Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:34 PM

7 posts, read 5,756 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks,

I've been doing my research here off and on for the past six months reading certain threads. I currently live in the greater Boston area and am making an exploratory trip down to RDU in a couple weeks. I've heard so many great things about the area and I really think this is a great place for me to live and start a new phase of life. I'm at a place where the quality of life is more important to me than the importance of my job.

But of course, it's a daunting move despite the potential promises. I've lived in Boston for 20 years, almost half my life. I would be ending a relationship for the move since my girlfriend is a die hard New Englander and can not imagine living out of the area, especially the "scary" South. So the idea of moving and resettling alone at 41 to a city that I don't really know anyone except for a couple acquaintances is a somewhat scary thought. The idea of dating in a place where I don't know anyone is a little exciting but more daunting.

I work freelance in tv/video and would be essentially moving down there with no job lined up. This is also a daunting idea. I have been a good boy and save my pennies over the years so not having a job right away is not a huge problem for me. But I understand I may not be able to freelance down there and have to find a full time job or even a career change.

Sorry to bored you all but that's my situation. So I'm humbly asking for advice on how to best spend my one week down there to explore Raleigh Durham?

From what I've read, Cary seems a bit too family orientated for me at this point and Durham seems very cool but it also seems a bit far away from Raleigh (not sure about this?). While I'd love to live in the country, I think for my first year, it's be best to live near Raleigh so it's be much easier to meet people and go out.

I don't crave living inside a city anymore but I do enjoy what the city has to offer - restaurants, movies - indie and mainstream, hanging out in cafes and the occasional bars. I also love riding my motorcycle thru the country and occasionally thru the city for easy parking. I'm thinking of potentially living right in the middle between Raleigh and Durham - so that would be NW Raleigh? Is that right?

I've been using google maps to find certain areas and apartment/townhouse complexes and one thing I can't figure out is just how far out is 540 in a real world commute? I'm originally from Florida so driving 10-15 miles to go somewhere isn't a big deal but certainly an adjustment from living in Boston. But from the map distance, it seems like it's pretty far from downtown Raleigh?

I would rent for my first year. I would ideally have a two bedroom apt/townhouse. My budget would ideally be $800-900 dollars. How easy would it be to find an apt with a garage for my motorcycle? I know there are many luxury acts downtown but I believe they will be too rich for my blood. Some of the areas I've gather here from here are: Five Points, North Hills, and Brier Creek. I believe Brier Creek and the Crabtree Mall has it's own apt units built inside the mall premise? Is that right? Seem like it'd be a odd living to close to a mall...? I haven't really thought about living in Durham but maybe I should really investigate that?

Well, sorry to have this post be so long (didn't mean to turn this into a support group!) but like I said, any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 12:42 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
You'd be really well served making a couple weekend trips down here and driving around.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
I suggest Chapel Hill/Carrboro for a single person and live somewhere around the Southpoint Mall area. Centrally located to everything.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos2RDU View Post
I would ideally have a two bedroom apt/townhouse. My budget would ideally be $800-900 dollars. How easy would it be to find an apt with a garage for my motorcycle?
I searched Realtor.com for 2-bedrooms with a garage, and there are limited numbers of apartments with a garage under $900. It is probably easier to find a small house with a storage shed or carport. That will take some on-the-ground time to look. I think you should certainly look at Durham, Chapel Hill and Carrboro as well as Raleigh, since your requirement is fairly specialized.

While you visit, I suggest spending several days with scheduled appointments to look at rentals. Also talk to the management companies, as they frequenly will not rent to people without a confirmed job. You may have to offer a large deposit.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Durham and Raleigh are not far from each other at all.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
And if you think there's still tread on the relationship tires, let your girlfriend know Boston is over-represented here. You can't walk ten yards in a public place without seeing someone wearing Sawx swag. The only thing she won't find here is 100" of snow each winter.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:24 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Is there an area up near Boston that you are looking for a similar sort of vibe here?

Old 10-29-2015, 06:18 PM

579 posts, read 522,037 times
Hey, I live in Durham and part of it's appeal is that it looks like a mini, less crowded, more laid back version of Cambridge.

Takes about 30 minutes to get to Raleigh. While people here complain about traffic it is nothing compared to the Boston area. Nothing. Parking a dream around here. Having a car is a pleasure here compared to the horror of Boston. Give it a look.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:22 AM

644 posts, read 842,218 times
My fiancee was raised in Boston and moved here after we got engaged. She loves it here. I'd definitely say that for the things you do there may not be that many opportunities. However, you do mention that finding a job isn't important for you. Remember that the Triangle area doesn't really have an epicenter for activities. We are spread all around. DT Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Raleigh and Durham have their own thing going on. Cary and Morrisville are mostly residential.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 5,756 times
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback!

As for an area from Boston - I like cambridge, somerville/Davis square in terms of the walkability and the mom and pops stores and restaurants. But my favorite theaters are the big multiplexes in malls and the burbs. So it's a mix.

Friendly and personable is what I find missing up here and hope to find down there. I hate that thousand yard stare from people up here, they can't even bother to acknowledge your existence when you walk past them.

Will definitely check out Durham in ernest along with Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary