Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:29 AM

12 posts, read 43,774 times

Advertisements

Just read this thread and had to comment.

Coming from Boston it's pretty funny to read that you're getting all geared up for winter in NC. Especially because one of the main reasons my wife and I are moving is for the better climate!

I have a bunch of winter coats if you need them.

Seriously though - good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM

72 posts, read 212,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swb03 View Post
Just read this thread and had to comment.

Coming from Boston it's pretty funny to read that you're getting all geared up for winter in NC. Especially because one of the main reasons my wife and I are moving is for the better climate!

I have a bunch of winter coats if you need them.

Seriously though - good luck with your move.
hehe, thank you... yeah, we only have one season where im from...., beach season for the past 20 years 72-85 are the extreme temperatures!!! not joking! not trying to be snobby, believe it or not, it gets kinda boring! i miss seasons.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:45 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkitti View Post
I live in Newport Beach (The OC if you have seen that show ) so crime is low and its mainly upper middle class and above, beautiful, live 10 minutes from the beach, the problems i have here are definitely cost of living, im not one of the more priveliged, so even with a degree i can barely make it month to month renting a room... my biggest problem is traffic and ignorant rude people and the whole money run society, fake personalities and a general lack of manners and honest home values, not too many people have strong characters that i meet in my area, so it's hard to find good friends.
Hey, small world. Lived in Newport for five years, Laguna for three, Irvine for a couple... really, my favorite place and a place I miss. Except for the attitude. But, then again, I can have one myself from time to time, but I'd like to call that confidence.

I'm heading back there in a few weeks, so I will get my fix. Will spend most of December and early January back in L.A. And, then, back to Winter. Though, not nearly as bad as the upper east of the U.S.! Would never have chosen that area for the winter, but I think I would have loved NY, nonetheless.

Then, I'm contemplating bringing my second car out in January. But, I'm flying back to LA enough for business that I think I might just keep it there so that I have a vehicle to roam around.

Btw, what did you study. Oh, please say real estate! I'm getting my networking group together, and I'd like to find people of like interest to share ideas and look for R.E. ops. If not, accounting, finance, or anything else related would be great too. You'll see when you get here, there are great opportunities here in RDU... especially for people like ourselves who have lived through the boom in SoCal. You'll see.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post

2. A few girls that I've met out here have said that Peak Fitness is the place to go. I'm checking it out this weekend since I can't find a nearby Bally's. They say it's nice, and has cardio, classes, weights, pool, sauna, tanning and more. Also, there might be a Gold's Gym and the YMCA is not supposed to be bad, but I'm not sure.
I was looking for Raleigh area gyms online and that's when I came across Peak Fitness. Their website leaves alot to be desired in terms of describing the size of each location and other things. When I was in Phoenix I was worked out at a large LA Fitness club and I'm hoping that Peak is pretty large as well. There isn't a Bally's or 24 Hour Fitness (was a member there in Florida) so that leaves Peak or Golds. Does anyone have any experience with Peak Fitness? If you have experience with the one near Southpoint Mall, that would be helpful as well. Sorry for hijacking your thread SoCal girl.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Hey, small world. Lived in Newport for five years, Laguna for three, Irvine for a couple... really, my favorite place and a place I miss. Except for the attitude. But, then again, I can have one myself from time to time, but I'd like to call that confidence.

I'm heading back there in a few weeks, so I will get my fix. Will spend most of December and early January back in L.A. And, then, back to Winter. Though, not nearly as bad as the upper east of the U.S.! Would never have chosen that area for the winter, but I think I would have loved NY, nonetheless.

Then, I'm contemplating bringing my second car out in January. But, I'm flying back to LA enough for business that I think I might just keep it there so that I have a vehicle to roam around.

Btw, what did you study. Oh, please say real estate! I'm getting my networking group together, and I'd like to find people of like interest to share ideas and look for R.E. ops. If not, accounting, finance, or anything else related would be great too. You'll see when you get here, there are great opportunities here in RDU... especially for people like ourselves who have lived through the boom in SoCal. You'll see.

Yeah me too, irvine i grew up in, San Diego (UCSD) for college, back to the OC for a job, in newport now. I dont mind attitude, cause im not always peaches and cream, but i dont like the fake and peppy to your face, stab you in the back attitude that most OC people have become accustomed to.... if you wanna have an attitude, fine, just be yourself, sometimes it's actually refreshing

i studied Management Science (Mathematical Business) which means nothing as a major unless i get a PHD and become an economist which aint gonna happen... just a harder business major with 4 years post calculus mathematics. More like options trading and such which i realized i didn't want to do after i worked as a personal financial advisor for a whole whopping 3 months!. So now im just the Office Assistant... hoping to get into finance, but im only 2 years out of school and i dont want to do sales, so it'll take a little while. Im not in Real Estate, just have a strong interest in it personally, over time, that would be what i would put my money in, im not big into savings accounts, i'd rather be able to sleep where my money is so to speak but with student loans and med expenses, dont have the collateral right now, just for the one but that will all come in time ...

good to know there are good opportunities out there, just gotta make sure to get in with some intelligent driven people who can keep me on my toes thanks for your responses!

Old 11-18-2006, 03:11 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Default Sooooooooo jealous!!

Socalkitti; My husband and I have been planning our move To NOrth Carolina for about three years. Many visits there, just waiting till October when my husband can retire from the UC system. I am looking into the Clayton area, or Knightdale. I wish you luck, and I think you made a wise decision, because eventually you will marry and have children, and I cannot even think of a better place to raise children. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Can't wait to leave CA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChar View Post
Congrats to you socalkitti - I am so jealous. I have to wait til my boss retires in a couple of years before I head down there. I think my sister will be moving sooner and my daughter about the same time I move. I am so looking forward to going there. We have a friend in the vicinity of Knightdale, also from southern cal(bakersfield) and they absolutely love it there. I am sure you will to. Keep all us so cal babes who want to head down there up dated with how you are doing. Good luck, - I am sure you will do very well. Just Char

Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I was looking for Raleigh area gyms online and that's when I came across Peak Fitness. Their website leaves alot to be desired in terms of describing the size of each location and other things. When I was in Phoenix I was worked out at a large LA Fitness club and I'm hoping that Peak is pretty large as well. There isn't a Bally's or 24 Hour Fitness (was a member there in Florida) so that leaves Peak or Golds. Does anyone have any experience with Peak Fitness? If you have experience with the one near Southpoint Mall, that would be helpful as well. Sorry for hijacking your thread SoCal girl.
No problem, that would be information i would be interested in as well! please let me know if you hear of anything about any of the fitness clubs... seems that Peak is the only one i came across with late hours so far, which is a must for me!

Old 11-20-2006, 12:10 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkitti View Post
No problem, that would be information i would be interested in as well! please let me know if you hear of anything about any of the fitness clubs... seems that Peak is the only one i came across with late hours so far, which is a must for me!
Hey, I spoke with the folks at Peak Fitness. I was informed that the one at Research Triangle Pk was the smallest one in the area. The others have more equipment. Since I'll be near RTP, I called the facility in Chapel Hill near UNC and the woman there told me that they a slew of cardio equipment and free weights as well as Hammer Strength equipment. The lower priced monthly option requires a two year contract. 29.99 a month, 99.00 app fee, 25.00 processing fee and first month are due upfront. I was informed that their new specials will come out in Jan. I don't know, but I hoping that with the new specials they'll wave the app fee. The woman also mentioned that state and federal employees get a discount as well as students. That facility is also open 24hrs a day and some of their other facilities are as well. The lady also said that they offer 3 spinning classes a day, kick boxing classes, swimming and other classes.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 PM

229 posts, read 1,054,271 times
Just wanted to let you know there are so many places to workout in the Triangle that are outdoors so you don't always have to rely on the gyms.

*We have thousands of acres of greenways and plenty of lakes with jogging trails-Lake Lynn, Lake Johnson, Shelly Lake, and others.
*There are 14 miles of Trails at Umstead Park in the heart of the Triangle
*If you cycle there are several groups around the area that go on 25-30 mile rides several times/week.
*There are several running groups that meet and train from everything from Triathlons to Marathons.
*There is an excellent multi-sport group in the Triangle but I can't remember the name of it right now. It's a 20 something group. There is an older group-The Raleigh Ski & Outing Group, but it's older.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 PM

25 posts, read 69,433 times
I'm in the RSM/Coto area so I hear you about the cost of living. We are struggling here. Very little crime/illegal alien problem in this area so that is not an issue. You get what you pay for in CA, that's for sure.

My house has tripled in price in the past 7 years (since we bought it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary