Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:39 AM

169 posts, read 340,398 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have identified NC as a place to relocate to, but I want to hear from people in the Triangle that have allergies, or know someone that does.

I had severe allergies growing up, not just seasonal hay fever. Later as an adult who moved many places I found that some places my allergies were fine and others they were pretty bad. I don't want to go back to regular shots and even non-drowsy over the counter allergy medicine still makes me drowsy. So I need to get the low down on how people with allergies fare in the Triangle?

I am also considering other areas in the state such as the Triad area and perhaps coastal NC, so am trying to compare not just the Triangle to other states, but the Triangle to other NC locations.

Thank you for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 01:12 PM

142 posts, read 223,575 times
We moved here from the midwest about five years ago. My son had awful allergies in the midwest, but since moving here is no longer bothered by them at all, not even when the pollen pours down in the spring. My daughter, however, had very slight allergies in the midwest but here has terrible allergies, to the point that she's currently undergoing immunotherapy for allergies.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:21 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
You should research this pretty hard. I never had allergies until I moved here. Everyone is affected differently so what holds true for some may not hold true for you. I'd google around for allergy maps for all seasons for the area. My whole family is affected in spring and fall.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
NC is allergy central.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:59 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,954 times
Yes, allergies can be rough here - some people claim that they improve with time and exposure (or shots); I've lived here my entire life, and mine have progressively worsened (shots did not help me).
I lived at the coast for a few years - still had allergies, just to different things. However, the salty air did seem to provide some relief. Or maybe it was the general atmosphere....

Aside from that, it is a great place to live Good luck!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Come visit a couple of times during allergy season and see how you fare. I think that's going to be the best way to figure it out.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Come visit a couple of times during allergy season and see how you fare. I think that's going to be the best way to figure it out.
It can take a while to get allergy symptoms, but they will arrive. Do not be fooled if you don't feel it right away.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:48 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
It can take a while to get allergy symptoms, but they will arrive. Do not be fooled if you don't feel it right away.
Hmmm, I've lived here, oh, how long — oh that's right, all my life — with no allergies. Definitely NOT TRUE for everyone. Some people are sensitive to what we've got around here and some people aren't. There's no way to say whether CChip55 will be allergic to our stuff without either coming here or knowing what allergies they currently have. If they have been tested and have allergies to pine or mold or ragweed then NC might not be a great place for them. FWIW, I don't think that there's much difference in allergens across the state. You might possibly have some different allergen producers right on the beach front, but we've got high humidity and pine and oak trees all over.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:01 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
What Are Top 10 Worst States for Allergies? | LIVESTRONG.COM

They state that Raliegh-Durham and Greensboro are the two top areas in the state for allergies, with high levels of grass, tree and weed pollen. If you are bothered by these types of pollen then you should review your options during peak seasons.
Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro are two top cities in North Carolina for allergies. South Carolina follows behind, - See more at: What Are Top 10 Worst States for Allergies? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary