Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I agree the dad is probably crazy (and doesn't know how to spell), but what lesson are you referring to? Don't forget a juice box in your bag or else you could be groped for 2 minutes? Watch the video...it's excessive.

The kid actually seemed to be a good sport about it.
In the video, yes. But after the dad coached her, she then "knew" how traumatic it was for her, and thus was able to communicate it in the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:43 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
In the video, yes. But after the dad coached her, she then "knew" how traumatic it was for her, and thus was able to communicate it in the interview.
Agreed, I just saw the interview now.

By the way, here is the full, unedited video the dad posted to youtube. I think it might change some people's opinions if they hadn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q7XumVOIII

Old 01-08-2016, 06:53 AM

Video only proves that the father is an attention seeking, victim card player. I almost think he's putting up all the printed comments to detract from the fact that his daughter was NOT being groped. Agent was very careful.

If dad felt his daughter was being assaulted, why didn't he stop it? I know people are busy and all, but I know this: If I felt that my daughter was being assaulted, I'd stop it from happening. I would stand by, filming it, I'd stop it. If it meant I missed my flight, so-be-it. (More likely, it would have been escalated to a supervisor, and delt with.)

...and what does it have to do with anything that his relatives served our country? So did Beau Berdahl.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If dad felt his daughter was being assaulted, why didn't he stop it? I know people are busy and all, but I know this: If I felt that my daughter was being assaulted, I'd stop it from happening. I would stand by, filming it, I'd stop it. If it meant I missed my flight, so-be-it. (More likely, it would have been escalated to a supervisor, and delt with.)
I believe he claimed he was told he'd be arrested if he interfered.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:14 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
I just don't understand the cause here. OK, clearly a 10 year old girl is expected to drink juice boxes and clearly 10 year old girls don't pay attention to signs. Yes, she broke the rules, but that doesn't warrant a full pat down IMO.

Check the baggage more closely and maybe use a metal detector wand to check her body. But do you really have to run your hands over every single part of her body here? It's overkill, plain and simple.

Frankly, I'm glad that there are some people out there that are willing to bring up this issue. I probably would have shrugged it off and moved on.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I believe he claimed he was told he'd be arrested if he interfered.
He may have "claimed" that, but he had a video and it didn't show up on the video. Also, one may be arrested for "interferring", but if he would have stood up and said "Enough. Please stop the search, we are willing to wait until a more reasonable approach is used", then they would have stopped. If they didn't, THEN he could be loud about it and escalate, and it would have stopped.

More importantly, you can refuse the search, and just don't get granted access to the secure area. See link to TSA below. (It's dated 2012, but it's on their website, and he clearly had a smartphone, if he needed to refer to it....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I just don't understand the cause here. OK, clearly a 10 year old girl is expected to drink juice boxes and clearly 10 year old girls don't pay attention to signs. Yes, she broke the rules, but that doesn't warrant a full pat down IMO.

Check the baggage more closely and maybe use a metal detector wand to check her body. But do you really have to run your hands over every single part of her body here? It's overkill, plain and simple.

Frankly, I'm glad that there are some people out there that are willing to bring up this issue. I probably would have shrugged it off and moved on.
They serve juice on the plane, so that's a moot point. (and it's free). From everything told, the pat-down was not ONLY because of the juice-box. It had to do with:
-hands tested positive for explosives
-later (after the fact) so did luggage, and
-mostly, it seems from all evidence that dad escalated the situation in many ways, rather than either letting her be searched the same way everyone else is, or declining the search altogether and dealing with the consequences (which is in your rights).

Old 01-08-2016, 07:57 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Agreed, I just saw the interview now.

By the way, here is the full, unedited video the dad posted to youtube. I think it might change some people's opinions if they hadn't seen it.
You do realize he slowed down the video at certain spots? That's far from unedited.

Why can't you just show the raw footage? Oh because it wouldn't support whatever this clown is trying to do. I'd be more worried about this guy using his daughter for whatever point he's trying to prove (or more likely, monetary reasons), than this silly pat down. He's putting his poor daughter through a lot of unnecessary publicity over nothing.

If you thought your daughter was being touched inappropriately, the LAST thing you would do is post it on the internet for the entire world to see, nevermind put it into slow motion for dramatic affect.

Last edited by m378; 01-08-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 07:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post

Excellent post! Spot on.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:08 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
They serve juice on the plane, so that's a moot point. (and it's free). From everything told, the pat-down was not ONLY because of the juice-box. It had to do with:
-hands tested positive for explosives
-later (after the fact) so did luggage, and
-mostly, it seems from all evidence that dad escalated the situation in many ways, rather than either letting her be searched the same way everyone else is, or declining the search altogether and dealing with the consequences (which is in your rights).[/quote]

Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,608 times
Quote:
I've had pat downs as well but they usually last about 15 seconds. People accidentally leave drinks in their bags all the time, but I've never seen a patdown like this before.

The one thing that seems a bit fishy to me is that the dad started taping from the beginning...the fact that she was patted down was not excessive, the excessive part was how long it took and some of the "methods" of patting down. I wonder if that's actually what they're supposed to do and they don't usually do it (because people would probably rightfully complain) so that's what she did since she was being taped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Leads me to wonder if perhaps the agent recognized that the father was about to start taping the search and so conducted the screening by the book as best she could. If I was a TSA agent and I knew a video of me doing my job might go on youtube, I would make sure I was following my training.
I opted out of the body scan machines several times while traveling in 2015 (because of a medical condition; my doctor recommended the opt out) and subsequently went through pat downs at RDU (twice while leaving) and two other airports (coming home). This looks like the EXACT process I experienced so I have to agree the TSA was following the proper procedure.

They do ask you if you'd rather go into a private room for the pat down, and (if you noticed in the video) the TSA agent tells the person where they are going to touch next/what they are going to do before they do it. To me, it looked like the TSA agent was being gentle and trying to minimize the girl's embarrassment while still doing her job.

I am sorry the little girl was uncomfortable, but maybe the dad should have stopped video taping her uncomfortable experience and/or not shared it publicly to further prolong the girl's embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary