Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not a fan.

Maybe after someone spruces up the Capital Blvd corridor as it gentrifies...
Most cities have dozens of corridors that look exactly like Capital Blvd.

80% of Los Angeles looks like Capital.

I grew up in Louisburg and I kinda like Capital, especially at night. It looks like you're in a city.

Rolesville is a missed opportunity.

They should start building a grid of walkable streets and blocks at the main interesection by the crappy furniture store NOW!

It's not too late.

The new housing developments seem to be on the cheap side.

A strong city effort of maintenance and beautification can keep the area from going downhill over the next 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 03:00 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
My personal opinion at the moment is that Rolesville is just a little too far (without a major highway like Clayton) to be a desirable area at the moment - maybe in a few years (at the rate the area is changing) but for now it's just a little too far off from the major employment centers to be as relevant as it could be.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
My personal opinion at the moment is that Rolesville is just a little too far (without a major highway like Clayton) to be a desirable area at the moment - maybe in a few years (at the rate the area is changing) but for now it's just a little too far off from the major employment centers to be as relevant as it could be.
I agree. NE Raleigh is affordable because it's so far away from the higher paying jobs areas. My wife used to work over in RTP (still does sorta but remote) and it was normal for her to drive an hour a day with the rush hour traffic. That just isn't sustainable. I've driven to the airport at 8AM and traffic on 540 is ridiculous at least compared to what I'm used to.

It's just not a high appreciation area. Unless they build RTP #2 in Wake Forest I don't foresee any major price movement and therefore gentrification in the area.

We have lived in the area since 2008 and it has served its purpose (cheap housing) but most middle-to-above-average income folks are leaving the area (I'll let you read into that what you will...). With lower-middle class people living there the area really won't improve much. Look at the difference between Briar Creek shopping centers and the ones along Louisburg Rd...

Old 10-11-2016, 03:12 PM

451 posts, read 1,914,091 times
Rolesville and Wake Forest are growing by leaps and bounds. Just look at the population stats on this website for the evidence.

I actually find Rolesville more convenient to downtown Raleigh than Wake Forest, just because you can take 401 all the way down. Of course, rush hour traffic is no fun, but it's like that all over the Triangle.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Most cities have dozens of corridors that look exactly like Capital Blvd.

80% of Los Angeles looks like Capital.

I grew up in Louisburg and I kinda like Capital, especially at night. It looks like you're in a city.

Rolesville is a missed opportunity.

They should start building a grid of walkable streets and blocks at the main interesection by the crappy furniture store NOW!

It's not too late.

The new housing developments seem to be on the cheap side.

A strong city effort of maintenance and beautification can keep the area from going downhill over the next 30 years.
Capital used to be prettier.

It does look like a gritty road in a larger city now.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:46 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
No.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Technically a subjective question. I'm sure there are people that live in Rolesville and love it. It is not a "desirable" area in economic terms; which is why housing is more affordable there than in most other areas of the Triangle. It doesn't have high crime and is mostly well-kept neighborhoods. Not the investment that Western Wake County is and won't be attracting a lot of high-end retail anytime soon.... but not a place you are going to feel unsafe or see a lot of foreclosures/rentals etc.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:04 AM

41 posts, read 92,139 times
Being part-timers for 8 years and finally full time retired and not having to worry about a commute or schools we
decided on a new home build in Carlton Pointe in Rolesville, with 4 semi-custom builders available.
Grandkids and shopping in Wake Forest just a few minutes down the road.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:52 AM

326 posts, read 384,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSGnow View Post
What's the latest on Rolesville? I know there are drawbacks such as location/commute to RTP or RDU but I can deal with that to have a little space around me. Also, how does this compare to the Pittsboro area?

thanks.
We just bought a new house this summer and were looking in 2 primary areas: 1) the area between Pittsboro and CH (around 15-501), and 2) North Raleigh/WF/Rolesville. I work in RTP and we ended up ruling out WF/Rolesville due to the awful commute. We bought right along the Orange county/Chatham county border on the Chatham side and love it; there's lots of land/housing options in that area with 1 to 5 acres of land. It's quiet but still super convenient to both downtown Pittsboro and downtown CH and isn't too bad to get to Durham. Plus, getting to RTP or the airport is a little easier than I was anticipating, though I'm on the road 30-60 minutes before peak traffic. I'll admit getting to downtown Raleigh from there is a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Unless they build RTP #2 in Wake Forest I don't foresee any major price movement and therefore gentrification in the area.
Funny enough, that's what Jim Goodnight is trying to do in Pittsboro with Chatham Park (though CP will have retail and housing, too, which RTP does not). Who knows if CP will be successful, but that's a topic for another thread.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
In this area, there is a different in living IN Rolesville and just having a Rolesville ADDRESS.

Parts of Heritage (very desirable) are listed as having a Rolesville address.

With Wake Forest growing in leaps and bounds, Rolesville IS becoming a desirable area to live in.

I've seen prices of homes go up significantly. But you do get more house compared to Wake Forest. Just like you get more house in Holly Springs compared to Cary and Apex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary