Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:58 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,546,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
This is just my opinion or at least from what I am noticing. Raleigh seems to have all the bad things from the bigger cities like high rent, expensive, traffic. But, it's lacking the pros of the big cities like more entertainment, vibrant places, live concerts, more places open at night or more "lively". I know that it's not as bad and expensive as some of the bigger cities like up north, but I can see it going that route. I honestly can't picture Raleigh in 5-10 years from now. It might get more entertaining places, but in no way I can see it less crowded or more affordable.
Well we're not, say, Wilmington or Columbia, SC, but we're still reasonably priced save for a few modestly sized areas. When you say it's expensive I'm wondering how so. While groceries are a touch higher than where I once lived, almost everything else is cheaper, in some cases dramatically so.

And as for live concerts, that one warrants a big "Huh?!?". We have an endless stream of headline acts, the indy scene is hot and the local/amateur crowd exploding (we see bands all the time).

As for the 5-10 year projection, well I've been here for just short of a decade and can tell you that most of what's changed has been subtle and not earth shifting. I don't anticipate that changing significantly anytime soon save for the Cary/Apex area where they are building at a breakneck pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I agree.

Look at the lowlives that seem to be attracted here now. Sheriff just added drug agents because this area was now a major distribution point.

Many more serious crimes like the murder of the pawnbroker in Mini-City.

Growth sucks. Raleigh was so much better years ago.
Crime hasn't spiked in the Triangle, it's grown organically with the population (I've read a few reports recently). And illegal drug use is at an all time high everywhere in the United States, not just here.

I get why you dislike growth and expansion, I hate when a way of life is forced to change when it seems perfect as is. But that's life everywhere, not just here. I was recalling recently how much easier it was to shut down at the end of a day because if you weren't into old reruns or Johnny Carson on television you would read until you fell asleep, almost always at a decent hour. Now there's something to do or read 24x7. And after living here for as long as I have, I too can lament all the growth. But I'm proud that I'm living some place that's still clearly a better option than most other places and continues to grow and mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 AM

128 posts, read 150,511 times
Quote:
I agree.

Look at the lowlives that seem to be attracted here now. Sheriff just added drug agents because this area was now a major distribution point.

Many more serious crimes like the murder of the pawnbroker in Mini-City.

Growth sucks. Raleigh was so much better years ago.
I agree. It has peaked. Downtown used to be a good place to go. Then parking was no longer free and several of the established places closed. Now it's just more traffic. North Hills was good now over built and jammed up. Same for Cameron Village.
Raleigh and the surrounding area added some great new places and amenities. In recent years it's just adding traffic and subdivisions.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 AM

5,778 posts, read 6,826,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
How many years ago? The year before or after you added to the growth in Raleigh? Just curious on the timeline.
I got here in '83. It is everyone that came after me that is the problem !

Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM

701 posts, read 774,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hey!
Don't let him go until he pays his impact fees. In arrears, with interest.
His impact fees are obviously subsumed into the rent he pays to his landlord.

;-)

Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,828,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
LOL!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:44 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,085,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
I agree. It has peaked. Downtown used to be a good place to go. Then parking was no longer free and several of the established places closed. Now it's just more traffic. North Hills was good now over built and jammed up. Same for Cameron Village.
Raleigh and the surrounding area added some great new places and amenities. In recent years it's just adding traffic and subdivisions.
At least 1 member feels the way i do.

Overcrowding of North Hills has turned it into a piece of junk. With the new buildings the developer is putting up now thanks to a stupid, greedy city, nobody in their right mind who does not live there will want to shop there.

Harris-Teeter's parking is now getting jammed up while the folks are not visible in the store. Bruegger's is a nightmare thanks to their parking lot being taken away.

NJ is coming here to welcome its old population.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:44 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
^This is a recurring theme here on the forum.

Touché

Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 AM

2,838 posts, read 2,950,565 times
the safe places are too full

the not full places are full of racists

what's a transplant to do?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times
Quote:
At least 1 member feels the way i do.

Overcrowding of North Hills has turned it into a piece of junk....nobody in their right mind who does not live there will want to shop there.
I shop at that Target all the time and don't live in the area. I guess that I'm not in my right mind.

But seriously, beyond the destination shopping at North Hills, I'd suspect that nobody is going to drive the extra mile just to go to a 2 story Harris Teeter when they can grocery shop nearer to home.

Call me crazy (after all, I'm already not in my right mind) but I think that Raleigh keeps getting better and better overall.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:00 AM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
For all of you that think this area is too big. There are at least 80 other counties in the state without urban development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary