Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:53 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I didn't find the Downtown area exciting. Maybe I didn't go to the right spots. Can you name the areas where one should look for good nightlife in Raleigh? I get the feeling that most of the people in Raleigh tend to go out as couples and not as singles, whereas in other cities, you are more likely to see a lot of single people out and about.
Yes, there is a lot of that. As I said, you can find better cities than Raleigh for a singles nightlife scene. Many people that go out know each other, or are in college. But there are single people that go out downtown, it's just not in numbers like in more happening places. I prefer nightclubs...so I frequent places like Neptune's Parlour and Solas. There are good bars Downtown and in Glenwood South (love the Beer Garden), but I don't think you'd get many dates or friendships there.

There are other ways. Meetups, OkCupid, work, etc. People are friendly here. I've met some people just by going grocery shopping and at the coffee shops. But again, if your primary goal is to meet people, then there are better cities to relocate to without knowing anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 11:54 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
You're not being difficult just truthful! It isn't much to speak of!

Be prepared to be called Saturnfan's evil spawn / introverted / depressed for speaking the truth however...
What is your problem? You clearly don't read my posts. I post both positive and negative stuff about Raleigh...whatever I like or don't like.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:15 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What is your problem? You clearly don't read my posts. I post both positive and negative stuff about Raleigh...whatever I like or don't like.
Relax.
Your glass is half full or better, and that just rankles some people.
Just keep on keeping on.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:56 PM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
Quote:
Where do most people hang out after hours? Can you provide more details regarding the specific areas? Is it mostly downtown? I visited downtown Raleigh and was a bit disappointed, because there doesn't appear to be any real dating/social scene.
Downtown by its self may be a little limiting depending on the day and hour, but I usually hang in Cameron Village, Glenwood South, Hillsborough St, along with Downtown. Those areas are usually bustling with people, especially on the weekends. That said, it all depends on what you expect from a downtown. I mean someone in this very thread said their wife considered DT Raleigh more impressive Than DT Phoenix. Its honestly subjective.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
I feel two things that people need to keep in mind on many things, including the notion Raleigh (or the Triangle for that matter) isn't good for young singles; one, everything is subjective like epicene101 said and two nothing is really ever an absolute. I think people think in absolutes too much, that everyone in this group and everyone in that group is going to always love or hate something, when in reality, who can have young singles absolutely love the Triangle and what it has and offers and other young singles absolutely hate the Triangle and what it doesn't have and doesn't offer.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:46 PM

562 posts, read 464,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
People are friendly here.
I certainly agree with the above statement. This is what I like best about Raleigh.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:40 PM

25 posts, read 33,097 times
Out of curiousity, is there anyplace that we would be at all similar to Cameron Village, Glenwood South, etc., but would be further away from DT (towards North Raleigh or RTP?)?

Old 12-06-2015, 04:28 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomarsFool View Post
Out of curiousity, is there anyplace that we would be at all similar to Cameron Village, Glenwood South, etc., but would be further away from DT (towards North Raleigh or RTP?)?
I would say North Hills, which people also call Midtown. You have residential, ton of restaurants, shopping of course, a grocery store (Harris Teeter), a bowling alley (Kings North Hills), a movie theater (Regal Cinemas North Hills Stadium 14) and a park (Midtown Park). And if you can swing it, you can even work in the area and not even need a car except to get out of Midtown!

http://visitnorthhills.com/

Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I didn't find the Downtown area exciting. Maybe I didn't go to the right spots. Can you name the areas where one should look for good nightlife in Raleigh? I get the feeling that most of the people in Raleigh tend to go out as couples and not as singles, whereas in other cities, you are more likely to see a lot of single people out and about.
It appears that you're from - or have lived in - the NYC area. Raleigh/The Triangle cannot compare to NYC. I also see you asked about "after hours"' if you mean late night, or after 22 am, then the answer is - or has always been, maybe it is changing - "home" - there was nothing open that late, and almost all restaurant kitchens stopped at 10 pm.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:42 PM

562 posts, read 464,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I would say North Hills, which people also call Midtown. You have residential, ton of restaurants, shopping of course, a grocery store (Harris Teeter), a bowling alley (Kings North Hills), a movie theater (Regal Cinemas North Hills Stadium 14) and a park (Midtown Park). And if you can swing it, you can even work in the area and not even need a car except to get out of Midtown!

North Hills | Raleigh's Midtown
I stayed in the heart of North Hills at the Hyatt House, while searching for an apartment in the Triangle area. The people were nice and I liked being close to a lot of stores, but I didn't see anyone walking around (outside of the North Hills Mall area). The area is very suburban, with no transportation options, therefore I wouldn't relocate to the area w/out a car.

I found a lovely apartment in North Hills, but now I'm considering Downtown Durham.

Last edited by Cara_319; 12-06-2015 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary