Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2006, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 29,027 times

Advertisements

Hi all

We're hoping to relocate to NC in the near future and have started looking into the various parts of the state. I've been reading these threads and it looks like you all provide a wealth of information! Hope you can help me.

We've already explored Asheville and loved everything about it. Only problem was that it seemed like it may be a bit remote to provide us with all the leisure opportunities we'd like to explore (beaches, pro and college sports, etc) Plus, we'll have to continue to work for a few years and the employment options would definitely be limited (accounting field).

We're planning to explore the Triangle area next. Much better job outlook there, particularly in Durham. We loved the downtown area of Asheville but also loved the more rural homesites. My question is this - is there a town in the Raleigh-Durham area that compares to Asheville in general appearance? We'd like to build a custom home on a large wooded lot. Basically, we'd like to have our own private little world but be close to everything (not too much to ask, huh We have no kids, so school isn't a concern for us. Wouldn't want more than a 20 - 30 minute commute, at the most. (less is always better!)

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 03:48 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
Hmm. Might try Carrboro, Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I would have to agree with the pp, although finding land in wake forest is probably a better bet for buying a larger wooded lot. Chapel hill does have some land toward the carrboro side, the lots seem to run around the 80k range, not in a development. In wake forest, there area lots that are in developments for sale, and some that are not. The ones in developments you would need to get approval from the developers in order to build your own house........

In wake forest, if you are on the west side it would take you about 30 minutes to get the research triangle park..........

I think there would also be land in orange county, closer to the durham side.

As far as college sports go this is the PLACE to be, especially if you are a carolina fan (tarheels). Seriously, college basketball is big time here, when I was in high school our teachers would bring televisions into class so that we could watch the ACC tournament. The break down is this:
UNC (aka carolina) fans hate DUKE - we are talking passionately, and actually kind of like NC State in a way that they feel sorry for them and want them to win as long as they are not playing carolina.
NC State fans HATE carolina. Simply hate them, always want them to lose, claim themselves as (ABC fans - anything but carolina).
DUKE fans don't care about anyone else but themselves!

Okay, off of my soapbox now! And, by the way, I am obviously a carolina fan and my husband is an NC State fan..............it is a joyous time in our house.

Leigh

Old 11-17-2006, 07:32 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Well since schools aren't an issue, I'd say Durham would be a good bet for a good lot with a good price.
Yeah, Chapel Hill & Carrboro will "remind" you of Asheville more than Durham will...but those two are very very pricey if you want a big lot. You may find a few lots just to the west of Carrboro though...so it's still worth looking too.
Durham does have a lot of inexpensive land, particularly north of downtown.
So you can probably just widen your focus on most of that whole area.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,892 times
Hi, We are relocating from No. CA to Hollysprings or some town near by. Do any of you know of a senior development. Houseing for active seniors? Thanks, Rusty_ca1943
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary