Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,878 times

Advertisements

As someone who's lived elsewhere in the world where there's plentiful public transport (bus, overground rail and underground to name the most popular), the Triangle should get at least a better bus system and start building a rail network.

However, the rail network should definitely include a stop at RDU Airport and connect with downtowns of Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Durham.

In the five years I've been living here, the traffic has gotten worse and it will only get worse and improved buses (frequency and network) and a rail system will help alleviate traffic and allow other folk to get from A to B more quickly.

I am not adverse to paying a little more in taxes to help fund this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:26 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I support it, however most of the stuff I've seen still leaves a huge gap in the area where most commuting occurs: north Raleigh/Wake Forest to RTP. The only rail proposal I've seen would require driving to a rail station near Capital, then riding from there through Raleigh and Cary before getting to RTP. That's just not reasonable. There needs to be an express rail line that generally follows the route of 540 IMO.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM

403 posts, read 929,645 times
The biggest hurdle will be the perception of mass transit in the south. Many people still see transit here as something for poor people who can't afford their own vehicle. That's largely due to the fact that transit in the south is just terrible as a general rule (infrequent buses, no shelter at stops, etc.). I'm so very impressed that Charlotte got their line off the ground. That really shows you it can be done in a forward thinking, prosperous Southern city. The Triangle prides itself on being so educated and forward thinking, but I want to see some leadership on key issues like this. It looks like a first class line they got going in Charlotte, and if the Triangle doesn't get with it now---it will get left in the dust IMO. They need to be quick though--put this thing to a vote and get moving. Just get one line going (in concert with expanded bus, streetcars, etc.) and build public support on the strength of a well performing line. I do agree with needing a line from North Raleigh to RTP as well.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM

282 posts, read 835,195 times
The thing with rail is - it will cost a lot more if you wait for the area to build up. As the area gets more built up, it becomes almost impossible to put in rail lines. And it does become impossible to do so without highly popular things like eminent domain and digging major holes into existing areas. If you think about how hard it would be today, think about what it would look like in 10 years when the area has continued to build.

The time to plan for rail is BEFORE you need it. A star system with a loop/belt would be rather effective even now.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 PM

355 posts, read 1,502,650 times
I'd pay for it. We really need public transport. Its time people got rid of their monster SUV/Minivans and ride the T.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
We really must choke sprawl by building no more roads that only make things worse.
Density makes rail work.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 AM

185 posts, read 686,837 times
Come to Tampa and see what happens with no off road transit.

You'll realize how rail keeps the downtowns thriving and the quiet bedroom communities quiet.

Unless you like vast undifferentiated tracts of 6 lane roads covered with strip malls. I guess someone does.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:20 AM

185 posts, read 686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We really must choke sprawl by building no more roads that only make things worse.
Density makes rail work.
And rail creates it's own density. Businesses and service industries (restaurant/entertainment) naturally gravitate to transit stations, creating unique, identifiable urban neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary