Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM

30 posts, read 45,693 times

Advertisements

Hello! So we will be relocating to the area but not until the end of June. I know I have a ways to go but I am trying to understand how things work. I have a 7th grader this year who will be entering the 8th grade in the wake county schools. He is currently in an accelerated math program in his middle school. This year he is taking a pre-Algebra course that would set him up to take high school Algebra 1 in 8th grade in our current system. I see that many middle schools in Wake County have a program for Single Subject Acceleration but it also seems there is a recommendation necessary and some testing. If a student is not in the system how do they participate in the single subject acceleration? He will have transcripts from our current school system that shows the track he is on, will that be enough to allow him to move ahead in that subject? Is there something I should do ahead of time to ensure he at least has the opportunity? Would a recommendation from his current teacher help?

Also, will the high schools place in honors programs based on transcripts? I have an 8th grader now who be starting high school when we move. She will have finished high school Algebra 1 and Geometry before transferring. Is there anything I should make sure I get from her current teachers - letters of recommendation, etc. that would help to ensure she can continue to move ahead and not have to retake these classes? They will be on her transcript but not sure if that is enough.

Any recent transfers that have dealt with some of these issues have words of wisdom? Any very familiar with how things work have words of wisdom?

Thanks for any help and insight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 07:49 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Sounds like your students will be in track for regular classes once they get here. Most eighth graders take CCM1 which woukd be the equivalent of Algebra I. Although it is way more advanced than what I did in algebra back in the day. Advanced kids woukd go into CCM II in eighth grade and then move on once in high school.

They are pretty strict about to testing into single subject acceleration - but it sounds like it might not be something to worry about.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:58 AM

Great!

What is CCM1 and CCM II? My 8th grader is further along and in Geometry having already finished Algebra 1. Is this typical of incoming 9th graders for Wake County? I thought Wake County followed Common Core - please lets not debate if this is good or bad - so if all 8th graders are finishing Algebra 1 before entering high school I'm very impressed. It's just something that we are moving toward in our current school system and the surrounding towns.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
CCM stands for Common Core Math.

This is a very math-centric area, for lack of a better term. I don't think you're going to find the math classes wanting here. The only kids I know going into 9th grade above CCMII are what I'd consider highly gifted.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:29 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnk9s View Post
Great!

What is CCM1 and CCM II? My 8th grader is further along and in Geometry having already finished Algebra 1. Is this typical of incoming 9th graders for Wake County? I thought Wake County followed Common Core - please lets not debate if this is good or bad - so if all 8th graders are finishing Algebra 1 before entering high school I'm very impressed. It's just something that we are moving toward in our current school system and the surrounding towns.

Thanks for your help!
Not all 8th graders take Algebra 1, but many do. They get on that track by taking "Math 6 Plus" as 6th graders, which covers all of 6th grade math and a portion of 7th. Then as 7th graders, they take "Math 7 Plus" which covers the rest of 7th, and most of 8th. Then they take CCM1 (algebra) as 8th graders.

A few take Math 6, Math 7, and Math 8, which won't get them to Algebra 1 until 9th grade.

A few take a compacted class called "Math 6 Plus/7 Plus" as 6th graders, which puts them into Algebra 1 as 7th graders.

A few did the SSA in elementary, which puts them at Math 6 Plus as 5th graders (my own child is doing this now), Math 7 Plus as 6th graders, and Algebra 1 as 7th graders.

Here's a chart that illustrates the various paths:

http://wake-ms-math.weebly.com/uploa...r_ms_15-16.pdf

Old 10-26-2015, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the information. Good to know they should fit right in!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
It sounds like your 7th grader would be aligned with the MS Math 6+/7+/CCM1 track, and I wouldn't think it would be an issue to enroll him in CCM1 for 8th grade (it does provide HS credit). Your current 8th grader may be a class ahead, but hard to tell. Either way, whether she winds up in CCM2 or CCM3 in 9th grade, it would likely be an honors level class.

From what I've seen, math placements are highly dependent upon teacher recommendation, so it can't hurt for you to get their teachers' placement recommendations in addition to their transcripts, particularly if you get any push back from your new schools.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Thank you TinkaMcKirk. They both have wonderful math teachers this year and I will be sure to get letters from both of them. Can't hurt!

Thank you!!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:17 AM

143 posts, read 201,723 times
CCM1 (Algebra) is the standard for 8th grade math. Most students will be in CCM1 unless they need a lower level class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary