Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 10:47 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else include Raleigh in their definitions of Eastern NC? I know it's basically on the line dividing the Coastal Plain and Piedmont, but it seems like Raleigh has more ties to areas further east than Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, etc. Also, I feel like the BBQ in the area leans more towards the Eastern style. What do y'all think? It just seems like most Raleigh folks that I've encountered have stronger ties to towns like Henderson, Rocky Mount, or Kinston over Greensboro, Burlington, Salisbury, etc. However, I get that many folks believe Eastern NC is strictly the areas east of I-95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 11:22 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
ENC = east of 95. We're from the Piedmont. If you were only allowed to use east vs west, clearly we're east.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:26 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
The culture is more eastern and all of our historical capitals were in the coast

Old 10-25-2015, 12:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Eastern for me anyway. We traveled east for barbecue and east to visit relatives.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:57 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Henderson isn't an Eastern NC town it's a Northern NC town.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:37 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
From what I've noticed, go west of Durham and most people in NC rarely visit the Raleigh area or areas further east. Like if you mention Apex or Clayton to someone living in Winston-Salem, there's a good chance that person won't have a clue. The majority of the Piedmont and Western NC isn't too familiar with Raleigh, while Eastern NC is a different story. People in towns like Goldsboro or Rocky Mount see Raleigh as "the big city" that they'll visit on weekends for whatever reason. In this case, I feel like Raleigh has stronger ties with Eastern NC than the rest of the Piedmont.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:31 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Hell. No.

I agree with you that people "down east" look to Raleigh as "the big city"...but that doesn't mean that Raleigh is in Eastern NC....it just means that Raleigh is closer to them.

I doubt most of them would be able to place any Raleigh suburbs on a map either...and I bet most people in Randolph County wouldn't know most Charlotte suburbs or Raleigh suburbs....Randolph County definitely isn't eastern NC.

I'd say the fall-line is the biggest divide. Raleigh and especially the western suburbs are solidly Piedmont. A case could be made that Garner/Clayton and Wendell/Zebulon have a bit more of an eastern NC feel to them...but they are east of the fall-line...and that still doesn't make Raleigh "Eastern NC".

The only people who think of Raleigh as "eastern NC" are people from Charlotte and points west.

Also...when I go to The Pit in dt Raleigh I put both sauces on my cue....call me a rebel...or a peacemaker.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 10-25-2015 at 05:44 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 06:26 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
From what I've noticed, go west of Durham and most people in NC rarely visit the Raleigh area or areas further east. Like if you mention Apex or Clayton to someone living in Winston-Salem, there's a good chance that person won't have a clue. The majority of the Piedmont and Western NC isn't too familiar with Raleigh, while Eastern NC is a different story. People in towns like Goldsboro or Rocky Mount see Raleigh as "the big city" that they'll visit on weekends for whatever reason. In this case, I feel like Raleigh has stronger ties with Eastern NC than the rest of the Piedmont.
Well yeah, these cities are an hour or so from Raleigh and don't have anything else nearby in terms of population/nightlife/etc.

And to answer your question, no. I know when I'm in "Eastern NC", and I go to Raleigh frequently and have never once gotten that vibe.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:35 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I'm a sauce mixer myself. NC and TN bred.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:50 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I knew this thread was going eastern or western style. I never ate barbecue west of Bullock's in Durham

There was a time when Raleigh did seem to be just a large town in eastern NC. Many Raleigh natives had roots that ran deep into eastern NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary