Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Which is why I'm still not sure what it is you disagree with in my post. The one where you asked "what was wrong with me?". Jews don't recruit. Christians do. So what's the problem?

My response was to the poster which sent their children to Jewish sponsored camps and wasn't concerned that they were Jewish themselves nor wanted to be. My stance was that even under the same conditions, a Christian based program would be much more involved with trying to recruit or win souls due to the expectation that good Christians are supposed to help nonbelievers find salvation.
Its a false equivalence

And you're conflating evangelical Christianity with all Christianity and that's wrong. Do you think Catholic or mainline churches try to agressivly recruit at things they affiliate with?

Yes I agree the bible does espouse spreading the gospel but to suggest people should always be under guard any Christian is compelled to try to recruit them is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
This is always an issue here in NC - we are Jewish and send our kids to non-religious daycare and had to deal with prayer etc...just doesn't seem to be a great solution to it. And 10 years ago we had the same arguments with the same people that didn't understand (and never will) our objection to this...
Sigh....

Old 11-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
This is always an issue here in NC - we are Jewish and send our kids to non-religious daycare and had to deal with prayer etc...just doesn't seem to be a great solution to it. And 10 years ago we had the same arguments with the same people that didn't understand (and never will) our objection to this...
Sigh....
If Jesus Christ doesn't come up what's the issue?

Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
The issue is that it's not a part of education, the US prides itself on the separation of Church & State and it's not necessary.

It spins off to "Mom - why don't we pray......" and you are immediately drawing the lines in daycare of "who does what".

Old 11-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
The issue is that it's not a part of education, the US prides itself on the separation of Church & State and it's not necessary.

It spins off to "Mom - why don't we pray......" and you are immediately drawing the lines in daycare of "who does what".
Ok what Church is involved here?

Old 11-06-2015, 11:40 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Clearly you do not mind religion in your pre-school, others including myself do! I don't care who they reference be it God or Christ, it is still religion. You can spin it anyway you want. If a school is non religious then IMO there should not be any blessing or prayer but that does not seem to the be the case for many non religious pre-schools here. As I stated before it is possible to teach gratitude without connecting it to religion. Just because you do not have an objection to it does not mean that others are wrong for not agreeing with the practice.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:01 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
Quote:
Because there are many forms of spirituality that do not involve whether a Jewish carpenter was the literal son of a giant alpha male who lives in the sky. I am a non-observant Jew whose actual spiritual beliefs align more with a hodgepodge of Buddhism and Wicca than with ANY of the religions that came out of the Fertile Crescent.

Now I went to elementary school in the early 1960s, sang Christmas carols in the school choir, and lived to tell the tale. So there is some hypersensitivity that I think we see now. What makes things different now and why perhaps those of us who are not Christian hypersensitive is that our current political environment shows an increasing aggressiveness on the part of evangelical Christians in efforts to put Christianity into the public sphere, to the point that a sizable number of people think that "Christianity" (with nothing about which denomination) SHOULD be the national religion.

Now, I am very much about live and let live, but I have to wonder why it is that some people who profess a strong faith have so much need to have that faith reinforced by insisting that others believe as they do.

Setting up mandatory Christianity, whether in a school, town government, or federal government mandate, is scary as heck to anyone who either has, or whose forbears have, been persecuted because of their faith or culture.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:15 PM

I think you nailed it with hypersensitivity.

Why do you keep coming back to Christianity?

From what we know if there is a religious agenda it could be

jewish
muslim
christian
ba'hai
unitarian universalist
LDS

people get super offended that the concept of God may be coming up where they don't intend and start hand wringing about Christian oppression or something but don't seem to be capable of raising open minded children capable of navigating other points of view

I would literally chuckle at withdrawing a kid from an otherwise good daycare because some of the staff mention God.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Its a false equivalence

And you're conflating evangelical Christianity with all Christianity and that's wrong. Do you think Catholic or mainline churches try to agressivly recruit at things they affiliate with?

Yes I agree the bible does espouse spreading the gospel but to suggest people should always be under guard any Christian is compelled to try to recruit them is wrong.
I come from a mixed religious background. I went to a Catholic grade school in Michigan. The nuns were constantly telling me that it was my obligation to convert my protestant relatives. My family believed in religion being a private matter.

Here's where Happy Holidays comes from. It comes from not embarrassing people, but wishing them happiness on whatever holiday they celebrate. Is that difficult for you? However, here's what annoys me. . .evangelical christians who think that only their version of christianity is "Christian".

If a school advertises themselves as secular that's what they should be. It's like the evangelical push to do prayers at public schools & meetings. What's wrong with a moment of silence? It's like the religious-right demanding to keep our long tradition of in God we trust & one nation under God everywhere. What a crock. The one nation under god was inserted into the pledge of allegiance during the McCarthy reign of terror over communism.

Take a deep breath & relax. Some people really do prefer to have the final say about their children's religious instruction. Look at it this way, how would you feel if your children came home reciting a few "harmless" verses from the Torah or the Koran?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Happy holidays is fine with me

But if someone says merry Christmas I don't make posts on citydata about oppressive Christians either

I would be thrilled if my kid went to a day care that blended study and ethics from all scripture. And I don't think any Christian would be bothered about quoting the Torah lol

The only thing I would be opposed is explicit endorsement of a particular faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary