Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:07 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,429,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Mine is in middle school and the popular brands that I see amongst her friends (and two different middle schools) tend to be Hollister, Aeropostale, Abercrombie and Fitch, American Eagle, Forever 21, Roxy, Vans, Converse and Rainbow flip flops. Those brands aren't necessarily expensive if you know how to shop the sales! I don't see many middle schoolers in Crocs.

I was in suburban LA a few months ago and I didn't really see any difference between what the kids were wearing there and what they wear here. My DD and her friends are definitley NOT into Jonas brothers (she considers them along the same lines as Hannah Montana), but I know she liked Fall Out Boy last year.
A Forever 21 opened @ Crabtree a few months ago.. my impression is it is more high school oriented clothes.. but I don't doubt it caters to middle schoolers too. Back to what I said about everything trickling down to a younger age. DD is about fed up with Hollister, she said the middle schoolers have taken it over. Good for my pocketbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 AM

413 posts, read 1,251,706 times
Plato's Closet
Cary, NC 27518
919) 851-9737
Brand Name Gently Used Clothing - Plato's Closet

I agree--Plato's is great (I was very sorry to see the one in our area close!)
This is the way to go. Check also TJ Maxx for deals...you can find certain brands there. But I agree with the original responder too--it should be about how she acts rather than what she wears, but we all know the kids judge based on looks. Just keep encouraging her to be herself and not worry what others think.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,043,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
A Forever 21 opened @ Crabtree a few months ago.. my impression is it is more high school oriented clothes.. but I don't doubt it caters to middle schoolers too. Back to what I said about everything trickling down to a younger age. DD is about fed up with Hollister, she said the middle schoolers have taken it over. Good for my pocketbook.
That's pretty much what happened to LTD2. It used to be big with middle schoolers and now the elementary kids have taken it over. My middle schooler won't go near the stuff but LOVES Hollister. I think Forever 21 was a little "mature" looking for middle schoolers in general (definitely more high school and maybe young college students) but I thought there was some stuff there that was OK for middle school.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,628 times
there are the "in" brands like Hollister and Abercrombie, but like, people don tlike you for your clothes, ask anyone at my school who I am and they will know, weither theyve met me or not and I deffinitly don't wear hollister everyday, i actually scrub(sweet pant/hoodie) at least twice a week

but now that summers coming, soffie shorts and beaters is what me and my friends are wearing

Last edited by autumngal; 04-22-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 05:16 AM

186 posts, read 657,902 times
Default Middle School Fashion - update

Well, people may not like you for your clothes, but if people are in a mind to tease you, clothes are a good place to start. My daughter has already become the target of what I judge to be envious girls who only yesterday asked her why she was wearing such an ugly shirt. When she responded that it wasn't her shirt (it was twins day and she was wearing her friend's shirt) the girl asked her why she couldn't find any cool clothes of her own.You are fortunate that at your school, people don't judge you based on what you wear.BUT, now that we're here, we ran out and bought some rainbow sandals because NO ONE wears Vans (even though we just paid too much for my daughter to order some custom designed Vans and had them shipped from China.)I laughed when I saw my daughter's friend (the nicest girl I've ever met) wearing Sperry Topsiders. Total flashback. My daughter thinks they are terribly ugly, even though they are popular. I've been to the school several times and most kids don't seem to think about fashion. It's a lot of hooded sweatshirts, jeans and beat up Nikes. I think my daughter just feels particularly pressured to dress fashionably. Her next request is capri jeans and I'll probably get her some bermuda/walking shorts when it starts to warm up consistently. Also a lot of girls wear those hoop earrings that are about the side of a silver dollar. I don't care for them but I'll spend the five bucks if I find them at Target. Also, my son has very nice skater shoes, and he says no one else seems to wear shoes like his (like I said, all I saw were beat up white Nikes and some rainbow sandals)

Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,043,514 times
My DD is 13 and LOVES her Vans, although she has some Rainbows too, but they aren't supposed to wear flip flops to school! She also can't stand the Sperry topsiders, so tell your DD that there are some girls here who like to dress like she does!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 AM

420 posts, read 1,393,836 times
Both my girls (11 and 17) practically live in their Sperry's! They are hugely popular here.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 AM

420 posts, read 1,393,836 times
I agree...a very strong middle road! My girls both have Sperry's...bought on sale for $29.99. They both know how to shop sales, and balance fashion trends with good sense.

I don't think wanting what the others have is necessarily a character flaw either. I've been known to say "Oh, that is CUTE...where did you get that??" to many a woman in my day. I don't think it makes me a slave to trends. I think it makes me normal.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:37 PM

414 posts, read 1,255,052 times
YES! Definitely Plato's Closet. If bargain shopping isn't important, then Hollister and Aeropostale are staples, per my cousin who is that age. If you are at the mall and hear obnoxiously loud music pumping from within, odds are it's popular with that age. lol...

Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,709,347 times
We all we're picked on in school, but the ones who survived gave back as good as they got. When I was in elementary school I was picked on for my "Inspector Gadget" coat which was a real nice London Fog coat. Kids at that age through high-school are mental midgets and they pick on those whom they feel won't say or do anything. But if you turn the table on this babies, they don't know what to do. You have to. I don't have children, but I say dress them in whatever you can afford. You can find decent stuff at Marshall's, Ross and TJ Maxx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary