Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:14 PM

115 posts, read 135,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnard7 View Post
The only thing we didn't care for was how much it seemed like it would grow (urban sprawl). I know I'm a hypocrite, seeing as we want to move there, but what is it going to look like in 2-3 years? Are they handling the growth well? Are we going to get there and have it turn into another Denver, with ridiculous housing prices/large, new homes with no yards and bumper-to-bumper traffic?

I know those are weird questions and I'm sure locals/natives are rolling their eyes at me, but I want to plan the right move for my family to settle down. I'd just like to move to a place where people are proud of their community and want to stay and make it a better place.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, Western Wake is absolutely going to be suburban sprawl. Apex has enough development on the books now that it will double in size. Cary is almost out of room to grow, and Morrisville (squished in the cracks by the airport) is building what feels like nothing but high density townhomes now.

Houses in target areas here go from listing to contract within a just a few days. Houses in areas with coveted school assignments (Green Hope HS, Apex HS, Panther Creek HS) sometimes never truly even make it on to the open market.

We have been here just ten years, and it's already changed drastically. The rise in housing prices for the triangle has been astronomical too. Schools are overcrowded in popular areas to the point that some are capped to new students.

If growth is a negative for you, this is not a place I'd recommend at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 01:21 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
If you buy a house as soon as you move here that will take care of the pesky little problem of rising prices.

Despite the enormous amount of growth in Wake County (home to Apex and Cary) the planning departments are very active and fairly on top of the growth phenomenon. Lots of new schools are being built. Sprawl is not too bad because most of the new housing is houses on small lots, as you would find in some more urban areas. Raleigh and Durham are seeing new apartment complexes. Townhouses are also available (no yard). Simultaneous with this is lots of designated greenways and parks which is great if this lifestyle appeals to you.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:53 PM

21 posts, read 37,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelily View Post
Yes, Western Wake is absolutely going to be suburban sprawl. Apex has enough development on the books now that it will double in size. Cary is almost out of room to grow, and Morrisville (squished in the cracks by the airport) is building what feels like nothing but high density townhomes now.

Houses in target areas here go from listing to contract within a just a few days. Houses in areas with coveted school assignments (Green Hope HS, Apex HS, Panther Creek HS) sometimes never truly even make it on to the open market.

We have been here just ten years, and it's already changed drastically. The rise in housing prices for the triangle has been astronomical too. Schools are overcrowded in popular areas to the point that some are capped to new students.

If growth is a negative for you, this is not a place I'd recommend at all.
That's a fair assessment, Jake. Have you been around the Holly Springs area? Any better?

I guess I'm not against growth as long as it's controlled. I actually don't mind the capping in schools and such if it helps the flow of things. I would just like to buy a "forever" home (nothing nowadays is forever, but still) that's not a fake-looking new home or townhouse (nothing against those houses, I've just done it before).

Old 12-15-2015, 02:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnard7 View Post
Great advice! I'll have to look into Holly Springs as well. I see you were from Palm Beach...I grew up near Fort Lauderdale, so I DO know what you're talking about!

It's not that I'm upset about urban sprawl. I understand that if it didn't happen, I couldn't move there if the population grew without additional housing. I just hope it's an area with a structured growth plan, I guess. I hope for the small-town feel with large-town amenities near by.
Its not.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Uppidy (sic)!

LOL.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times
I don't want to sound critical because I do like living here; however, of all the areas in the country you could have chosen you seem to have set your sights on one that is having exactly the very issues you want to avoid.

The growth rate here is one of the highest in the country. The town governments are doing their best to control it but in the end this entire area is one giant suburb and it would be beyond charitable to describe it as anything except suburban sprawl. The housing marking here is very hot with prices (and tax assessments) rising. Many parts of the area, including Cary/Apex/Holly Springs, have outgrown their infrastructure and it's showing.

All that being said, it is a nice place to live. My family has lived a number of places in the last twenty years and Wake County is one of our three favorite places we've lived.

But of all the places in the country to chose from... if you want to avoid growth, sprawl, rising prices, and growing congestion, this is really not the place.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:52 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
45k and they saying 95k people in the next 15 years. Its going to be a nightmare trying to get anywhere in Apex. Already maxed out.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
I don't want to sound critical because I do like living here; however, of all the areas in the country you could have chosen you seem to have set your sights on one that is having exactly the very issues you want to avoid.

The growth rate here is one of the highest in the country. The town governments are doing their best to control it but in the end this entire area is one giant suburb and it would be beyond charitable to describe it as anything except suburban sprawl. The housing marking here is very hot with prices (and tax assessments) rising. Many parts of the area, including Cary/Apex/Holly Springs, have outgrown their infrastructure and it's showing.

All that being said, it is a nice place to live. My family has lived a number of places in the last twenty years and Wake County is one of our three favorite places we've lived.

But of all the places in the country to chose from... if you want to avoid growth, sprawl, rising prices, and growing congestion, this is really not the place.
I appreciate the honesty- have you felt like your community is closing in on you (more people at the stores, on roadways, at the parks, etc.)? Is there a place just outside these areas that may pertain to us? I don't mind the growth as long as it doesn't completely wash over us like a tsunami.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:22 AM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
45k and they saying 95k people in the next 15 years. Its going to be a nightmare trying to get anywhere in Apex. Already maxed out.
When we moved to Holly Springs the population was around 12k, it's now about 30k and they are expecting it to be 50k within the next 5 years. Houses in the 200k-250k range are sold within hours with multiple offers. We sold our house in June, went on the market 5pm Sunday night and we had a contract by 8pm Monday night. This included 3 rounds of back & forth negotiations.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:25 AM

Okay, so Apex and Holly Springs are growing fast. What about Cary? I know it's "maxed out" but that should mean that what's there stays there, correct? Sort of at equilibrium? How would you compare west Cary to Apex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary