Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Depends on the time you're leaving vs time of the storm, how far west you are heading. If your heading toward mountains then the snow only will get heavier.
As mention the state does excellent job with pre-treatment with brine, and plows interstates when it can. If it rains or freezing rain the brine washes off the road so ineffective. The best bet is leave to before storm or wait til Sunday as it predicted to be in the 40's. Heading west on I40 is heading right in smack of it with heavier amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You are pretty mistaken.

I have driven on snow while living in IOWA for 8 years, everyone did. But Iowa was equipped for snow, and people were used to it. Even then, the first snow each year saw lots of wrecks.

A lot has to do with money. Up north and in the midwest towns and cities have massive snow removal equipment and they can keep the roads passable. That stuff is expensive and it would a huge tax burden for using it only once or twice a year, at most.

Additionally, the farther north you go, the more snow and less ice. Yeah, you can drive on snow, but not on ice.

Finally, we don't drive on snow/ice that much, so people realize their vulnerabilities and don't go all macho on each other. A school bus wreck on a patch of ice trumps a day of school anywhere.

I live in a small town in MO. The major highways here are usually well plowed and treated, but my little town does not plow or treat roads at all (we don't even have our own police department). They can be treacherous when the snow is more than a few inches deep. I don't find driving on 2" of snow in MO any different than driving on snow in NC.

But you're right, we don't get a lot of ice here like down south. I will not drive on ice, nor should anyone.

I think the biggest thing I noticed was that down south, people fear driving in snow. I guess it makes sense because they don't get a lot of snow. But most of it is just hype. Like I said earlier, my parents and grandparents find it crazy that I have to go to work with 5" of snow on the ground. Raleigh would be completely shut down with that amount of snow. I tell them that if we shut everything down for snow here, I'd never go to work in the winter because there is pretty much always snow on the ground.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:11 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
THIS is the type of thing you need be be careful of in icy/snowy conditions there. Tap/click on screen to play.

https://www.facebook.com/streetfx/vi...5188007030112/

Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 AM

282 posts, read 820,457 times
Everyone enjoys comparing NC to the north so I'm going to jump on the bandwagon:

I lived outside Buffalo, NY prior to moving to Cary, NC. I drove through massive amounts of snowfall. We could get over 3 feet during the night and still be at work the next morning.

After moving to NC I laughed at everyone freaking out over a couple inches. Until I hit my first ice patch, I handled it well and made it through find, but it was clear message. The precipitation in NC is VERY different than the north east. The warmer temperatures seem to cause slush and ice, not wonderful powder. Each mile reacts differently and typically there is very little traction. Add to that the smaller budgets for equipment and it becomes a real danger. Yes the snow can be easy to drive in, but it's hard to determine that line between snow and icy mix.

I have years of experience driving through snow storms, but I hate going out on the roads during winter storms here in NC.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
Hey guys.
I'm new to the Triangle. Wilmington before this, originally from NY. (so I am used to bad weather).
But with this storm I am curious, do they treat the roads at all down here?

I have to be on 40 tomorrow afternoon. I have a Jeep, but that won't help if it's ice.

Thanks.
Do you HAVE to be on 40?

Because, if you're meeting people who are from around here, they are likely not to expect you if we get enough ice to cause problems on 40.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:31 AM

288 posts, read 413,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Depends on the time you're leaving vs time of the storm, how far west you are heading. If your heading toward mountains then the snow only will get heavier.
As mention the state does excellent job with pre-treatment with brine, and plows interstates when it can. If it rains or freezing rain the brine washes off the road so ineffective. The best bet is leave to before storm or wait til Sunday as it predicted to be in the 40's. Heading west on I40 is heading right in smack of it with heavier amounts.
I'll probably be leaving around 2 or 3. Only going from Durham to Raleigh and back.
And unfortunately, I pretty much do have to make the drive.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
I'll probably be leaving around 2 or 3. Only going from Durham to Raleigh and back.
And unfortunately, I pretty much do have to make the drive.
Be very careful. I hope your trip goes well.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:33 AM

514 posts, read 602,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyzbo View Post
Everyone enjoys comparing NC to the north so I'm going to jump on the bandwagon:

I lived outside Buffalo, NY prior to moving to Cary, NC. I drove through massive amounts of snowfall. We could get over 3 feet during the night and still be at work the next morning.

After moving to NC I laughed at everyone freaking out over a couple inches. Until I hit my first ice patch, I handled it well and made it through find, but it was clear message. The precipitation in NC is VERY different than the north east. The warmer temperatures seem to cause slush and ice, not wonderful powder. Each mile reacts differently and typically there is very little traction. Add to that the smaller budgets for equipment and it becomes a real danger. Yes the snow can be easy to drive in, but it's hard to determine that line between snow and icy mix.

I have years of experience driving through snow storms, but I hate going out on the roads during winter storms here in NC.
I love this post and truly appreciate it. In my time here, I have heard more times than I can count how you get used to it, how it is nothing compared to further north and how locals just don't know how to drive in it. I agree completely with what you said. Driving in snow, with traction, is totally different than driving on ice where your tires just won't gain any.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
If I recall, the main issue with 40 was with the ramps. People tend to slide of those or into other vehicles. If I recall we had one instance where a fuel truck overturned on an overpass.

Here's an example from last year where it wasn't even freezing rain. Just wet roads that froze overnight... January, 2015 Icy Roads
Avoid any cambered elevated ramp/road way. For instance, the ramp from I-40 east onto 540 north, and 15-501 North when it breaks away from business 15-501 near Target/South Square in Durham.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM

703 posts, read 780,265 times
Quote:
So in your guys' experience with storms like this around here, do you think i40 will be drivable tomorrow? Even if we do get ice?
You might want to google "snowmaggedon 2014 Raleigh" for some photos of what the roads looked like here 2 years ago with a bit of snow on top of some ice...

I haven't checked this entire thread, but I would find it hard to believe that this photo hasn't already been introduced...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary