U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:32 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,265,710 times

Advertisements

Everyday at around 7.30am to past 9am, since after New Year's Day, there has been a very bad back-up/slow-down of traffic on 40 east past 540, starting at Aviation Parkway and it goes all the way past Harrison avenue and to the 40/Wade avenue split. Now before, there was still trafffic, but nothing like this. Every morning, it's been mostly red and yellow on Google Maps Traffic. It isn't really accidents either. Of course, there are accidents that are caused by the traffic, since people love go swerve in and out of traffic to get to the office 3 minutes earlier.

What is the deal with this new slowdown of traffic? I am aware that traffic will continue to build in this area, but we didn't just get that many new residents over Christmas break. And usually, the traffic on this stretch is usually on Westbound side, since everyone is going to RTP for work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:18 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,263,381 times
Maybe different work has started on the Fortify project? I looked at the website and couldn't find anything specific that would result in new delays since New Years, but it's a big project and the effects really ripple out far. Since you're travelling towards that work zone it'd be my best bet, but still might not account for the backup you're seeing.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 PM

8,649 posts, read 12,951,048 times
There's always backups there. It was just better over the holidays and went back to normal.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:12 PM

2,642 posts, read 3,784,339 times
It happens on 540 West too. People seem to lack common sense when driving around here...and that's all it is really. Too many people on their phones or doing other things besides focusing on their driving like they should be. People following too close so nobody can merge so everybody has to stop completely....I've seen days where traffic moves at 35-40MPH for miles on a major interstate highway where the speed limit is 70MPH....it's just stupid people causing most of the problems.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,265,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There's always backups there. It was just better over the holidays and went back to normal.
There are backups there, but nothing like what has been happening since New Year's Day. I would think it wouldn't happen everyday, but has been every single day. Even with back-ups and slowdowns, there were never red areas or slow-downs from all the way from Aviation to Wade Avenue. Usually it was right after Harrison avenue to Wade.

The Fortify project might be a reason like StAndroid mentioned, not sure.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:09 AM

2,456 posts, read 7,606,705 times
I don't drive that route anymore, but I seem to remember the rising sun creating glare problems at certain times of the year. It might be right before you arrive and you see the residual effect on traffic.

Besides merging traffic, I typically see congestion before uphill grades. Folks don't (or trucks can't) maintain their speed up the hill. A slower speed effectively reduces the capacity of the road causing backups.

Frank

Old 01-14-2016, 07:15 AM

1,434 posts, read 4,864,622 times
I drive this way around that time quite frequently and have for a couple years. I totally agree with your assessment. In fact, I was talking about it on Monday. My commute into downtown is markedly longer since the holidays ended.

Perhaps, frankpc is correct and the sun is slowing people down.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:22 AM

10,083 posts, read 6,860,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I drive this way around that time quite frequently and have for a couple years. I totally agree with your assessment. In fact, I was talking about it on Monday. My commute into downtown is markedly longer since the holidays ended.

Perhaps, frankpc is correct and the sun is slowing people down.
FWIW, it seems all traffic is worse in the AM since the holiday break. I don't drive that way anymore, but I do come in on Davis Drive around 6:45-7AM. It's not backed up, but it is MUCH more congested than before.

So something is up. (could be the sun on I-40, but that's not it on Davis at the time I'm driving). I think it's the trifecta of people back in work, school back in, and more people having jobs again... Maybe.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:23 AM

326 posts, read 338,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I don't drive that route anymore, but I seem to remember the rising sun creating glare problems at certain times of the year. It might be right before you arrive and you see the residual effect on traffic.
Frank
I was thinking this same thing. I don't drive that particular section I-40E but I know on other parts of I-40E the rising sun causes traffic to slow down and it's on different parts of the interstate during different times of the year as the time of sunrise changes.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 AM

690 posts, read 678,883 times
It might have something to do with the morning sun. Certainly not all mornings are sunny, but there are certain times of the year where the tilt of the earth puts the sun right at the crest of the hill at Harrison Ave as you're headed east on I40. It's literally blinding. Not sure if that's been the case these past two weeks (as I've not taken this route in the morning this year yet), but I do know that it can be a factor at certain times of the year. The worst of it might happen before the OP hits this patch in the morning, but I'm sure the residual effect (backed up traffic) lasts throughout the remaining morning rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary