Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 06:27 PM

144 posts, read 496,689 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
Any recommendation on Mortgage Brokers. I see a lot of people bought houses, from this board, recently. Love to hear any good recommendations.

Also given the fact that mortgage rates vary daily (almost hourly) any good bellweather site to compare the rates to make sure you get a reasonably good rate from the broker? (a 1/2 or 1/4 % can add a lot $$$ to your mortgage).

Still living in Boston and hating the snow ,
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:27 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
NickAndy, I don't think we're permitted to offer recommendations through the public forum.

I have done comparison shopping each time (bought a house in 2005, set up a heloc in 2006, purchased a house in 2007 and under contract to purchase a house this month) and ended up going with one particular broker each time (he happened to offer the best terms). Initially I also tried lendingtree.com but the rates from those people were not very competitive. The second time, third, and fourth times around, I gave two others the opportunity to compete for my business but their terms were slightly less favorable (even when the rates were the same, the closing costs were higher).

I will DM you.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM

88 posts, read 397,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandy View Post
Hi Guys,
Any recommendation on Mortgage Brokers. I see a lot of people bought houses, from this board, recently. Love to hear any good recommendations.

Also given the fact that mortgage rates vary daily (almost hourly) any good bellweather site to compare the rates to make sure you get a reasonably good rate from the broker? (a 1/2 or 1/4 % can add a lot $$$ to your mortgage).

Still living in Boston and hating the snow ,
Andy
I just moved down from Boston in November. This thursday at lunch break I went for a jog in shorts and a T-shirt. Its great to be here.

For the mortgage, Moderator cut: please use direct message . He just got me what I think is a geat 30-year fixed with tiny closing costs. Moderator cut: email removed

He seems to have a little fly-by-night type business, nothing as safe feeling as Chase or Citi, but all of the paper was in order when I closed, and the numbers were better than what the big banks would do.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-13-2008 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Be careful of the internet lenders. Right now they are having some major problems. I heard yesterday that E Loans was going out of business. Be careful. You don't want to get to the closing table and have the attorney tell you that they just got a call from the lender and your loan won't be funded. No funding...no mortgage...no home.

Vicki

Old 02-09-2008, 04:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
I agree. Use a traditional bank or credit union if possible.

Many of these loan brokers are not good.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:01 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I have had excellent experiences, i.e., timeliness and complete packages, working with:

Moderator cut: please use direct message

It is safe to say that, personally, I would not consider working with an internet lender again as long as there is brick/mortar mortgage lending readily available.

And, you may have a hard time building a solid personal relationship with a good mortgage banker or broker currently, since the refi boom is eating up their lives. The good ones are extremely busy.
Just saying, be a little patient if you don't get immediate response to a vague request.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-13-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
I just completed a jumbo refi (took advantage of the recent dip in rates) with an outstanding mortgage banker: Moderator cut: please use direct message

Fast, reliable, great terms, and friendly service. Keep in mind that in today's credit market there is often a gap between what mortgage people say they can do and what they are ultimately able to do.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-13-2008 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 09:32 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,235 times
I would suggest Moderator cut: please use direct message

We are buying a house before we sell our existing house, and he's been excellent on helping us through this.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-13-2008 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary