Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:49 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times

Advertisements

Recently had a problem with my GE Dryer, Called One Source Appliance Repair, was in a desperate situation to get it working. They said $65 as service charge to diagnose the problem. The technician comes and opens the dryer and pulls the broken belt, took 5 minutes! Went to his truck and had the part needed. He gave an estimate of $75 for labor, $40 for belt plus $65 service charge. Total $180. He did gave a quote before starting the work and I agreed, Since I was in a need to fix this, I went ahead and got it done. Work completed in about 30 minutes. No issues there, the technician vacuumed the lint and did a nice job.

Just wondering is this the normal ? I was thinking if the part is available during the visit, shouldn't it just be the labor and parts charge ($115) ?

Incidentally, had a problem with my garage the same day , Mike from Grand Opening Garage came and after inspection saw the spring had broken and recommended replacing them. Went to his truck and had the part with him and charged $235 ($80 labor and $150 Part). Very professional and nice guy, did a great job!

Comments ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 10:12 AM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
You paid a fair price. The aggravation of fixing it yourself needs to be taken into account. I have replaced the belt on my dryer. Was without a working dryer for 5 days. got the part and it took me 2 hours to have it back up and running. PITA.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:13 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
IMO getting anything done these days for under a couple hundred bucks is a win. Seems reasonable, and next time you'll know you can do it yourself.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:42 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Typical.

$99 to diagnose
$100 an hour for labor
Parts marked up 65%

Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I think assuming a full hour of labor, plus the parts as quoted, would be very reasonable to expect. Unless for some reason you live a goodly ways out. To me, the service fee should largely be folded into the labor, if you're able to get the work done on the spot.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Comments ??
If you have any mechanical ability consider learning from YouTube and attempting to do your own repairs.

Two months ago my clothes washer failed. The agitator stopped moving. I searched Google and YouTube. Found a video which gave clear instructions for diagnosis and repair. I bought the needed part from an eBay vendor and it came four days later. $15 for the part (including shipping), 15 minutes to install, the machine works flawlessly!

One month ago my broiler failed. No flame. I searched Google and YouTube. Found a video which gave clear instructions for diagnosis and repair. I bought the needed part from an Amazon vendor and it came four days later. $24 for the part (including shipping), 5 minutes to install, back in business!

Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post

Comments ??
Any kind of home repair seems to cost a lot of money these days. But it may not be that lucrative. I never see these guys driving around in a Mercedes and living in McMansions.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Appliances are many times not worth fixing. we rent from Appliance Warehouse and a call to them will promptly bring a repair or replacement.

This company also has older style washers that don't get moldy.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
That sounds about right. Running a small business eats up a lot of that money, and they have to charge enough on each job for a multitude of contingencies completely unrelated to doing that specific job. I agree with Daniel though, YouTube has a video on how to fix anything and I have repaired a few of my appliances that way, usually pretty easy work. It is easy to get into repair bills higher than the appliance is worth.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Appliances are many times not worth fixing. we rent from Appliance Warehouse and a call to them will promptly bring a repair or replacement.

This company also has older style washers that don't get moldy.
I just, for the fun of it, looked them up. $34/month is $408/yr in rental fees for the "older style" (read: top loader washer). I can't believe they get people to pay that, you're buying a brand new washer and dryer in under two years. Do you lease your cars too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary