetfan62 - thank you for sharing your experience! It really sounds like we're on the same page as you and your family. I really hope CH works out. I'm afraid the cost will force us to Wake, but we'll see.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:13 AM

Wake County is not that much cheaper than Orange County. If you like Chapel Hill you can find housing at all price points. We go from trailer parks to multi-million dollar mansions. It's a myth that Chapel Hill and Carrboro are wealthy enclaves. You'd be very surprised to know how little we paid for our house way back before the real estate boom.

The houses are out there in Chapel Hill and Carrboro for less than the $300k you mentioned in your OP; the difference is they won't usually be as new and may need to be updated, but they're nice older homes, not rundown flea bags or anything. Three of my neighbors have homes for sale right now. Two of the homes are priced at $300k or less. Homes do go fast in Chapel Hill if they're priced right and most are.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-22-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,448,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Wake County is not that much cheaper than Orange County. If you like Chapel Hill you can find housing at all price points. We go from trailer parks to multi-million dollar mansions. It's a myth that Chapel Hill and Carrboro are wealthy enclaves. You'd be very surprised to know how little we paid for our house way back before the real estate boom.

The houses are out there in Chapel Hill and Carrboro for less than the $300k you mentioned in your OP; the difference is they won't usually be as new and may need to be updated, but they're nice older homes, not rundown flea bags or anything. Three of my neighbors have homes for sale right now. Two of the homes are priced at $300k or less. Homes do go fast in Chapel Hill if they're priced right and most are.
Agreed.

A quick search on fmrealty.com , 3+ br 2+bath homes under $300k in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school district. (if you want to be in CHCCS, you have to include that in your search criteria because there are many unincorporated ares of Orange, Chatham, and Durham counties that have "Chapel Hill" addresses but aren't in the school district).....shows 40 homes for sale.

Search with the same price 3br, 2bth criteria for homes assigned to Green Hope or Panther Creek high school.....25 homes for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary