Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 15,205 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

What are your thoughts? I am buying a new townhome. For resale value shall I choose entire hardwood floors vs carpet in bedrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:30 AM

19,361 posts, read 27,580,268 times
Assuming you don't have kids or lors of big dogs, I'd go with the hardwoods throughout.

But I suspect it's a pretty subjective decision. Maybe one of our realtor posters can give their expert opinion.

off topic - I REALLY hope you've got your own Realtor for thus transaction and are not relying on the builder's agent to 'represent' you? They won't.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:41 AM

43,028 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Hardwoods all the way, if you personally really like it, and if they are not too awfully expensive.

Yes, some people on resale will want carpet, but more and more the hardwood lovers take into account that they will need to install them. And, no matter what you do for carpet, some people won't like it and some people will replace it if it is more than a few years old.

And, if it is cheap engineered wood, I might go carpet. If it is prefinished "real" wood, I would definitely lean toward wood.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-17-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,526,486 times
Hardwood. It's a lot easier for a buyer to look at hardwood and see carpeting or area rug possibilities than it is to see carpet and wonder what's underneath.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,138,591 times
Hardwoods, if they are affordable. Builder charges 2 to 3 times what you could get out in the area, unless you negotiated a better price.

Hardwoods, especially if you plan on moving in 5 years or so. If so, you'll need to keep that carpet clean and stain free or you'll need to replace it.

If you go with hardwoods, they are easier to maintain and when it is time to sell, it will be less costly. Just keep in mind that if you are going with hardwoods upstairs, you will hear a bit more noise, downstairs. I can actually hear my cat walking upstairs on the hardwood, when I'm downstairs!!!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:50 AM

514 posts, read 599,334 times
I can't disagree with my fellow realtors here. Hardwoods are preferable for most, or at least not going to limit your potential buyers.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 15,205 times
Builder installing engineered hardwood, not the real hardwood. And if i take a decent carpet the difference between the two is ~6-8k. is it reasonable?

Old 01-17-2016, 01:04 PM

43,028 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardthinker007 View Post
Builder installing engineered hardwood, not the real hardwood. And if i take a decent carpet the difference between the two is ~6-8k. is it reasonable?
Total SF $6-$8,000 get you?

Do YOU like hardwoods better than carpet?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:01 PM

121 posts, read 158,167 times
I'd choose hardwood all the way. We have the same thoughts regarding our home, about carpet vs hardwood. We can't do carpet since DH has allergy (which could reduce potential seller in your case).

Food for thought, we ended up with bamboo hardwood. This particular brand, Cali Bamboo Bamboo Flooring - World's Hardest Floors Shipped Direct to You - Cali Bamboo, has one of the hardest hardwood and hardest surface coating (10 layers vs normally 3 layers) I found. I tested it by (slightly) scratch-test and drop-test them against other samples in the shop, even against exotic tropical hardwood. They also has same thickness of refinish-able layer as the solid hardwood/highest-end engineered wood floor. The cost is the same as plain oak flooring. The result is very much like wood.

*One/two bad reviews of bending etc you'll read is about the click lock expand/contract, which the installer told us will not happen if you give division between room/long areas. We use the click lock for a year and have been very happy with it. Very scratch resistant and still looks like new. Otherwise their tongue and groove works really well too, it is just the T&G has no color we want at that time.

If you are looking for hardwood, don't forget to check the good underlayment to reduce the noise on 1st floor and thickness of refinishable surface. Many engineered wood can only be refinished again 1 more time (thin top veneer, unless if you pay top price), vs solid that can be 3x more.

PM me if you want more info of hardwood and installer that we used (we are very happy with him).

Old 01-17-2016, 02:10 PM

121 posts, read 158,167 times
Actually, after I think about it, I'd say just choose whichever you like.

New buyer will just change the flooring when they come to it (like us) that fits their preference. We actually like that our house has old carpet because we can change it to the hardwood that we like before we move in. A lot of new house has dark and wavy engineered wood floor that we really don't like.

You might be selling the townhouse slightly lower in the future, but probably around the same cost difference between the hardwood and carpet price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary