Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:04 AM

95 posts, read 131,254 times

Advertisements

Conceptually, I think it's great that the City will collect loose leaf piles left by the road. In practice, I don't think it's going well and I was curious what you all think. In my opinion, there are 2 problems:

1. Because loose leaf collection by the City is an option, rather than bag their leaves, folks pile up their leaves in the road by the curb. They're not supposed to do this -- the City's website specifies "Leaf piles should be at the edge of your yard, not in the street" -- but this does not appear to be enforced, as virtually every pile I see is piled up by the curb, spilling into the street. In my neighborhood, some piles are so big they literally block an entire lane of traffic. This is bad for cars and dangerous for people and joggers who have to use the street and are forced to walk down the middle of the road.

2. The City doesn't collect loose leaves often enough. The City is divided into 12 zones, with each zone only being serviced twice per season. That means leaf piles will sit for literally weeks, again, causing an obstruction the entire time, and looking like crap as well.

I understand these leaf collection trucks are probably expensive, but if the City is going to offer the service, thereby encouraging people to take the easier route of simply raking/blowing/sweeping leaves to the curb/road rather than bagging them and disposing with their weekly yard waste collection, I think the City needs to collect more frequently. If that requires the purchase of additional trucks, so be it. In other words, if the City is going to offer the service, I don't think it can do so in a half-assed manner, which seems to be the case currently.

If the City is going to continue the practice of collecting from a neighborhood every other month or less, then I think it needs to begin enforcing its ordinance that leaves should not be piled in the street, and begin issuing citations for violations.

I sound old, but this bugs me every year. I plan to write the City about it, but figured I'd first inquire whether this is something that annoys you all as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:14 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I understand your gripes, but curbside leaf collection is an awesome service, especially considering how low the taxes are around here. The alternatives are you pay to have a private company pick them up, or you take them to a mulching/recycling center and likely pay a fee there as well.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:47 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I understand your gripes, but curbside leaf collection is an awesome service, especially considering how low the taxes are around here. The alternatives are you pay to have a private company pick them up, or you take them to a mulching/recycling center and likely pay a fee there as well.
Well, the other alternative is make people bag them like most other municipalities in the area.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 AM

150 posts, read 227,266 times
Please don't complain about this. For those that have many trees this service is invaluable and saves a significant amount of time as compared to bagging. I'm talking days.

The bigger danger is people parking on both sides of the streets year round, blocking traffic in neighborhoods. How about complaining about that?

Having leaves piled against the curb is hardly an issue in comparison. The city is providing a valuable service and the alternative is that if enough people complain it will no longer be offered.

Our leaves sat out in front last year for a month. I wasn't happy about it but it is much better than no service at all.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:11 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
This is a tremendous service, more useful (for me) than backyard trash pick up that used to be offered.

I have so many trees, that the pile is at least two feet high and extends the entire width of my property. When it comes to placement, I try to split the difference and drop right on the curb. Some spills in the street, some spills on the grass, which gets killed off. If put it all in the grass, there would be no visible grass between the curb and the sidewalk, and all my grass would be killed. Many of the neighbors do the same and it's not really much of an issue.

Two cars parking across from each other is more of an issue.

It does seem to take them a while to pick them up. More often would be better, but then look at all the debris on the edges of city streets and intersections. They are filled with gravel, nuts, bolts, nails and all kinds of other stuff that vehicles have dropped or kicked up.

You know the Factory ice rink in Wake Forest? It used to be a factory that made street sweepers, but they went out of business. Not surprising, since obviously Raleigh never bought any.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:33 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I love the City's pickup service. After all, it's the "City of Oaks". My volume would fill at least 75 bags, perhaps 100. I'm grateful that I don't have to do that.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
The city offers curbside leaf collection? I wasn't even aware of that. How often? Is it free?

I put all my leaves and yard debris either by my curb or in the smaller yard debris green bins and the city picks up weekly at the same schedule as regular waste, so what's the point of the curbside leaf collection?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
The city offers curbside leaf collection? I wasn't even aware of that. How often? Is it free?

I put all my leaves and yard debris either by my curb or in the smaller yard debris green bins and the city picks up weekly at the same schedule as regular waste, so what's the point of the curbside leaf collection?
https://www.raleighnc.gov/home/conte...ollection.html

Old 12-15-2015, 10:25 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
My only complaint is that leaves should be raked or blown to the curb...NOT IN THE STREET! It causes all kinds of problems

Old 12-15-2015, 10:40 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Woodrow View Post

If the City is going to continue the practice of collecting from a neighborhood every other month or less, then I think it needs to begin enforcing its ordinance that leaves should not be piled in the street, and begin issuing citations for violations.
You ain't kidding! I had a discussion about this down the street with a neighbor a few weeks ago. He was blowing his leaves right out in the middle of the road. We almost had a situation I say it's time to issue citations too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary