Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:31 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocvc2015 View Post
I guess we are most concerned about the weather (colder winters, humidity, potential for severe weather with hurricanes and ice storms), traffic congestion especially in the Cary area and finding enough for two retired people to do in a college town.
Chapel Hill/Carrborro has a lot of retirees. Some worry/complain that its mostly retired folk and students there, and prices out families.

Quote:
Thanks to all for your help. I typed a reply already but don't see it so will type again. Not sure about the weather. As you know usually nice and sunny here. I seems that it is rainy or cloudy there about 1 out of 3 days. Is that true?
I don't find it to be like that at all, but you may well disagree with that. Its all about perspective. Coming from northern climes, this is much nicer, sunnier, and the days are longer. You may well find the opposite.

Quote:
Finally my wife is concerned about the insects. Here we have an exterminator for the scorpions. Will we need an exterminator there? I am sure there will be more questions. Thanks, again.
Lots of homeowners have one come once or twice a year. I was worried about the bugs when I came down, but really don't notice them. There are mosquitoes, but they aren't worse than most other places I've lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 11:17 PM

20 posts, read 22,814 times
My wife and I are going to NC to look at houses in april. We will have about 1 and 1/2 days on our own. We are still undecided about moving. Any suggestions for must see places or restaurants for out of towners?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:00 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
My wife and I are going to NC to look at houses in april. We will have about 1 and 1/2 days on our own. We are still undecided about moving. Any suggestions for must see places or restaurants for out of towners?
You probably should have started a new thread, but what I always recommend to folks considering relocating is that the "must see" places are what matters to your everyday life and happiness if you were living here.

For DH, that was pool halls. For me, it included grocery stores that I liked. We both wanted a wide variety of ethnic restaurants, movie theaters that regularly showed indie films, and nearby pubs. Some of this can be researched online, not all of it.

In other words, "must see" is dependent on the reason you are visiting.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:04 AM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

The most important part of your decision IMHO won't be which town you move to. It will be which community you move into. Personally, The Preserve is lovely, but unless you are a homebody, it's not a location that's suitable for new seniors. We looked at it and said No Way, it's too far away from stuff as was far east Mesa.)
This is so very true. The advantage of a more senior-oriented community is that people are moving in and want to make new friends. You just need to find a community where the residents share your interests.

I moved here last year from the Northeast and also find that people here are much friendlier -- much cheerier, in fact. Everyday encounters are far more pleasant because of this. And while there is a bit of bad weather in the winter, it's brief. Once this winter I stayed home for three days after an ice storm, but for the other ice storm it was a matter of hours until the roads were clear. And right now it is magnificent.

Also, the Apex/ Cary area might not be for you...my impression is that most areas revolve around families with children. They are beautiful though and you might just find the right place, especially if you have friends there already.

So while there is a bit of bad weather, and not every day is sunny, it's a gorgeous, friendly area with lots to do, cultural, recreational, outside and inside. And no more dust storms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary