Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times

Advertisements

It's called an oligopoly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 AM

260 posts, read 638,139 times
Read and follow Stop the Cap! Updated! How to Score a Better Deal From Time Warner Cable and Save Over $700 a Year: 2015 Edition •

Old 01-13-2016, 11:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've just started streaming via Netflix and SlingTV dumping Dish and their $65/month cable bill. I've had zero issues with the 15mb EarthLink service except for when TWC goes down and the speeds drop across the entire region. Super fast internet is overrated IMO.
Depending on what you use the Internet for, perhaps. I run a hosted development environment with real-time file synchronization and honestly, the recent speed bumps have been awesome for me. Also, Internet-based communications are clearly better with the higher speeds.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Depending on what you use the Internet for, perhaps. I run a hosted development environment with real-time file synchronization and honestly, the recent speed bumps have been awesome for me. Also, Internet-based communications are clearly better with the higher speeds.
Yes but to an average consumer the push towards "bigger faster better pricier" internet is not a worthwhile budget item. Just my $0.03.

I did receive an AT&T "special promotion" and in the fine print it listed maximum data consumption for a household line. If they start going to that I'm not sure what the cord cutters will do. At some point the government should step in, internet is now essentially a utility like water, electricity, etc.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:45 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Yes but to an average consumer the push towards "bigger faster better pricier" internet is not a worthwhile budget item. Just my $0.03.

I did receive an AT&T "special promotion" and in the fine print it listed maximum data consumption for a household line. If they start going to that I'm not sure what the cord cutters will do. At some point the government should step in, internet is now essentially a utility like water, electricity, etc.
Cord cutting and essential utility seem to be a bit, uh, "disconnected..."
"Gotta have my Big Brother?"

Old 01-13-2016, 03:58 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Cord cutting and essential utility seem to be a bit, uh, "disconnected..."
"Gotta have my Big Brother?"
How so?

Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Everyone remain calm, the end is almost here. Everywhere I go these days those awesome yellow tubes are being buried alongside roadways which heralds the end of TWC and welcomes in Google Fiber.

Let TWC enjoy their last days of glory, pay them their ransom, for once the end comes, justice will be served.

Oh and I pay $80 per month for their highest speed, which for the most part is pretty good.
I'm sure Google will be looking to recover theirs costs for installing the fiber infrastructure...which means costs could be even higher than TWC for most consumers.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:

Ah, yes. That always fixes things.

My vote is for Al Gore to fix it, seeing how he invented it.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 AM

307 posts, read 377,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I'm sure Google will be looking to recover theirs costs for installing the fiber infrastructure...which means costs could be even higher than TWC for most consumers.
Google's prices so far have been the same in every market and they don't do the shady promotion things that TWC does. It's $70 per month for gigabit with free installation, $130 per month for tv + gigabit, or Free internet with a $300 install charge. Free internet is 5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:50 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Google is getting there money. Just maybe not from you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary