Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 05:03 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith713 View Post
Another big difference and one reason I prefer mossberg is that on an 870 the ejector is riveted to the frame. If that breaks, it needs to go back to Remington. On a mossberg, the ejector is held in with a screw/bolt so installation and repair is done within minutes. I have a 590A1 that I love and is an absolute tank, little heavier based on the thicker barrel as well as the trigger guard being steel.

I was mistaken. It's been so long since I bought the gun that I was referring to with the thumb safety. It's a Savage Westpoint model 167, Not a Mossberg. Plain Jane and has a very used look. I was my own pusher for small game so it's taken a beating. Very inexpensive gun at the time (1980), very rugged and dependable.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 PM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I was mistaken. It's been so long since I bought the gun that I was referring to with the thumb safety. It's a Savage Westpoint model 167, Not a Mossberg. Plain Jane and has a very used look. I was my own pusher for small game so it's taken a beating. Very inexpensive gun at the time (1980), very rugged and dependable.
I believe your statement was correct, the thumb safety on the mossberg is on the top versus on the trigger guard. I was just stating another reason I prefer mossberg, the ability to easily replace parts myself versus having send to the factory.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:

Shotguns are great but not something that can safely be stored nearby for emergencies if you have kids. A small handgun safe with a fingerprint reader can be an option for safety.
Sure they can. I have mine mounted to the wall behind the door.

https://www.shotlock.com/ShotLock_Shotgun.php

Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I did the class at the Wake County Fire Arms center. It's was an entire day and a little bit of shooting. It's a pretty nice place to go pop off a few rounds.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
The 870 is a nice gun but with one drawback: the safety. It's on the rear of the trigger guard. I have an old cheapie mossberg that has a top thumb safety. I was able to raise up and release the safety quick enough to line up shots on grouse. Had I been walking with my 870 I would have never hit a bird. It was used for slugs/deer. Should a shotgun be your choice of arms, consider the safety mechanism before buying. The thumb safety's are quieter as well.
That is the exact reason I went with a Mossberg model, the 930 to be exact.

I looked at the Remington (and my grandfather had a long barreled "non-express" one too) but just couldn't get over the safety mechanism. As someone who doesn't use a gun very often at all, I wanted a simple brainless "forward is armed, back is disarmed" mechanism.

I bought a Mossberg 930, which is the semi-auto version of the 500. I wanted semi-auto because I just wanted to pull the trigger, not have to worry about short stroking the reloading mechanism under stress. Another benefit of the semi-auto guns is a lot less recoil, because the reloading mechanism uses recoil from the shell to eject it and advance the next one.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:22 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
Sorry, but I disagree that a handgun and an AR-15 are better for home defense. True they hold more rounds, but you're more likely to hit your target with a shotgun. Buckshot or a slug is less likely to penetrate compared to a handgun, and especially an AR. An AR-15 will go through the walls of your house and probably your neighbors as well.
The whole "you don't need to aim a shotgun" thing is a myth. I've tested 12ga 00 buckshot before, and the spread was only a few inches at 20yd. This is an interesting read: The Box O' Truth #20 - Buckshot Patterns - The Box O' Truth

If you are shooting at something that's only a few feet away, any sort of firearm will only require point & shoot.

Also, AR-15 .223/5.56 rounds penetrate much less than handgun and shotgun rounds. After a piece of drywall or two, the rounds break up into fragments, which don't penetrate very well. This is also an interesting read: .223 Drywall Penetration: Results

Old 12-19-2015, 12:09 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Thanks for all the helpful CCW tips.

May stop at the local gun show this weekend at fairgrounds and look for my 1st choice, Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard .38 Special Revolver w/ Crimson Trace® Integral Laser.
It's hammer-less (can't get caught-up in clothing) with a crimson laser I plan to zero in at 20 feet.
14 oz., unloaded.

Wife is also sort of interested, after seeing the response time for this holster demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xsVKJxYlYI

Old 12-19-2015, 12:17 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
Shotguns are great but are messy in a small area, damage to walls, etc difficult to control projectile path, etc. Also all should check the laws in your area regarding deadly force, etc.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:22 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Thanks for all the helpful CCW tips.

May stop at the local gun show this weekend at fairgrounds and look for my 1st choice, Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard .38 Special Revolver w/ Crimson Trace® Integral Laser.
It's hammer-less (can't get caught-up in clothing) with a crimson laser I plan to zero in at 20 feet.
14 oz., unloaded.

Wife is also sort of interested, after seeing the response time for this holster demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xsVKJxYlYI

Test shoot it before buying. When I took a basic handgun class someone had a .38. From what I remember no one could shoot it accurately. Short barrel, high bore axis and kick. Granted, they were using the iron sights. But, they could not get off several shots in a row and keep it on target at close range. You have military experience so you may not have issues. The same person having issues with the .38 tried a 9mm semi and said they were going to change.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:23 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Appreciate the remarks about the .38; I've had others tell me offline to be aware of any revolver's cylinder gap and keep fingers, eyes away from front of cylinder.

Will definitely "try before I buy" --and back in 1968-69 I was in a bit better physical shape!
and, we never wore any wussy ear protection! ;-)

Will probably take this class:
Training Classes Offered at the Firearms Education and Training Center

Google reviews of above are interesting!

Last edited by K4GPB; 12-19-2015 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary