Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:05 PM

169 posts, read 340,670 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will have one day free time on a business trip to the Triangle (happening next week) and want to check out the area as a potential future place to relocate. I am NOT looking for what most people are looking for...

I am single so could care less about a good school district, but DO care about a safe neighborhood.

No pets, so I don't need a big yard, I have one now and it's too much maintenance

As I am not married, no kids and no pets I don't need a big space though not interested in condos or townhomes, want a single family home

Love vintage homes no newer than 1950s

Small home (my current home is less than 800 sq ft) = small budget. I want to stay around the 100k price range (yes can do a fixer) and one real estate agent rudely told me it wasn't possible, I suspect she just wanted to work with clients with big pockets looking for McMansions and so I wasn't worth her time. Are there pocket neighborhoods where my price range is doable?

My biggest requirement are neighborhoods that are either walkable to grocery/farmers market, pharmacy, and restaurants (don't care about bars) or can get to daily needs via public transportation. I know Chapel Hill has a good bus service due to students and suspect Durham and Raleigh probably do too.

I currently don't have a pref between the 3 Triangle cities, just want names of some specific neighborhoods to drive around while there.

Thanks for helping with this time sensitive request!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Hello,

I will have one day free time on a business trip to the Triangle (happening next week) and want to check out the area as a potential future place to relocate. I am NOT looking for what most people are looking for...

I am single so could care less about a good school district, but DO care about a safe neighborhood.

No pets, so I don't need a big yard, I have one now and it's too much maintenance

As I am not married, no kids and no pets I don't need a big space though not interested in condos or townhomes, want a single family home

Love vintage homes no newer than 1950s

Small home (my current home is less than 800 sq ft) = small budget. I want to stay around the 100k price range (yes can do a fixer) and one real estate agent rudely told me it wasn't possible, I suspect she just wanted to work with clients with big pockets looking for McMansions and so I wasn't worth her time. Are there pocket neighborhoods where my price range is doable?

My biggest requirement are neighborhoods that are either walkable to grocery/farmers market, pharmacy, and restaurants (don't care about bars) or can get to daily needs via public transportation. I know Chapel Hill has a good bus service due to students and suspect Durham and Raleigh probably do too.

I currently don't have a pref between the 3 Triangle cities, just want names of some specific neighborhoods to drive around while there.

Thanks for helping with this time sensitive request!
The realtor was correct, sorry. Older, safe, walkable neighborhoods are very desirable and thus costly.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 01-04-2016 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 PM

152 posts, read 366,745 times
On that budget, try Indianapolis.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:29 PM

527 posts, read 686,702 times
The budget's a little tight - have you considered leasing? We lived in a cute condo off of the corner of Glenwood and Peace for about $995/month about 2 years ago. I was so sad to leave that condo, but it was a little cramped for us and the cat.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:50 PM

369 posts, read 460,125 times
Not in a downtown area but you could definitely walk to the Harris Teeter shopping center at the intersection of Buck Jones and Jones Franklin. There is public transportation and you aren't too far from the ncsu area & downtown Raleigh.

152 Jones Franklin Road, Raleigh, NC For Sale | Trulia.com

It needs a lot of work but it is listed at 69k. Built in the 1930s.

You could also try the 27610 zipcode. Homes available in your price range.

You should also look into Durham, but I'll leave that up to other posters who actually live there.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Definitely little if anything in Chapel Hill in that price range. Look in Durham.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:55 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
I think at that price you're out of luck in Durham, too, as safe is also a requirement

Look around Durham anyway, but Durham is too popular for that price in a safe and walkable neighborhood.

Where will you be working?

I don't usually suggest this town, but, take a look at Smithfield near downtown. Nope, not technically part of the triangle...is east of Raleigh, but a cute, walkable downtown and just far enough away to have single family older homes in your price range. It's a pretty conservative town, doesn't get many transplants I think. Worth a look at least online. But may be too far away.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:22 PM

215 posts, read 370,927 times
Smithfield is definitely a good suggestion, but what about Clayton NC, a little closer to Raleigh? There are a few smaller homes in town that would fit. The neighborhoods are safe too, but I think you may have a chance to find something there.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M65703-86945
This one is cute. And it's near downtown.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:09 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Are you still considering Winston-Salem? I think on that budget, you would find what you are looking for there and be quite happy. Your money goes so much further there. $100K in the Triangle doesn't get your much if you rule out condos.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
The realtor was not being rude, just realistic. Have you actually looked into the typical prices for this area?

Most of the pre-1950 homes around here are either way out in the country (= not "walkable") or Inside the Beltline in Historic areas (= $$$) or in less-than-safe neighborhoods. $100K for a detached home is not something you'll likely find that's near anything in the urban part of the Triangle--look in smaller towns like Knightdale, etc.

You may not be aware how "hot" the real estate is in this market, which means people can ask for higher prices and get them. $100K wasn't realistic 10 years ago, definitely not now, without sacrificing some of the desires on your list.

If you don't care about schools, Durham is probably your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary