Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, Popular Mechanix and Mechanics Illustrated.
The mass media: getting folks riled up since the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,060 times
Cue up the quips about NC drivers, but driverless tech still doesn't work in snow, fog, heavy rain and I don't see how it ever will if devs are going to rely on optical sensors and cameras. Google says they're making progress with this, but still seems like a huge obstacle.

The tech will be great for dot com bazzillionaires in their 70F/sunny Cali neighborhoods but for the rest of us, like in NC, who actually have to deal with crazy weather fluctuations, not so much. Talk about sobering.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
People who don't want to own a car? They won't have to. You'll subscribe to a service. One car will be shared by many people. They will be parked until called in parking lots, like Walmart. 2 minutes later it's out front of your house waiting for you.
What if I can't afford the subscription to the car share?

What if when I want to leave, someone else who shares my car has taken it on vacation?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:25 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
What if I can't afford the subscription to the car share?
Nah. Surely in this utopia where self driving cars solve all traffic problems, the companies that make them and those that own and run them will essentially give them away!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times
You will have resistance to the adoption of self driving buses. There's a lot of vested interest in light rail. People trying to line their pockets at taxpayer expense. As the flexibility proves itself I imagine that current light rail projects will suffer.
Many countries are leaving us behind. Singapore already has a roll out date for self driving buses to be tested.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The school carpool culture here is a real detriment to people using mass transit. There are too many people who put their kids in the car, drop them off at school then head to work. I'm originally from NY, where NOBODY drives their kids to school on a regular basis, the schools aren't set up to handle carpool traffic. People take the bus or walk or they have to find a place to park their car and walk their kids in anyway (often on a nearby street). Of course WCPSS transportation isn't necessarily reliable on a regular basis so it's a vicious cycle. But you're never gonna get all those school carpoolers off the road.
True that. Although at least they handle the carpool traffic well here. I've seen suburban schools in the Boston area where parents *do* pick up their kids after school (I don't know why, it was in a very nice suburb where presumably they have school buses) and the cars would just spill out onto the street and literally block traffic for a half-mile or more.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
You will have resistance to the adoption of self driving buses. There's a lot of vested interest in light rail. People trying to line their pockets at taxpayer expense.
Is it possible to debate the pros and cons of the proposal without resorting to political cliches? Any public works project, anywhere, can be described as "People trying to line their pockets at taxpayer expense". The question is what benefit it provides to taxpayers.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Is it possible to debate the pros and cons of the proposal without resorting to political cliches? Any public works project, anywhere, can be described as "People trying to line their pockets at taxpayer expense". The question is what benefit it provides to taxpayers.
You missed the point. Resistance is always stronger when vested interests are involved. Light rail projects are very expensive to build, to run and ride on. With all the money and subsidies floating around it must be built.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:23 AM

I don't see how there are "vested interests" when there is no light rail in Wake County whatsoever and zero plans to build any.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:35 AM

You must not follow the news very closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary