Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That was actually the reason for the greeters. One Louisiana store had major problems with it. Sam went to visit a store, and saw the greeter. He inquired to the store manager who said he didn't want the menacing feel of a uniformed security guard to put off the majority honest customers, so he hired a friendly senior citizen that honest folks didn't think about but crooks saw as someone watching them.
Very true. I know several greeters. They are not permitted to make apprehensions but serve as deterrents well as a symbol of friendship to customers.

Many times, merchandise is saved when the greeter asks to see a receipt. Customer says they need to get it from someone, greeter says they will watch cart, customer never returns, merchandise is saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 AM

346 posts, read 339,193 times
I still don’t know how you all would be privy to the inventory dynamics of this WalMart. Always sounded like Durham bashing hyperbole. That area is not destitute.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Very true. I know several greeters. They are not permitted to make apprehensions but serve as deterrents well as a symbol of friendship to customers.

Many times, merchandise is saved when the greeter asks to see a receipt. Customer says they need to get it from someone, greeter says they will watch cart, customer never returns, merchandise is saved.
If I’m ever at a Walmart that pulls that crap, which thankfully inst too often, I walk on by. I’m not stopping to show my papers and there isn’t a thing they can do if you don’t.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 AM

163 posts, read 154,705 times
^Never understood this type of belligerent attitude when it helps everyone out in the long run, but to each their own.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If I’m ever at a Walmart that pulls that crap, which thankfully inst too often, I walk on by. I’m not stopping to show my papers and there isn’t a thing they can do if you don’t.
Do you shop at Costco or Sam's Club? Have to show them a receipt each time you have purchases.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Do you shop at Costco or Sam's Club? Have to show them a receipt each time you have purchases.
BJs but same thing. I also signed a membership agreement with them stating that I would let them look in order for me to be allowed to shop there.

I’m not stopping like a criminal in random stores. Sorry! And I’m not sure how it helps everyone out to stop law abiding citizens at the door. Concentrate on people stealing things amd stop them.

Though interestingly, BJs at Brier Creek did a trial of not having a receipt checker when they installed upgraded security. A few weeks later they were back. They said too much shrink.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:52 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Certainly it would. In the beginning of the struggle for passing the ACA, I remember there were threats against Walmart by union organizers to unionize their workers. It seemed the negative publicity stopped once the ACA was passed. I suppose they capitulated in some way to the political pressure.

I would also add that higher wages in China combined with increased online sales are putting the squeeze on their margins.. you know the old increased cost / decreasing revenue death spiral. .

Don't forget the competition with Costco too.
Total nonsense. If wages are rising-- not entirely sure it is-- it's not because of government it's because Durham is booming thus putting pressure on the labor market supply. The notion that an uptick in wages would affect a corporate behemoth like Walmart is laughable. The likely explanation for that store closing is simple: they didn't do their homework in building a store so close to an already existing Walmart nearby at New Hope Commons. I suspect Durham shoppers prefer to go to that one because they can also go to Marshalls, Michaels, Dick's, etc., while they are there.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
The reason I hate Walmart is their return policy of requiring you to have your receipt. At Target they can scan the credit/debit card you used to pull up the record of your purchase. With the possible exception of Amazon, Walmart has the most sophisticated inventory tracking and logistics system in the world, so why can't they deploy the same returns system as Target? Obviously, because they can to make it a PITA for you to return stuff.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
I was at Wal-Mart at New Hope Commons at lunch today (with about 1/3 of Durham) and they checked my receipt when I left the store. I only had a few items so it didn't take long. Friendly employee wished me a happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
I wasn't trying to 'bash Durham' when I said that the Walmart had theft problems. I even said that Hope Valley isn't a bad area and that I DON'T want to give Durham bashers any ammo. However, the area around the old Walmart does have a problem with theft.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 11-15-2017 at 05:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary