Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times

Advertisements

Haha North Carolina seems bent on making almost every limited access roadway in the state an Interstate. This one sounds nice on paper but if it just uses 64/17, then it doesn't look like it will cut down much on the current travel time. Then like someone mentioned above, I doubt VA will build its part. They've still yet to construct any part of I-73/74 in their state.

I'm fine with this route if the Feds are paying for it but if NC has to divert money to it from other more important projects in and around our cities where people actually live, then it should just remain a nice idea on paper for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:03 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I-85 meanders to connect key cities. This route basically just meanders.
It "meanders" to connect cities in eastern NC...thats called politics. Plus, it uses existing ROW, rather than having to buy all new ROW.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:53 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
I've never driven to Norfolk from here, but it doesn't seem like it'll save much time, if any. Right now Google says the fastest route from Raleigh is to head up 95 to Emporia and cut over on 58 for a total of 187 miles in 2 hours, 52 minutes. The proposed I-44 route, if it exactly follows the current routing of 64 and 17, would be 207 miles. At 70 mph the whole way, that's 3 hours...you're not saving anything.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The proposed I-44 route, if it exactly follows the current routing of 64 and 17, would be 207 miles. At 70 mph the whole way, that's 3 hours...you're not saving anything.
Like most people have figured out, the "new route" won't really be any quicker than other routes. I think the upgrade and trying to get an interstate designation has more to do with trying to spur economic development along the proposed route/corridor. You see it all over the country, where there are already "interstate-like" roads with a state route or US route attached to them, but people/communities/legislators feel by adding an interstate designation it makes the road sexier and will lead to more economic development as compared to the road not having that interstate shield.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
People don't realize that the less time you spend driving in Virginia, the better. The highway from Emporia to Suffolk is crawling with state troopers in speed traps.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:35 AM

201 posts, read 189,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
People don't realize that the less time you spend driving in Virginia, the better. The highway from Emporia to Suffolk is crawling with state troopers in speed traps.
Emporia has the worst speed trap I've ever seen on 58. They are Emporia officers though, not troopers. Their revenue would probably take somewhat of a hit if more traffic is diverted to an interstate.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
North Carolina seems bent on making almost every limited access roadway in the state an Interstate.
Yes, NCDOT has submitted many such requests, not all of which were approved (example was renaming US 1 between Cary and Sanford I-140; AASHTO said no). On the other hand, the Wade Avenue extension in Raleigh between I-40 and I-440 is numbered SR 1728. It wasn't even graced with a number like NC 940. Same story for the All-America Freeway in Fayetteville, SR 1007.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 5,415 times
This is a huge get for the VA Beach area and for Elizabeth City/eastern NC. I imagine there will be a lot of growth south of VA Beach in NC (the oldest part of NC actually) after all of this gets finally upgraded. It will be good for tourism $$s for Virginia as well as I'm hearing more and more people going to VA Beach. I still prefer South Carolina beaches because they are warmer, but I also have family there which is a plus.

The route isn't the straightest or most efficient for direct Raleigh to Norfolk. It seems rather indirect, but it would be a lot more expensive to build a whole new road directly rather than upgrading the existing routes to an interstate. Local state congressmen probably also pushed for this route as it would benefit constituencies in Tarborro, Edenton, etc.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:40 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
AMEN! Although when I drove to Norfolk and went through Emporia on US-58 from Danville last August I didn't see many state troopers. But man, those Emporia and Greensville County cops were all over the damn place! Quite a few cars were pulled over. The revenue generators were out in full force that day. That's the only place where I make sure I stay at least 2-3mph UNDER the speed limit!

Old 11-09-2015, 04:02 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben__H View Post
This is a huge get for the VA Beach area and for Elizabeth City/eastern NC. I imagine there will be a lot of growth south of VA Beach in NC (the oldest part of NC actually) after all of this gets finally upgraded. It will be good for tourism $$s for Virginia as well as I'm hearing more and more people going to VA Beach. I still prefer South Carolina beaches because they are warmer, but I also have family there which is a plus.

The route isn't the straightest or most efficient for direct Raleigh to Norfolk. It seems rather indirect, but it would be a lot more expensive to build a whole new road directly rather than upgrading the existing routes to an interstate. Local state congressmen probably also pushed for this route as it would benefit constituencies in Tarborro, Edenton, etc.
Rocky Mount would stand to benefit the most of any place between Raleigh and Hampton Roads since it would be at the crossroads of two interstates. That's how it looks on paper anyway. Of course, I doubt a second interstate would save Rocky Mount from the ruin it's in, but that's a different story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary