Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM

133 posts, read 331,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Being able to go home for lunch is definitely key. But that has nothing to do with requiring that every amenity on earth is available within a <5 minute drive of your house

That's exactly it....and is what I observe. A lot of people want everything to be right down the street and if that is the case - great....you can find a home within 5 min of all the things that are important to you in plenty of place around the Triangle.

What I get a kick out of is how people have a lack of adventure. I don't mean climbing mountains and or jumping out of airplanes - I mean driving 10 extra minutes just to check out a restaurant or do something they don't normally do or to just explore somewhere they've never been.

I used the example on another thread about a neighbor of mine who has live in my neighborhood longer than I have and has never been to Apex Center....like hasn't even driven down Salem Street. We live 10-15 minutes from there!!

I guess people get caught up in their routines and comfort zones but I come across this type of thing all the time.

Bottom line is that you can't have it all in terms of where you choose to live. If you want to be close to shops, restaurants, dry cleaners, entertainment, grocery stores, etc; move to low density "live-work-play" type setting or move to the city.

If you want a house with some space and a yard and a quieter, family type neighborhood, near your kid's school, without planes flying overhead and a neighborhood pool, then you have to understand all of those things won't be right around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Being able to go home for lunch is definitely key. But that has nothing to do with requiring that every amenity on earth is available within a <5 minute drive of your house

I do get though that it's a matter of what you're used to. We came from a place where everything was a 20-30 minute drive. Now 20 minutes seems long. And that's a great thing.
We first lived in Durham, when moving down. We could literally walk to work in RTP. It was only a 3 minute car ride to our work at the same place. Then we moved to, what at one time was considered the east part of west Cary, and our commute to work grew to 15 minutes. Then we moved to Fuquay-Varina and the commute to RTP was 25 minutes (30-35 minutes to our work). I guess we did it the opposite, BUT no matter where we lived, we had things we needed close by. One of the great things about the area is that they have one of everything at every corner. It's not like it was up in western MA, where we had to drive 45-60 minutes for shopping.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
Quote:

I do get though that it's a matter of what you're used to. We came from a place where everything was a 20-30 minute drive. Now 20 minutes seems long. And that's a great thing.
According to CityData the 2013 estimated population of Zip code 27519 was 41,366 and I guess is probably around 50,000 now. //www.city-data.com/zips/27519.html

Also, according to CityData the estimated population of Holly Springs in 2013 was 28,915 and is probably 35,000 now //www.city-data.com/city/Holly-...-Carolina.html

Just compare the retail & commercial facilities available in Holly Springs compared to virtually nothing in West Cary and you will begin to understand the issue. West of NC55 there is ONE Harris Teeter grocery store with zero competition, NO gas station, NO auto repair, NO tire service, NO decent restaurant, NO retail shops, etc, etc, etc .... For virtually every service the 45,000 West Cary residents have to make that 'long 20 minute drive' that you mentioned. Oh, by the way I didn't mention the obligatory 3 banks adjacent to each other or the CVS and Walgrens 100 yards apart as they are on every street corner in the Triangle anayways.

The attached picture of the original Yates Store on Yates Store Road is the closest competition that the Cary Park Town Center Harris Teeter has to worry about, and is the nearest 'Store' for thousands of West Cary residents. Fortunately for HT they only sell firewood these days. Perhaps the Town of Cary Officials and Mayor Weinbrecht need to get out more to understand how badly served the 45,000 West Cary residents are as they impose planning restrictions (not applied elsewhere in Cary) that unnecessarily delay key commercial developments that would enhance the daily lives of the people they are supposed to represent.
Attached Thumbnails
Should West Cary break away from Town of Cary?-img_0699.jpg  

Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
According to CityData the 2013 estimated population of Zip code 27519 was 41,366 and I guess is probably around 50,000 now. //www.city-data.com/zips/27519.html

Also, according to CityData the estimated population of Holly Springs in 2013 was 28,915 and is probably 35,000 now //www.city-data.com/city/Holly-...-Carolina.html

Just compare the retail & commercial facilities available in Holly Springs compared to virtually nothing in West Cary and you will begin to understand the issue. West of NC55 there is ONE Harris Teeter grocery store with zero competition, NO gas station, NO auto repair, NO tire service, NO decent restaurant, NO retail shops, etc, etc, etc .... For virtually every service the 45,000 West Cary residents have to make that 'long 20 minute drive' that you mentioned. Oh, by the way I didn't mention the obligatory 3 banks adjacent to each other or the CVS and Walgrens 100 yards apart as they are on every street corner in the Triangle anayways.

The attached picture of the original Yates Store on Yates Store Road is the closest competition that the Cary Park Town Center Harris Teeter has to worry about, and is the nearest 'Store' for thousands of West Cary residents. Fortunately for HT they only sell firewood these days. Perhaps the Town of Cary Officials and Mayor Weinbrecht need to get out more to understand how badly served the 45,000 West Cary residents are as they impose planning restrictions (not applied elsewhere in Cary) that unnecessarily delay key commercial developments that would enhance the daily lives of the people they are supposed to represent.
Yes but wasn't there recently a thread about opposition to a new commercial project that would have been competition to Cary Park Town Center. Those opposing it lived in West Cary near Cary Park if I remember correctly.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:

Using Amberly as a West Cary point, Google maps shows Parkside Commons at 6 minutes away. Even Beaver Creek in Apex is only 14 minutes. Davis Drive retail is 12 minutes.

20 minutes will practically get you to Chapel Hill.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:

I do agree with the lack of commercial development. Everytime I drive out 55 I wonder why the hell anyone chooses to live out there, It feels like the end of the earth to me! Hope you get a few new stores and services!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:

Are you equating 27519 to West Cary? Because I live in 27519 and am within a 5 minute drive of two Targets, three movie theaters, one Publix, four Harris Teeters, a Food Lion, two Walmart grocery stores, three or four auto repair/tire service places, too many restaurants to count and three gas stations. If I expand that drive to 10-15 minutes, I can add in everything at Beaver Creek.

Before you blame the Town of Cary officials for the lack of commercial development in your backyard, blame your neighbors. I've seen numerous petitions from residents of Amberly and Cary Park who all apparently wanted the development to stop immediately after they moved in.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Are you equating 27519 to West Cary? Because I live in 27519 and am within a 5 minute drive of two Targets, three movie theaters, one Publix, four Harris Teeters, a Food Lion, two Walmart grocery stores, three or four auto repair/tire service places, too many restaurants to count and three gas stations. If I expand that drive to 10-15 minutes, I can add in everything at Beaver Creek.

Before you blame the Town of Cary officials for the lack of commercial development in your backyard, blame your neighbors. I've seen numerous petitions from residents of Amberly and Cary Park who all apparently wanted the development to stop immediately after they moved in.
Funny how that happens. I got mine, now let's shut it down. Same thing happens in an area over in Raleigh, off Capital BLVD, I believe. They want impact fees retroactively paid over there.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:12 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
It's also kind of a chicken/egg scenario. Commercial development needs a certain number of rooftops close by. Many people don't want to live too far away from convenient commercial development. Much of the residential development in that area really started coming on line at a time, while due to the financial crisis, it was very hard to get financing for anything, including commercial or mixed use development, but since the housing was planned before that it was steadily increasing. Now that things have been going again in commercial for a few years, you are seeing these various projects being submitted, approved and built, so it will definitely get better over the next couple years. Assuming there is no mass revolt over the evil grocery stores attracting so many gangs of thieves to the area.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:50 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:

Just compare the retail & commercial facilities available in Holly Springs compared to virtually nothing in West Cary and you will begin to understand the issue.
Be careful what you wish for. You want the retail and commercial facilities, you can have them! We now need a bypass for the bypass.

I'm wondering which town has the most minimum wage jobs and/or fast food joints per capita. Holly Springs has to be up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary