Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Gee thanks. PDD, your limited experience as a retiree in the Sandhills are hardly relevant to a parent's experience in the Triangle.
Really the Triangle is not in the bible belt? I'll have to send a note to AARP and inform them of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
No, it's not especially. I have no idea what you're talking about re AARP.

City-Data has some nice stats on religion. Pinehurst/Moore Co is a bit more religious than Raleigh, where "none" is almost 54%. In Durham "none" has 58%, in Orange County it's 56%. Slightly more than half of people in Moore County are religious. A little more than 24% of folks in Moore Co are evangelicals, to about 18% in Wake Co.

//www.city-data.com/city/Pinehu...-Carolina.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

Contrast the stats for Moore Co and Wake Co to Birmingham AL where "none" is only 16% and evangelicals, alone, are 47% of the population. 84% of people follow one flavor of religion or another. THAT'S the Bible Belt. //www.city-data.com/city/Birmingham-Alabama.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
You are in the Bible belt, what else do you expect? Despite fervent and continuous denials on this board, religion is crammed down your throat at every opportunity.
So very much not true. Religion rarely ever comes up in my daily life. We are not church-goers and don't have very many friends who are. The ones who are very seldom mention it and certainly don't cram it down your throat. I do have friends from growing up in SE NC who do live their beliefs and like to share a lot with others, but they don't live in the Triangle.

Last edited by poppydog; 11-01-2015 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-01-2015, 02:24 PM

BTW, overall Hartford CT is more religious than Raleigh, with 49.5% of folks following a religion in Hartford to 46.4% in Raleigh/Wake Co. Albany NY is very slightly less religious than Raleigh with 45.2% religious, and Brooklyn is a little more religious with 51.6%.

There are more Catholics up north and more Protestants, both evangelical and mainline, in the South.

Raleigh/Wake Co is about the same as San Jose/Santa Clara Co. The "nones" have 56.4% of the vote in San Jose (43.6% religious), so in between Raleigh and Durham. San Francisco is the clear winner in the "none" category so far with 64.7%.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 PM

425 posts, read 462,551 times
After being here for 15 months, I have been asked about my collegiate affiliation exponentially more than my religious or church affiliation :-)

Old 11-01-2015, 03:54 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
N

So very much not true. Religion rarely ever comes up in my daily life. We are not church-goers and don't have very many friends who are. The ones who are very seldom mention it and certainly don't cram it down your throat. I do have friends from growing up in SE NC who do live their beliefs and like to share a lot with others, but they don't live in the Triangle.
They could be burning people at the stake in the town commons and you would say they were just sunbathing.

Just because you decide to ignore something doesn't mean it's not there.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
No, it's not especially. I have no idea what you're talking about re AARP.
Because it makes about as much sense as pointing out that I am retired in the Sandhills.

Look I got nothing against people worshiping the invisible friend in the sky but do it in your own home or church.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Because it makes about as much sense as pointing out that I am retired in the Sandhills.
Do you HAVE any relevant experience about preschools and daycares in the Triangle? Because otherwise you're just making stuff up about the "Bible Belt".

Old 11-01-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
They could be burning people at the stake in the town commons and you would say they were just sunbathing.

Just because you decide to ignore something doesn't mean it's not there.
Like you're ignoring the statistics I posted that show how less than half the people in Wake County are religious? How Raleigh is on par with San Jose and cities in New York and Connecticut for religious adherents?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
someone would call burning people at the stake "sunbathing" ... Ohhkay.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:52 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Do you HAVE any relevant experience about preschools and daycares in the Triangle? Because otherwise you're just making stuff up about the "Bible Belt".
I have relevant experience with preschools in the Triangle, three of them in fact. All non religious per there own paperwork yet 2 said a prayer or a blessing before snack/meals. Not a "thank you mother earth", a thank you God prayer.

Sang to the tune of Thumbkin:
"thank you god, thank you god
for our food, for our food
and the many blessings,
we thank you, we thank you"

No, this is not the end of the world but when I pick a pre-school that is corporate with no religious affiliation, I find it surprising that my child is being taught a prayer. Call it what you want, it is a prayer.

Yes Poppydog I agree that people in areas of NY are probably just as religious however, it is brought up here more in everyday conversation. For example watching the news on a major network the anchor referenced how the weather would be "after services" on Sunday. I have never heard that on the news in the NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary