Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 AM

107 posts, read 125,745 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating next year to the Clayton area. I have worked for my current employer for 6 yrs. I love what what I do and want to continue what I do. I took the Para pro Test and passed so I am Highly Qualified and I have the certificate as well.I have heard in Clayton the para's also drive the buses. I have no interest in that. I currently work for the transition program at my local high school. O do not make alot of money for all that I do and the qualifications I have. what is the pay like for the para's in the two area's and will my certif for highly qualified para be accepted in the area's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:43 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Have you contacted the Wake and Johnston County schools? Seems to me it would be best to get information on salary, certifications and job duties directly from them.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I don't think Paras exist down here the way they do up north. You're either a teacher or a TA. And yes, in Johnston County the TAs do drive the school buses.

WCPSS has a careers section on their website, I'm sure JoCo has something similar.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
You're not going to like Clayton.

I'm calling it now.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:21 AM

107 posts, read 125,745 times
RedZin, why do you think that?

Old 10-25-2015, 10:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn Trulove View Post
RedZin, why do you think that?
Small towns here are worlds apart from quaint, little New England towns.

They are very RURAL. Granted, Clayton has indeed come a very long way, and I can see the allure for many people.

But, they don't even hire paras out there in JoCo and the TAs drive school buses, which you do not want to do.

Move to Garner and rent until you make sure you won't hate this whole area.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:56 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You're not going to like Clayton.

I'm calling it now.
Karyn, I've reread all of your prior posts, particularly thread in the General Moving topic. //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...m-i-alone.html

And I'm inclined to agree with RedZin. But perhaps for different reasons than RedZin's. It sounds to me that you're primary (maybe ONLY) reasons for moving are to eliminate the cold CT weather and reduce the CT cost of living. Quite frankly, this area will not really fulfill those objections in a dramatically significant way. Yes, it will be less cold here, but it's still cold and it snows. Yes, it will be cheaper here, but it's not as cheap as many, many other equally attractive places.

If I were to guess about you, I'd say that your husband really is the one who "loves" Clayton. Somewhere along the line, you kinda-sorta agreed to this move. Now, you're regretting it, not able to tell him straight out, so you keep posting question after question in an attempt to shake the trees for negative information that you can use to convince him that this is a bad idea.

Frankly, if your goal is to live somewhere appreciably warmer and less costly than CT, look at the Phoenix metro or Tucson area.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:54 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

If I were to guess about you, I'd say that your husband really is the one who "loves" Clayton. Somewhere along the line, you kinda-sorta agreed to this move. Now, you're regretting it, not able to tell him straight out, so you keep posting question after question in an attempt to shake the trees for negative information that you can use to convince him that this is a bad idea.

You deserve an hourly fee for this paragraph. 100% on the money.

It reminds me of the lady on RE forum who "researched her move aggressively for 5 years" and then 45 days after arriving in SC wanted to put her house on the market because her kids hated it and move back up north. Come to find out it was her husband's dream to move south and she was never on board.

Karyn, you either need to get on board with this move and what it will mean or have a heart to heart with your husband. Rural areas of NC are NOTHING like rural areas of the northeast. Trust me on this. And Clayton is RURAL compared to what you are used to.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:22 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Karen, I think the other posters are right as far as you being too ambivalent to make this move and remain happy. I am from New England as well (RI) and know I would not be happy in Clayton. It has not one iota of small town charm as CT does. If you are unsure about this move, don't do it.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Maybe the OP is looking for validation more than information. No one can reassure you that happiness will ensue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary