Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:04 AM

610 posts, read 745,728 times

Advertisements

I was disappointed when I moved up north (here) to find that basements weren't common.

It would have been nice to have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 02:47 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keadlez View Post
Most people come to the Triangle to avoid that lifestyle, people around here would rather drive to work than take the bus/train, so in terms of behavior it's kind of ironic that they are supporting that in the future by buying big homes on small lots.
Citation needed. I don't buy that argument. I don't think the majority of people here, especially people in the RTP / downtowns want to drive. I'd love to avoid my commute by taking a train, doing pre-work on the way to work.

Younger generations also are increasingly of this mindset.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 AM

131 posts, read 144,770 times
Member of that younger generation here! I agree with the above, and especially with what Bull City Rising said (cd won't let me rep you again). I moved here for one reason only, and that was a good job in my field.

I would prefer to live in a dense, walkable community with easy access to services, stores, entertainment, and restaurants. I'd love to not have to drive everywhere, and I really enjoy the type of vibrancy that comes with that sort of development.

The "market" (since someone else brought it up) agrees. After the housing bubble burst, the inner ring suburbs near transit, services, and urban cores retained their value much more than sprawled out subdivisions. People (mostly people my age) are choosing denser housing, and moving back into city centers in droves. As are jobs, entertainment, etc.

Not to say that suburbs are dead. Everyone appreciates greenery and space. Just that the suburbs of the future will likely be more dense, and vibrant than the Pleasantvilles of the past. And tbh, that denser model is much better from an environmental standpoint, an economic one, and by some measures quality of life (more walking/cycling=better health, and more opportunities to socialize and build community, rather than walling yourself off).

Old 12-15-2015, 06:23 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
the inner ring suburbs near transit, services, and urban cores retained their value much more than sprawled out subdivisions
There's no doubt that ITB recovered quickest. One can argue why, however. Lifestyle preference might be the answer. But another possible answer is simply supply... there is a nearly-fixed supply of housing ITB, whereas construction OTB has continued. It's also true that there were fewer foreclosures ITB and therefore fewer properties that were dumped onto the market in 2009. To some extent this reflects the income streams of ITB which are more driven by public sector jobs like NCSU.

Note that values also increased in western Wake (Apex, Cary, Morrisville, and Holly Springs) which is classic suburbia.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:56 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Not to say that suburbs are dead. Everyone appreciates greenery and space. Just that the suburbs of the future will likely be more dense, and vibrant than the Pleasantvilles of the past. And tbh, that denser model is much better from an environmental standpoint, an economic one, and by some measures quality of life (more walking/cycling=better health, and more opportunities to socialize and build community, rather than walling yourself off).
Can you explain to me how a dense suburb like Cary (pop 150k+) is better for the environment than a suburb of say, 30k. I can assure you that very few people in Cary are walking anywhere, even if where they want to go is within a walkable distance.

I'm not trying to argue here, I'm really trying to get the other side of the story. People keep pulling the environment card, and I just don't see how a suburb of Cary's size is helping the environment in any way. Yet dense neighborhood after dense neighborhood keeps getting built.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Member of that younger generation here! I agree with the above, and especially with what Bull City Rising said (cd won't let me rep you again). I moved here for one reason only, and that was a good job in my field.

I would prefer to live in a dense, walkable community with easy access to services, stores, entertainment, and restaurants. I'd love to not have to drive everywhere, and I really enjoy the type of vibrancy that comes with that sort of development.

The "market" (since someone else brought it up) agrees. After the housing bubble burst, the inner ring suburbs near transit, services, and urban cores retained their value much more than sprawled out subdivisions. People (mostly people my age) are choosing denser housing, and moving back into city centers in droves. As are jobs, entertainment, etc.

"Millenial" here too. I agree with all of this. I think Durham/Chapel Hill and ITB/North Hills are the few select places in the Triangle where this market exists. Western Wake will probably never really be that way. The reality is because even though these denser, more walkable areas in the Triangle are way more popular for people our age; the suburban family dynamic definitely exists and thrives in these "hip" areas to.... just not in the overwhelmingly dominant caliber it does in Cary/Apex/HS and mostly (with a causality relationship) at a higher $ premium . I think most people who choose to live in Western Wake do so for that more homogeneous suburban dynamic that holds it's own there.

Would I rule out moving back to Apex when a wife and kids come along? Definitely not (I would rule out Cary..sorry Cary). But for right now I'm definitely happier in the more dynamic Chapel Hill-Carrboro young professional set.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:

I'd just like to point out that by the time you hit 28, you start to see them move out to the burbs again, because babies.

And, there are more of my parents generation that is moving into denser housing, for the same reason that SINKS and DINKS like to live closer in.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:50 AM

236 posts, read 186,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Citation needed. I don't buy that argument. I don't think the majority of people here, especially people in the RTP / downtowns want to drive. I'd love to avoid my commute by taking a train, doing pre-work on the way to work.

Younger generations also are increasingly of this mindset.
If you can get some work done in this environment, then have at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhptE8ROli0

The under 30 crowd likes to live within walking to bars and restaurants because it makes getting plastered and hooking up easier due to tighter drunk driving laws.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Those mean old developers and their small lots and clear cutting. How DARE they make a higher ROI instead of doing things at cost!

LOLZ

All of this stuff is driven by the market, people. Geez

Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
When we moved here in 2007, we chose a larger home on a very small lot outside the outer ring. We had two tweens and wanted them to have green spaces to play and to be close to friends. We did not want a big yard of our own to maintain.

Now that they are in college, we have sold that house and bought a place downtown. We are Gen Xers who want no external personal space and to be able to walk as many places as possible. I grew up in a very rural area with acres of space, and I always wanted to be able to walk to shop and eat. (not so much on the getting drunk and hooking up - been married for 25 years)

What has amazed me the most about this thread is the inability of some posters to even imagine how someone else could want a home with different characteristics than those the poster would choose. Why is it so hard to understand that we all value different things in housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary