Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I am suddenly even happier that I only have a .08 acre lawn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Gotcha... I grey up in Virginia with a well, and understand there are times we had to cut back. I was just curious if anyone would get on me for power washing my house, or washing my car or something. My understanding is that wells are so shallow that they would likely go dry long before a major water supply ran out anyways. Not sure if that's accurate or not.
everyones well is different. I swear mine goes to the center of the earth. Never had one problem. We knew a guy on the other side of the neighborhood though, and he had to have his re-drilled- along with several other people.

But no one on our side has had any issue.

I get so mad when I see shiny clean cars, and I havent washed mine since spring! ohhh its soooo dirty!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
So when will the developer greed be stopped and no new customers permitted to join the water system?

Each family coming here from somewhere else adds new demand to the water system.

A moratorium on building would make good sense, but our elected officials are sold out to greed.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
everyones well is different. I swear mine goes to the center of the earth. Never had one problem. We knew a guy on the other side of the neighborhood though, and he had to have his re-drilled- along with several other people.

But no one on our side has had any issue.

I get so mad when I see shiny clean cars, and I havent washed mine since spring! ohhh its soooo dirty!
So if you have had no problems, why aren't you washing your car? I'm just curious if its to save water, or you just don't want to wash your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
So when will the developer greed be stopped and no new customers permitted to join the water system?

Each family coming here from somewhere else adds new demand to the water system.

A moratorium on building would make good sense, but our elected officials are sold out to greed.
Each family coming here isn't adding demand to the water system. Anyone buying an existing home is not adding to the problem, because someone moved out of the house that they are now occupying. I'm sure there are people moving out of the area too, and they leave vacant homes. We are moving in a month and we are buying and existing home.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,119 times
I too at first thought that stopping new construction would be the good thing to do in our current state. After thinking about it though I have realized that putting a halt to new construction would seriously hurt the local economy. Think about it, all the businesses (big and small) that are driven by the construction industry. Everything from the nail supply store to the local restaurants would fold up.
I think the smart thing to do at this point would be to put a rush on a new water supply, like a new lake that won't take 15 years to build.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
I would agree that stopping new construction would not be the answer to the water shortage. Just think what it will do to the local economy. It would put many people out of work and to what stay home and use even more water. All we can do is conserve and hope that our elected officials act in a responsible manor balancing growth with current water usage. IMO our economy is based on housing. No housing would have a severe effect on EVERYONE. Companies would not relocate here if they could not hire and attract new people. I think there are a few more levers our government could do to conserve water after that it maybe time to dust off the 'For Sale' sign and go find a place with more water.....

Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
I haven't thought through the stopping all new construction idea. So, I don't have a true opinion yet. But, wouldn't stopping new construction force transplant to purchase existing homes on the market? Are we still at the point where supply of resales exceeds buyers? I understand that empty resales on the market aren't using water. But, what about the people the sale allows to leave the area. And, how much water is involved in the construction of a home from start to finish? I don't have any statistics to backup anything, but there seems to be some conservation in at least a slow down in new construction.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
The solution is a massive government public works project to equalize distribution of water throughout the country the same way there's a national electric grid. Instead of going to Mars we could be siphoning water from the great lakes.

Start me up a Presidential campaign and I'll make that my running line! That and some universal healthcare for all citizens. As I get older I'm getting very frustrated that human health care is so capitalized in this country. But I don't want to detract from the water conversation which is the topic here.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 AM

354 posts, read 1,218,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
I think the smart thing to do at this point would be to put a rush on a new water supply, like a new lake that won't take 15 years to build.
It takes years to build up levels at a lake. Get used to the water restrictions as once you are in drought it takes years of over average rainfall to build it up to pre-drought water levels in the lake. Conservation is the only solution.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
So if you have had no problems, why aren't you washing your car? I'm just curious if its to save water, or you just don't want to wash your car.

Each family coming here isn't adding demand to the water system. Anyone buying an existing home is not adding to the problem, because someone moved out of the house that they are now occupying. I'm sure there are people moving out of the area too, and they leave vacant homes. We are moving in a month and we are buying and existing home.

Thank you for showing your ignorance to the plight of our region. Please do not move here.

We are in a DROUGHT. D-R-O-U-G-H-T. My well feeds into an underground stream of water somewhere, which also feeds into lakes, which supply people who have to pay for water. I do not worry about My well going dry- I do worry about the REGION (cause down here we try to care for our neighbors) running out of water or having it so that water is turned on during limited hours, which is coming- give it time and no rain and it will happen.

As far as the housing- if people moving did not want NEW NEW NEW homes they wouldn't be built. People (trying to) sell existing homes are usually moving within the area (many times to a NEW home), therefore still contributing to the uptake in water use. Look at the population statistics- it is going UP, not DOWN, not STAGNATE- UP UP UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary