Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 PM

363 posts, read 433,341 times

Advertisements

I have an Associate Degree in Computer IT from Wake Tech. I have a couple of Fs and Withdrawal on my transcript. I am supposed to get a new job where they will assist in college education. I was planning to go to NC State University for my computer science bachelor. I understand many credits will not transfer even though I have 20 more credits than the requirements to graduate.

I was planning to talk to the university this week. But I am wondering from your experience, will my Associate degree help me get into NC State University? Or will it do more harm since I have a number of the Fs and Ws? I really want NC State University but I understand it's hard to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Did you not attend WTCC under the college transfer program?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:52 PM

131 posts, read 144,887 times
Are you applying as a transfer, or a freshman?

Or are you asking whether you should apply as a transfer with some blemishes on your transcript vs starting over?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 PM

363 posts, read 433,341 times
No, I didn't do the 2 year transfer program. I am not sure how many or if any of my credits will transfer. For now I am wondering if I will be accepted. I've been told an Associate Degree will greatly increase my chances, I am just not sure since I have few Fs in my transcript.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times
You would have to check and see if the program calls for Calculus and Physics for Scientists and Engineers. If you have these courses, then they will transfer. NC State University is a good school, my son attended there, he is a systems analyst.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:07 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
You'll be basically starting off as a freshman. If you're not in a transfer program, virtually none of the courses will transfer as they're not at the more-advanced level needed in the computer science curriculum. Sorry.

There's a reason why the transfer programs exist, and this is why.

Everyone thinking about going to community college as a way of saving some cash and getting some prerequisites done should take this as a learning opportunity: if you want to go on to a 4-year school after CC, then make sure you're in a transfer program AND that the university you wish to attend will accept most of your credits.

Two, very important factors.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
You'll be basically starting off as a freshman. If you're not in a transfer program, virtually none of the courses will transfer as they're not at the more-advanced level needed in the computer science curriculum. Sorry.

There's a reason why the transfer programs exist, and this is why.

Everyone thinking about going to community college as a way of saving some cash and getting some prerequisites done should take this as a learning opportunity: if you want to go on to a 4-year school after CC, then make sure you're in a transfer program AND that the university you wish to attend will accept most of your credits.

Two, very important factors.
Yeah. The other issue is if you are not transferring but rather going in as a Freshman, you will probably need to take either the SAT or ACT and your high school GPA/AP's will still be a big factor when considering acceptance. So if those aren't much better than your transcript from WTCC; it could be rough.

ECU has a decent CS program and is generally much easier to get into; it might be worthwhile to look into that.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Why not go back to WTCC and enroll in college transfer this time?

You'd still get your degree from NCSU.

If you cannot get through college transfer without a decent GPA, college just might not be your thing. It isn't everybody's thing. And that's okay.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 AM

232 posts, read 553,280 times
Keep your appointment with the university. They'll be able to look at your transcript and give you accurate information. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Really, the university can tell you the answer better than any of us.

I would imagine that SOME of your classes will transfer, but perhaps not as many as you wish (based on what people say about the College Transfer track). Ask them if there are other classes you can take that will transfer, and go on and be knocking some of them out of the way before you get officially accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary