Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:26 AM

595 posts, read 677,588 times

Advertisements

I am not affiliated with any political party but I am interested in voting in the primaries this year. I took a look at the NC BOE site and I was surprised to see it's a semi-closed system. I just wanted a sanity check from you good folks, since I've never lived in a state with a semi-closed primary. According to the site, I am able to vote in the primary without declaring a for a specific party. Am I reading that correctly?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,385,576 times
Yes, thats correct. if you are registered as unaffiliated, you may choose which party's (R, D, L) primary you wish to vote in.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,220 times
If you are non-affiliated, you can vote in the primary for any party, but you have to pick the party whose primary you want to vote in and are able to only vote in the primary races for that party.

That is, you can't vote in the republican primary for president and the democratic party for governor and the libertarian party for senator. You have to pick which one is most important to you.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:44 AM

595 posts, read 677,588 times
Thanks for clarifying!

Old 01-15-2016, 12:47 PM

230 posts, read 255,835 times
So, do we tell the person at the desk "I'd like the ballot for the _____ party?" I don't remember doing this in the past and I thought I've been unaffiliated for several years now.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:59 PM

221 posts, read 203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
So, do we tell the person at the desk "I'd like the ballot for the _____ party?" I don't remember doing this in the past and I thought I've been unaffiliated for several years now.
Yep. Pretty much this. Actually, once you confirm your name and address, and they see that you're unaffiliated, they ask you which ballot you would like.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
I am not affiliated with any political party but I am interested in voting in the primaries this year. I took a look at the NC BOE site and I was surprised to see it's a semi-closed system. I just wanted a sanity check from you good folks, since I've never lived in a state with a semi-closed primary. According to the site, I am able to vote in the primary without declaring a for a specific party. Am I reading that correctly?
Yes, in fact, being Unaffiliated gives you the most choice in the Primaries! They will ask you whether you want a Republican, Democratic, or Unaffiliated ballot--I always pick the one for the party that's more important for me, either choosing which of two candidates I like the best in the party I tend to vote for, or voting AGAINST the one I like least in the opposite party.

If you vote in a primary and the other party has a Primary runoff, you won't be able to vote, however (I found this out one year). Runoffs are only available to those who voted the first time around, in that party (they do keep track of which ballot they give you).

PUBLIC SERVICE REMINDER: THE PRIMARY HAS BEEN MOVED UP THIS YEAR FROM MAY TO MARCH! DEADLINE TO REGISTER OR CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS IS FEBRUARY 19.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, in fact, being Unaffiliated gives you the most choice in the Primaries! They will ask you whether you want a Republican, Democratic, or Unaffiliated ballot--I always pick the one for the party that's more important for me, either choosing which of two candidates I like the best in the party I tend to vote for, or voting AGAINST the one I like least in the opposite party.

If you vote in a primary and the other party has a Primary runoff, you won't be able to vote, however (I found this out one year). Runoffs are only available to those who voted the first time around, in that party (they do keep track of which ballot they give you).

PUBLIC SERVICE REMINDER: THE PRIMARY HAS BEEN MOVED UP THIS YEAR FROM MAY TO MARCH! DEADLINE TO REGISTER OR CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS IS FEBRUARY 19.
I believe you can pick from Democratic, Republican or Libertarian ballots in the primary. I don't think there is such a thing as an unaffiliated ballot.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I believe you can pick from Democratic, Republican or Libertarian ballots in the primary. I don't think there is such a thing as an unaffiliated ballot.
Actually there is, for things like Bonds, Constitutional Amendments, etc that are not a "person" running. But you're right; I left off Libertarian.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually there is, for things like Bonds, Constitutional Amendments, etc that are not a "person" running. But you're right; I left off Libertarian.
Wouldn't those issues (bonds, amendments) appear on all 3 partisan ballots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary