Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:06 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I admit we hate 3D and rarely think paying for IMAX is worth the extra cost. But we go to the movies 2-3 times per week, and have visited the vast majority of theaters in the Triangle at least once.

We think the 'best' theater is the Raleigh Grande on Grove Barton Road. We always loved the place for showing so many indie movies. Now that they have renovated for 100% reclining seats, it's our absolute favorite for ANY movie. Nice menu of food at not unreasonable prices. And all they have done is raise the cost of a ticket by 50 cents on weekends!

Book in advance and get the seat of your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 PM

133 posts, read 331,292 times
I saw it at Frank's Cinebowl in Cary located in Parkside Commons....awesome experience. Reclining seats, full menu with service before the movie. Definitely check it out.

Also thought movie was fantastic!

Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
I saw it in plain-ole 2D and loved it.

Apparently there is a theater in Cary that has leather recliner seats.CinéBistro | Waverly Place - Cary NC

Old 12-31-2015, 01:28 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I saw it in plain-ole 2D and loved it.

Apparently there is a theater in Cary that has leather recliner seats.CinéBistro | Waverly Place - Cary NC
Yes, but they cost a lot more. And so does the food.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:55 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Raleigh Grande is a great theater after recent updates. Movie is top notch, 5/5 stars.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:20 PM

454 posts, read 495,262 times
I saw it first at the usual Park West for $5 matinee and it was just fine - about 10 people altogether. I went a second time on Christmas Eve with my family at Cinebistro and it was great! I've never been to a dine 'n recline theater before. Yes, it was more expensive but the food and cocktails were pretty good and it was over 21. The chairs were huge and each set of two was really well separated from the others. For this movie and on Christmas Eve, it was definitely worth the expense.

BTW, I'm a Star Wars geek and loved it. My family, however, aren't geeks but they still thought it was really good.

Do a ton of kids go to the Cinebowl in Cary?

Old 12-31-2015, 04:51 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
When did Raleigh Grande renovate? I remember seeing Fast 7 around May or June as my first movie at RG and it struck me as a dinky and slightly run down old theater.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Are you guys watching the same movie I did? I dunno it's the same movies from the past just with a couple of new characters (who can't act). Same basic "plot line" (I use that term loosely). Same circumstantial "walk over here find this, walk over here and find this" type scenes. It's like those chase scenes where the characters know exactly which way to turn, which alley to go down, without seeing where the guy went...

It's basically where the Xmen franchise has gone (and now gotten stale). On their own the movies may be OK but the same stuff just keeps happening. Over. And over. Yawn.

I'm NOT a huge fan of the Hunger Games movies but at least the movies each moved the series forward with new developments. I haven't seen the newest one though.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
^ One in a million. I bet you went in expecting it to suck, and got what you expected. It's an outstanding film, well made, well acted, and greatly supported by outstanding numbers. Your review is by far the minority view. We got it.....you didn't like it. Thanks.

Raleigh Grande closed for a few months this year, and renovated. It's a great environment now. They only reopened very recently.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:47 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
We saw it at Beaver Creek last week and then my kids went again with their cousins this week at Park West (Star Wars geeks). We don't do 3D. I enjoyed it, hard to believe my youngest is the same age I was when the original came out.

As far as the movie itself, it's hardly meant to be high brow - brought back a lot of memories for me and my kids thought it was awesome. It's amazing to me the original cast was able to make appearances all these years later. I also loved how the audience applauded when the movie started. Good clean fun, a rarity nowadays and a rare connection between generations of the same movie franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary