Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:54 AM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
Kind of both. If I could find a job before I move or if my job here move me then I would. But as for now, I am trying to have enough money saved up in order to move. I need to save enough money to last me 4-6 months in case I am unable to find a job that pays enough. The funny thing is I am not even sure where I want to go, I just need to experience a different life style since I lived in NC all my life.
Ok. Well I went from a small town in Pennsylvania to Chicago. It's the best decision I ever made. I have zero regrets. I didn't plan it. A friend of a friend was going for the summer and I went along. That said, if you have no idea where you want to go, how do you know if you'll be happy when you get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 01:46 PM

363 posts, read 433,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Ok. Well I went from a small town in Pennsylvania to Chicago. It's the best decision I ever made. I have zero regrets. I didn't plan it. A friend of a friend was going for the summer and I went along. That said, if you have no idea where you want to go, how do you know if you'll be happy when you get there?
It really comes down to 4 choices, either NY, DC, San Diego or Denver. I am mostly tempted to go to San Diego. I am not sure if I will like living in a bigger city, but I don't have to like it. I just want to experience it so that I don't have any regrets of not trying.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
It really comes down to 4 choices, either NY, DC, San Diego or Denver. I am mostly tempted to go to San Diego. I am not sure if I will like living in a bigger city, but I don't have to like it. I just want to experience it so that I don't have any regrets of not trying.
You might consider a long vacation of 3 or 4 weeks before you decide. That would give you time to look at the city, check out apartments, maybe even do some job interviews.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:23 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Go for it! I'd be miserable if I had only lived in 1 place forever.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:37 PM

149 posts, read 149,372 times
NYC, DC and San Diego all have high costs of living. You need to have a large income in order to afford a one bedroom apartment or even a studio. If you can afford it, great, if not, get a bunch of roommates or look at affordable cities.

Denver is up and coming. In a few years it won't be affordable because it will be overrun by hipsters. This would be my choice, if I were you.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:40 PM

San Diego is expensive, but has the advantage of great weather, no snow. Maybe even look at San Francisco but that can be cold and foggy.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 PM

149 posts, read 149,372 times
Quote:
San Diego is expensive, but has the advantage of great weather, no snow. Maybe even look at San Francisco but that can be cold and foggy.
San Francisco, my dream city, where I would live if I were either a millionaire, or thought that spending $1800 per month for a single room and eight roommates was a desirable way to live.

San Francisco is friggin' amazing, but you have to have serious money to live there in 2016, or a high tolerance for lots of other people in your living space.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginty74 View Post
San Francisco, my dream city, where I would live if I were either a millionaire, or thought that spending $1800 per month for a single room and eight roommates was a desirable way to live.

San Francisco is friggin' amazing, but you have to have serious money to live there in 2016, or a high tolerance for lots of other people in your living space.
If you never try, you'll never know. Have you explored other options like living in the cities around San Francisco, but still close enough to be in the city whenever you wanted?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
DC is a great place for perpetually single and kidless. It is very much the exalted norm here, and the cultural amenities are almost second to none. It's very much a 24/7 vibrant city now!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:58 PM

714 posts, read 721,817 times
Well I am 60 and widowed and moved here four weeks ago. The life the OP describes is what I was living in NJ. Oh, I had friends, most of them younger, and they were all about doing things with family and even extended family. One friend refused to do anything on Saturdays because she had to spend the day with her mother because her mother had no friends. A lot of them are raising kids and the weekends are taken up with sports and driving and whatever. Another wants to "be home for the kids" even though the kids are in their 20s and long past wanting to hang with Mom.

Some of my widow friends that I met in NJ are starting to pair off now. I looked at my life in NJ and thought, "Is this what it's going to be? Driving to work in traffic and then going out to breakfast or lunch occasionally when people can steal away?

Here's what I like about here that I didn't have in NJ -- there's music and theatre and political activism and TONS of volunteer opportunities. My neighbors are nice and there is a neighborhood book club. My sister is not far away and that helps but I do not see her more than once a week AT MOST.

I like being with people of all ages. Yes, the ones in their 30s and 40s are raising kids and tend to be insular. But in my experience, open-minded, fun people aren't excluded by young people. One of my friends in NJ 35 and she calls me "cool Mom". I have friends in their 60s and even 70s.

If you're unhappy, if you're constantly comparing this area to Boston, it's going to show. I've found rather late in life that if you're upbeat and positive, it's a lot easier to make friends. Try Meetup.com. Cultivate relationships with people you meet there. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary