Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:28 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Overall, Wake was up 5% on reassessment. Residential was flat while commercial was up 19%.

Wake County: Home values rebound, commercial surging since recession | News & Observer
Which would mean a revenue neutral tax rate would represent a decrease from the current tax rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Overall, Wake was up 5% on reassessment. Residential was flat while commercial was up 19%.

Wake County: Home values rebound, commercial surging since recession | News & Observer
Municipalities?
"Apex, Cary, Morrisville and Holly Springs are the only towns where the majority of properties saw their values rise, Kinrade said."
"Values remained stagnant in Fuquay-Varina and other parts of Raleigh, while they fell between 2 and 6 percent in Eastern Wake towns such as Garner, Knightdale and Zebulon. They also fell 5 percent in Wake Forest, where new construction is keeping resale prices low, Anfindsen said."

Will the tax burden shift over to the commercial sector? To the extent that it will hurt businesses?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Our house in Holly Springs remained the same give or take a few hundred bucks. Works for me!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The way I understand it, once it is decided how much money the county needs for the budget, all the values are added together with a little hokus pokus, divided into the budget number, and the new rate is established. Then each property valuation is multiplied by that rate. (Yes, that would be the simple way). So if the country budget goes up, but there are lots of new taxpayers, our amounts could theoretically stay the same. Wouldn't that be nice....
When has that ever happened?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Um, 2014 tax year?

(At least for Wake County.)

Old 12-10-2015, 09:40 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
In 2008, because of revaluation, Wake County cut its tax rate to 53.4 cents from 67.8 cents. I'm sure some people saw their tax bills stay the same, or even drop.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:42 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Rates will always go up a little due to inflation. Also, to get this right, one would need to think about Wake county and town/city taxes separately. The county might keep your taxes low while your town portion might go up. Or vice versa. Luckily I am in the county where the rates are the lowest (as are the services). That is why the towns and cities are always eager to swallow us up if we ask them to.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
In 2008, because of revaluation, Wake County cut its tax rate to 53.4 cents from 67.8 cents. I'm sure some people saw their tax bills stay the same, or even drop.
Yes, ours dropped in 2008.

luv4horses' post really conflates two different circumstances...the revaluations that occur every eight years and the annual tax rate changes that occur without revaluation.

But taking the "iif the [county] budget goes up, but there are lots of new taxpayers, our amounts could theoretically stay the same" statement on its own, 2014 is the last year that happened in Wake. The tax rate remained flat at .534% but the budget grew.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Based on having gone through this revaluation cycle a few times, I think it's fair to presume that if your property valuation change is aligned with the overall county valuation change (in this case pretty close to zero), you can probably expect that the new valuations alone won't change your tax bill. If your valuation increased this year, I would expect an increase in your taxes. If your valuation decreased, it's pretty safe to assume that your taxes will drop accordingly.
With the new residential valuations being flat since the last valuation, I would be surprised if the tax rates adjusted much at all because of the new values.
It's important to remember that the 2007 valuations were done at the top of the local RE market and during a year that saw the Triangle come to the RE boom party very late and just as formerly red hot markets were deflating. In fact, it was because of those other formerly red hot markets deflating that many prognosticators were saying to invest in more stable places like Raleigh. Well, that was short lived given the financial crisis of 2008. So, to make a long story short, many properties were overvalued. Of course, it's all relative because the millage was adjusted following that valuation. So, even if you didn't appeal your valuation, I doubt that many were soaked because of the inflated valuation. All this new valuation is saying is that, since 2007, the overall real market values have finally caught up to the inflated values of 8 years ago. Of course, the market is made up of winners and losers with some properties having gone wildly up while other having stagnated or declined in value.
Personally, my property is a downtown condo. In the last valuation, dt condos were all the rage and the valuation then reflected that trend. Since 2007 it never really had the value on the market that the county said it had. I know this because I know what condos have sold for in my particular line over time. This time around, the tax value is very believable (it went down 20K) and I expect that my taxes will as well.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 AM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
Ours is up 7% in Holly Springs, outside of town limits. We just bought the house and had it appraised in June. It makes sense that the new assessed value is within a few thousand of what the appraisal was. Pretty much everyone in our neighborhood saw an increase, I believe this is primarily due to most of the lots being > .50 of an acre. Our house is on .97 of an acre, so it was the land that triggered the increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary