Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
We have a winner! Caroliandawg2 nailed it. No growth without water and sewer and roads.
Not really.

You see more and bigger developments outside of town than you do in town. Lack of sewer doesn't have anything to do with development. Look down 15-501 and all the construction that's going on there -- Briar Chapel being a prime example but it's all up and down that stretch in the Chatham County portion of Chapel Hill. It's all due to Chatham County's pro-development board of county commissioners.

I think hey_guy was trying to make that point but it was a little muddled there (one pint too many?). Chapel Hill has purposefully adopted slow growth policies, but it is growing and construction is going on all around town much to the dismay of the CHALT PAC folks. We'll see if the new mayor and town council slow it on down further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Not really.

You see more and bigger developments outside of town than you do in town. Lack of sewer doesn't have anything to do with development. Look down 15-501 and all the construction that's going on there -- Briar Chapel being a prime example but it's all up and down that stretch in the Chatham County portion of Chapel Hill. It's all due to Chatham County's pro-development board of county commissioners.
Actually, the availability of water and sewer has everything to do with development.

Quote:
I think hey_guy was trying to make that point but it was a little muddled there (one pint too many?). Chapel Hill has purposefully adopted slow growth policies, but it is growing and construction is going on all around town much to the dismay of the CHALT PAC folks. We'll see if the new mayor and town council slow it on down further.
Yes, and primary among those is the decision to not extend water and sewer into undeveloped areas.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 AM

No, it doesn't in this case C-dawg. Have you been up here recently? You can do a search on Zillow or Realtor or one of those big sites for new home construction in Chapel Hill and you will get a zillion hits in Briar Chapel which is out in Chatham County between Chapel Hill proper and Pittsboro as are a bunch of other developments. Chapel Hill has a well known slow growth policy and that's why you see a Walmart right across the Chatham County line and right across the Durham County line. The CH Town Council has been very stingy about who they give permits to. BUT there is still a lot of growth in Chapel Hill, it's just extremely tightly controlled. Chapel Hill does not want to be another Cary and they will do everything they can to avoid that.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't in this case C-dawg. Have you been up here recently? You can do a search on Zillow or Realtor or one of those big sites for new home construction in Chapel Hill and you will get a zillion hits in Briar Chapel which is out in Chatham County between Chapel Hill proper and Pittsboro as are a bunch of other developments. Chapel Hill has a well known slow growth policy and that's why you see a Walmart right across the Chatham County line and right across the Durham County line. The CH Town Council has been very stingy about who they give permits to. BUT there is still a lot of growth in Chapel Hill, it's just extremely tightly controlled. Chapel Hill does not want to be another Cary and they will do everything they can to avoid that.
I really don't understand what you're saying. Chatham County isn't Chapel Hill; Briar Chapel is not connected to the Orange County water and sewer. And that really proves the point, which is, Chapel Hill is restricting development, so its occurring in places like Chatham County. I feel like we are saying the same thing, which is, Chapel Hill has instituted controls in order to keep growth manageable. One of those controls, in fact the biggest one, is the restriction of water and sewer by creating the urban services growth boundary. I don't understand what part of what I'm saying you disagree with.

Perhaps this will help make it clearer:

"The towns and county agreed decades ago to create the urban services growth boundary and rural buffer as a way to control urban sprawl. Water and sewer services are not provided outside the urban services boundary, making intensive development impossible. The buffer preserved the county’s rural lands, but as a result, Chapel Hill and Carrboro now have little undeveloped land, and what they do have is getting more expensive."

Read more here: Obey Creek information meetings start Wednesday | News & Observer

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 12-11-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
mentions chatham county development in a conversation about chapel hill development

implies I'm drinking

honestly it's hilarious reading the poor baiting you guys are doing to me

doubly hilarious nick calls directing disagreement at him 'personal attack' and then weaves in actual personal attacks in every post to me

its an online forum plz calm down

Old 12-11-2015, 11:52 AM

Part of Chapel Hill is in Chatham County, hey_guy, or did you not know that? All of Briar Chapel has a Chapel Hill address. Part of Chapel Hill is also in Durham County.

I think you have some good points, but I was a little confused about some of what you were trying to say.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Part of Chapel Hill is in Chatham County, hey_guy, or did you not know that? All of Briar Chapel has a Chapel Hill address. Part of Chapel Hill is also in Durham County.

I think you have some good points, but I was a little confused about some of what you were trying to say.
Not true. Np portion of the Chapel Hill city limits is in Chatham County.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
Not sure it was your intention, but it makes it sound like this is entirely of Chapel Hill's choosing, which it's not. Most folks living in Orange County are perfectly fine with Orange County schools and muni services. They don't want to be annexed into Chapel Hill-Carrboro where they would have to pay higher city tax rate and the additional school tax. For example, I'm in the rural buffer zone and like not having to pay the additional city tax, just the county and Ch-C school taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
To answer the OP's question, Chapel Hill put a policy in place many years ago to not extend water and sewer lines beyond where those lines were at that time. This effectively controlled the growth of the town, thus it hasn't grown as rapidly as places like Cary. And as pointed out, there is a separate school tax in Chapel Hill, which has provided funds to allow school construction to keep up with the growth that has occurred.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Not sure it was your intention, but it makes it sound like this is entirely of Chapel Hill's choosing, which it's not. Most folks living in Orange County are perfectly fine with Orange County schools and muni services. They don't want to be annexed into Chapel Hill-Carrboro where they would have to pay higher city tax rate and the additional school tax. For example, I'm in the rural buffer zone and like not having to pay the additional city tax, just the county and Ch-C school taxes.
Well, prior to 2011, it was entirely Chapel Hill's choosing. CH could have extended utilities and gobbled up all the land they wanted, just like Cary. With the change to NC's annexation laws at that time, residents now have to agree to be annexed.

Today, Chapel Hill could choose to loosen the urban services boundary, and extend water and sewer to those who wish to hook on in exchange for annexation. I'm sure developers would be happy to do so.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 12-11-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Briar Chapel has water and sewer, they just aren't getting them from Orange County. Thats why its in Chatham County. Its not part of the Town of Chapel Hill. If Chapel Hill would allow it, there would be many Briar Chapels as part of Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary