Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:40 PM

145 posts, read 160,059 times

Advertisements

Hi All

My wife and I will be relocating to the area later this spring. We both will be working with companies located in Raleigh and are making our first trip down to do some exploring of the area in a few weeks. We are from Manhattan and have lived in the city for 20 years. My wife has perfect vision, whereas I have cone rod dystrophy and am gradually losing my eyesight

What I am hoping for is some advice on locations in the area that would enable me to get around and do most things without having to use a car (ex. good schools, supermarket, bookstore, coffee shop, playground for daughter, public park for walking, gym ). I realize that moving to a new area will come with adjustments but am hoping to find a happy medium.

Although we will be working in Raleigh we are open to other areas nearby if it provides better "walkability". We will of course start our search in close proximity to where our jobs will be; but living close to where I work isn't always equivalent with convenience when the work day is done (plus it can sometimes feel like you are never off).

Thanks in advance for your time attention and any thoughts or suggestions you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 02:44 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
You mentioned you will be working in Raleigh, what part, will you be working in Downtown Raleigh?

Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Whats your housing budget? Detached house, condo? Rent an apartment?

Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Cameron Village is very walkable and has all of the things on your list, oops, not a bookstore but a great public library. Grocery store, YMCA, coffee shops, parks, great schools. The crosswalks all have the audio prompts. I have seen many visually impaired people with white canes negotiating the neighborhood.

There are apartments, townhouses and single family homes for rent or sale constantly. Housing is not cheap relative to other areas of Raleigh...but IMHO there is not a more walkable neighborhood in Wake County. I guess if you are coming from Manhattan the housing will seem like a great Bargain!!!!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 PM

145 posts, read 160,059 times
Hi Sal_M -I am told my wife company is located in the North east section of Raleigh, My job will be right in the downtown area.

Hi CarolinaDawg2 - We are looking for a 2 bedroom (maybe 3 if we find the right place ) our budget is in the $1800 - $2500 per month range. We were figuring we should rent first to get to really know the area; but if we came across the right place we would be able to buy in the $300,00 - to $500,000 price range. We are open to the different options in terms of type of housing (detached, Condo, apartment) but we want to be sure it is a community hat would be good for our daughter. Past experience has shown us that it important to ask about this. In NY some apartments, condos, and townhouse communities can be difficult in terms of children playing. Some communities just have more elderly that do not want kids running around on the one hand, and on the there some places that serve young professionals may have late night activity that could be problematic for young kids as well. Like anything else it is a balancing act we have to take into account.

Hi Stagemomma - Thank you so much for the suggestion- We are going to get started looking at Cameron Village right away!

Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Cameron Village is very walkable and has all of the things on your list, oops, not a bookstore but a great public library. Grocery store, YMCA, coffee shops, parks, great schools. The crosswalks all have the audio prompts. I have seen many visually impaired people with white canes negotiating the neighborhood.

There are apartments, townhouses and single family homes for rent or sale constantly. Housing is not cheap relative to other areas of Raleigh...but IMHO there is not a more walkable neighborhood in Wake County. I guess if you are coming from Manhattan the housing will seem like a great Bargain!!!!
Yep, Cameron Village. There is never tons of inventory in the area, but there is some in your budget. You will have plenty of rental options.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:13 AM

514 posts, read 602,171 times
Cameron Village does seem a logical place to start.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
I also agree that Cameron Village is a great place to start, especially because most (if not all) of the crosswalks signals in the area are new-ish and thus have the additional features the older style ones don't that give auditory signals/information for those that are visually impaired.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:42 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
You will find options in your price range in Cameron Village. To me it seems that the new apartment buildings are mostly stocked with freshly graduated students and a lot of empty nesters starting over. The new building have pools so that might be a plus for your family.

There are plenty of children in the neighborhood as well (I work at the library so I see a cross section of the neighborhood).

You could easily take public transit from CV to downtown.

I live about 2 miles from CV, and my dream is to live closer...can't afford it right now.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:32 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Cameron Village was going to be my suggestion too and since you will be working in downtown then definitely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary