Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,512,119 times

Advertisements

I would pick Chapel Hill over N.Raleigh, Wake Forest and Cary. Having lived in N.Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham. Hey, JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM

6,310 posts, read 5,396,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I would pick Chapel Hill over N.Raleigh, Wake Forest and Cary. Having lived in N.Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham. Hey, JMO.
I would too after having grown up in N. Raleigh, Cary, and Apex....but everyone is different.

NYC2RDU has expressed distaste for CH before for some reason (appears to be based off southern village interestingly enough; probably the part of CH that most closely resembles N. Raleigh)

I agree a commute to DT Raleigh from CH would be awful but it sounds like this OP is getting a little ahead of herself anyways as they haven't even picked a metro area in NC yet or found any leads on jobs in what sounds like a very niche field.

More guidance and info can be given once there is more concrete plans for their move.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 PM

23 posts, read 21,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
I did not see much about your price range. Not to suggest it would be an issue for you but that often has much to do with where people end up.
Probably around $400k or so.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,826,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Funny, but my picks are in the exact opposite order. Of course, JMO also. The OP needs multiple visits really bad.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 PM

514 posts, read 599,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForAFreshStart View Post
Probably around $400k or so.
Then you have choices in all areas.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,195,270 times
I'm guessing you read that Chapel Hill schools are the best which is why you're targeting that area. As others have said, definitely need to come do some exploring.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:58 PM

The reality is if you want your kids to do well in school and that's a motivation for you.....your kids will probably do well in any school. Another perspective to consider is that if you want your kid to get into a good university; they actually stand a better chance if they aren't in one of the Triangle's "top dog" schools (Chapel Hill, East Chapel Hill, Green Hope, Panther Creek). Class rank actually plays a bigger role in college admissions than many people realize; if you are competing against 100 other kids with a 4.3 GPA at a "top performing" school....you have less of a chance of getting in than someone with a 3.8 which would be another standard deviation or two above the rest of the students at a ...gasp... "average" school.

Chapel Hill is still a much more dynamic town and has more of a pulse than Cary despite Cary being 3x the size IMO....but different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 3,507,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The reality is if you want your kids to do well in school and that's a motivation for you.....your kids will probably do well in any school. Another perspective to consider is that if you want your kid to get into a good university; they actually stand a better chance if they aren't in one of the Triangle's "top dog" schools (Chapel Hill, East Chapel Hill, Green Hope, Panther Creek). Class rank actually plays a bigger role in college admissions than many people realize; if you are competing against 100 other kids with a 4.3 GPA at a "top performing" school....you have less of a chance of getting in than someone with a 3.8 which would be another standard deviation or two above the rest of the students at a ...gasp... "average" school.

Chapel Hill is still a much more dynamic town and has more of a pulse than Cary despite Cary being 3x the size IMO....but different strokes for different folks.
This point cannot be stressed enough. My son's National Junior Honor Society class at Mills Park Middle (which feeds Panther Creek) had 118 people in it. All those people, plus other high performers will be competing for those same slots at the local universities. Living in Governors club and going to Northwoods High School in Chatham County may be a better solution, outside of the commute issues.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 AM

3,666 posts, read 6,545,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I would too after having grown up in N. Raleigh, Cary, and Apex....but everyone is different.

NYC2RDU has expressed distaste for CH before for some reason (appears to be based off southern village interestingly enough; probably the part of CH that most closely resembles N. Raleigh)

I agree a commute to DT Raleigh from CH would be awful but it sounds like this OP is getting a little ahead of herself anyways as they haven't even picked a metro area in NC yet or found any leads on jobs in what sounds like a very niche field.

More guidance and info can be given once there is more concrete plans for their move.
No need to guess why, unless you read a single thread where I focused on Southern Village (which, I assure you, is absolutely nothing like where I live).

Chapel Hill is a great area, but it's the only one which resembles the elitism I grew up with in New York in terms of areas such as Westchester County and the North Shore of Long Island. People who live there always tout how much better the schools are, and while that may be quantifiable, it's not as if Wake County schools are spewing out failures. But housing options are not better, retail options are not better, restaurants for the most part are not better and it's not any closer to RTP than from where I live. But it is more expensive, more than double in taxes than what I pay for a similarly configured property and approximately 30%-50% more in home values.

Thus my distaste. And it's also the only area where when people tell you they live there, they hesitate momentarily afterwards waiting for a reaction.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
No need to guess why, unless you read a single thread where I focused on Southern Village (which, I assure you, is absolutely nothing like where I live).

Chapel Hill is a great area, but it's the only one which resembles the elitism I grew up with in New York in terms of areas such as Westchester County and the North Shore of Long Island. People who live there always tout how much better the schools are, and while that may be quantifiable, it's not as if Wake County schools are spewing out failures. But housing options are not better, retail options are not better, restaurants for the most part are not better and it's not any closer to RTP than from where I live. But it is more expensive, more than double in taxes than what I pay for a similarly configured property and approximately 30%-50% more in home values.

Thus my distaste. And it's also the only area where when people tell you they live there, they hesitate momentarily afterwards waiting for a reaction.
Sounds like a lot of stereotyping..... (Granted we all do that)

I think the same could be applied to any "hot" areas of the Triangle.

In Cary; the "be impressed when I tell you where I live" is more applicable to the fancy-named subdivisions instead of the town as a whole "Oh, we live in Preston!".... "We just bought in Copperleaf!"...... "Amberly"

N. Raleigh....you've got Brier Creek, Bedford, Wakefield Plantaiton (that's gone the way of Lochmere and Preston in being "old" now though).

Obviously there are reasons one could prefer N Raleigh to CH....but suggesting that pretense about location is exclusive to Chapel Hill in the Triangle is......ridiculous.

The funniest/most ironic thing about the whole comparison to the NY metro area smugness you claim to find reminiscent in Chapel Hill is that transplants from NY make up a significantly larger proportion of the residents of the Western Wake burbs and N. Raleigh than they do Chapel Hill. It would be pretty naive to think that collectively they have all left that notion of "I'm impressive because I live in this town or this subdivision" behind in NY....no matter how much they claim that's why they all left. Countless posts and threads in this forum suggest otherwise.

20 years ago...yeah, I'd have said that Chapel Hill (along with northwest ITB) would have an edge in "smugness" in The Triangle. But the mass migration after the housing bubble was a game-changer IMO.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 01-18-2016 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary