U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,314 times

Advertisements

Wanted to know if anyone living/working in Knightdale sees the train roll through at all? We were looking at some homes in the area, but there is the Norfolk Southern tracks right across the street, behind a row of houses. We were told by the seller, that they contacted the rail line, and were told it was a "freight line" only, and ran 1-2 times a day at most, and never at night. I contacted the Norfolk company and was told they had no way to predict when or if the lines would be running; it all depended on freight customers.

Now I don't mind a slow moving train once in awhile, but we have a new baby on the way. I was just curious if anyone who lived there could give us a heads up about the train noise around 1st Avenue. We live in East Raleigh now, and frequent Knightdale a lot. But we've yet to ever see a train rolling through there.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,276,817 times
Now I did not even know trains were in Knightdale. Hopefully someone will
enlighten us both .

Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 AM

Yup. The town was founded around the railroad actually. Getting closer to buying the house, but still have yet to see or hear about the train lines. Seems quiet to me.

History of the Town of Knightdale
(http://www.ci.knightdale.nc.us/government/history.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Near the end of the nineteenth century, many citizens of this area saw the need to a establish a town. One of these people was Mr. Henry Haywood Knight. Mr. Knight donated some of his vast land holdings in the area to the Norfolk and Southern Railroad Company in the hopes that a railroad would come to the area. The railroad would provide freight and passenger service, and would facilitate the incorporation of the community. Mr. Knight did not live to see the railroad in Knightdale. Not long after his death in 1904, the railroad finally came to the community that would bear his name.

After the coming of the railroad and the depot, life and commerce in this area began to move at a faster pace. The railroad moved timber and farm products to the market and moved people to Raleigh. As the need for more railroad workers increased, Norfolk and Southern moved many families into the community to take care of the railroad. Many of the older homes in Knightdale were built specifically for the use of railroad workers and their families. The railroad stationmaster's house still exists today along the tracks on Railroad Street.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-05-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: fixed your broken link :)

Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,276,817 times
Well ya see now. that is pretty cool. Luv the old black and white
photos .

It's been a while since I was down there. Will have to look for
the ol' railroad stationmaster's house.

I am glad to hear, so far so good, in reference to the noise. Keep us updated
and anything else ya find to toss up here about Knightdale sure will be appreciated.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 PM

34 posts, read 90,394 times
If it's the same track that runs next to Anderson Point Park off Rogers lane, it doesn't run anymore. They had train cars parked on it ofr almost a year next to the 64 bypass.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:48 PM

34 posts, read 90,394 times
Just called someone who's office is practically on the track and she said that she hasn't herad or seen one in 6 months, so still no definitive answer. Sorry.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 PM

347 posts, read 888,461 times
due to Homeland security concerns, you will never get an official schedule. Knock on doors and ask, neighbors will tell you. The selling agent where i just bought said she never saw a train in F-V but the neighbors said it ran before and after she left.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
If it's the same track that runs next to Anderson Point Park off Rogers lane, it doesn't run anymore.
Yeah, that's the same line. I kinda figured it didn't run anymore, but the sellers agent said it was a freight line, and can sometimes run once or twice a day (only during the day, not the night) in Knightdale. I've yet to see one running though. Either way, it won't be a big deal. Thanks for everyone's input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary