Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,642,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL teacher View Post
Would it be inappropriate to ask, "If we are unhappy with your services, would you be willing to cancel the contract?"
No, it is not. I know a few agents that don't want to work with people that don't want to work with them. Interesting concept... isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 AM

145 posts, read 662,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
I did not sign an exclusive buyer's agreement.
My husband is a Realtor and he doesn't push that document on anyone, he only has them sign it when they are making an offer, yes, he may waste some time occasionally by showing people houses that aren't seriously ready to buy or may have already been working with another Realtor but he is not pushy and honestly once they meet him 9 times out of 10 they buy a house using him so it works.....

Cindy

Old 02-05-2008, 04:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,662,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
I did not sign an exclusive buyer's agreement.
If you did not sign an exclusive buyer's agreement, what type of agency relationship do you have with the agent? Does the agent have any fiduciary responsibility to look out for your interests?

Because, without other signed contract or agreement, technically, real estate agents represent the sellers.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,151 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
No, it is not. I know a few agents that don't want to work with people that don't want to work with them. Interesting concept... isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
If you did not sign an exclusive buyer's agreement, what type of agency relationship do you have with the agent? Does the agent have any fiduciary responsibility to look out for your interests?

Because, without other signed contract or agreement, technically, real estate agents represent the sellers.

You two: Go to the head of the class!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:20 AM

38 posts, read 132,014 times
What do you all think about an internet based realtor? Anyone heard of Ziprealty.com?

FL Teacher: I am also teacher in Florida looking for a home around 150K. My husband is relocating with his job so we don't really have an employment issue, but we do have a son that will be going to school soon. I have been looking at greatschools.net as well to see how the school in our areas rate. Of course, our son can always go to the school that i work at, but I want that to be our second option.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,222,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoFLtoNC View Post
What do you all think about an internet based realtor? Anyone heard of Ziprealty.com?

Too many good local agents for me to waste time with somebody based on the internet. I want somebody I can meet face to face and interview them.

Find yourself a respected knowledgeable local realtor who will take the time to explain "Agency" to you. If you don't understand something ask lots of questions until you do. A good agent would never ask you to sign something you don't yet understand. Understanding their obligations to you and your obligations to them is the first step to a good working relationship.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM

38 posts, read 132,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Too many good local agents for me to waste time with somebody based on the internet. I want somebody I can meet face to face and interview them.

Find yourself a respected knowledgeable local realtor who will take the time to explain "Agency" to you. If you don't understand something ask lots of questions until you do. A good agent would never ask you to sign something you don't yet understand. Understanding their obligations to you and your obligations to them is the first step to a good working relationship.
Okay...so does anyone know or is a respected realtor who is willing to make our first time home purchase a positive experience? Since we're in FL i'll start with other peoples' referrals and go from there.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 13 days ago)

43,151 posts, read 76,719,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoFLtoNC View Post
Okay...so does anyone know or is a respected realtor who is willing to make our first time home purchase a positive experience? Since we're in FL i'll start with other peoples' referrals and go from there.
I bet you don't get many volunteers to contract to make it a negative experience...

Uh-h-h, BTW, My Mom loved me...

Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 AM

266 posts, read 1,050,593 times
Default Sorry, guys, but you are not exactly correct...

that a written buyer's agreement is necessary for fiduciary responsibility to a potential buyer. (See Working With (http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/publications-bulletins/WorkingWith.html - broken link))
While I would personally recommend a written agreement so that there are no misunderstandings, "Buyers' Agency" is the only agreement in North Carolina real estate that does not have to be in writing, at least until an offer is written up.
It IS required that agents give a written form of the "Working with Real Estate Agents" (material at the link), explain it and have it signed. There is a place on it for the client to check that they do NOT want to be represented by a buyer's agent and will be shown property with the agent remaining as a sub agent of the seller. It is NOT a contract, it only serves to prove that an agent has explained agency relationships to someone with whom they have "substantial contact".
Also, the buyer's agency, even if written, can be terminated if the relationship is not working for either party. There is yet another form for that available. If you are balky at signing a contract, but want to be sure you are protected, just make it to cover a short time period. As with any document, read it through before signing. Each company has it's own form. There must be certain provisions in all of them to "hold up in court", but they can vary somewhat.
One very important concept that people fail to understand is that buying a home directly through a builder or listing agent rarely decreases the price of a home. When I first started buying investment property, I thought that myself. I now know that in practice that is not how it works. It would take another long winded message to explain this, but PM me if you want to know why.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 AM

281 posts, read 1,105,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Lady View Post
that a written buyer's agreement is necessary for fiduciary responsibility to a potential buyer. (See Working With (http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/publications-bulletins/WorkingWith.html - broken link))
While I would personally recommend a written agreement so that there are no misunderstandings, "Buyers' Agency" is the only agreement in North Carolina real estate that does not have to be in writing, at least until an offer is written up.
It IS required that agents give a written form of the "Working with Real Estate Agents" (material at the link), explain it and have it signed. There is a place on it for the client to check that they do NOT want to be represented by a buyer's agent and will be shown property with the agent remaining as a sub agent of the seller. It is NOT a contract, it only serves to prove that an agent has explained agency relationships to someone with whom they have "substantial contact".
Also, the buyer's agency, even if written, can be terminated if the relationship is not working for either party. There is yet another form for that available. If you are balky at signing a contract, but want to be sure you are protected, just make it to cover a short time period. As with any document, read it through before signing. Each company has it's own form. There must be certain provisions in all of them to "hold up in court", but they can vary somewhat.
One very important concept that people fail to understand is that buying a home directly through a builder or listing agent rarely decreases the price of a home. When I first started buying investment property, I thought that myself. I now know that in practice that is not how it works. It would take another long winded message to explain this, but PM me if you want to know why.
to add to this.....when you sign the brochure, as a buyer you are being represented in a (keyword) non-exclusive relationship...in other words, you are not bound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary